from BB to Samsung Note.. !

This is a discussion on from BB to Samsung Note.. ! within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi All, am not a tech community freak - but the process of getting used to my new Android sphone (Samsung Note) seems to have ...

Thread: from BB to Samsung Note.. !

from BB to Samsung Note.. !

Hi All,
    am not a tech community freak - but the process of getting used to my new Android sphone (Samsung Note) seems to have pushed me to become a part of the Android community ! I hope i will be able to prove my pal that Blackberry is really better than Android and I also hope to be beaten down on this bet for I have already drilled my pocket 700$ in buying the new NOTE !

1. BB Desktop Manager gives an option to delete unwanted languages to free-up memory. My Note has some 600 languages ) Freaking ! Like others, I at best know 2-3 languages and its best to delete the rest. Can someone help how do I do this ?

2. BB contacts have a field called Notes, where one can make notes about the contacts. I often save some details here for my contacts. In BB one can directly copy the contents from the notes and reuse them / paste them. Say, if there is a number saved in notes field, one can simply move the phone's cursor and directly call that number / copy the number. That's not the case in my new Android Phone ! Or am I doing something wrong ? Can someone help ?

3. Its so simple in BB to configure one's Microsoft email accounts ... its equally difficult in Android phones. Are the Android developers hearing ?

4. BBM is just awesome - I don't think there is anything from Android that can beat this beast !

5. This is more operator / location specific but nonetheless worth mentioning : operators have amazing data plans for BB and iPhones - not for Android / Samsung phones ! Its time Samsung matches up every premium service that iPhone provides - even if that's in collaboration with the mobile operator.

Many thanks

Rohit
    Last edited by RohitM; 12-02-2011 at 02:43 AM.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    Hello there and to the forum!

That's a good-sized list of issues there. I cannot answer all of them as I have no experience with a BlackBerry other than a Storm (that I couldn't figure out how to use and HATED), but I can answer some of them.

To answer point 1:

You have 16GB of internal storage and 1GB of RAM. You have more than enough space and memory -- and if space is an issue then you have a MicroSD slot that can give you up to another 32GB of storage. If you really wish to get rid of them, you can root your device (which would void your warranty but should be simple as it is a Samsung device) and delete them that way.

To answer point 2:

Any text input box can be used to copy/paste to and from. Rather than typing up an explanation that most likely would be less clear than this one, I'm going to use it.

Cut, Copy and Paste is very important operation that we need in our phone. Android phones are having these features and they are having simple simple way to do so as well. First of all, how to copy or cut a selected text. To do so, long press on the text that you want to cut or copy, and then you will see few options including copy, select all, cut etc. on scree. Select “Copy” from that screen. Now go to the text box where you want to paste the text. Long press on the text box to get some options again on your screen. There you go, you will see “Paste” as an option. Select paste from the menu to paste the copied text on this new text box. Here is a video showing cut, copy, paste operation on Android phone.
    To answer point 3:

This has been a thorn in the side of a lot of former BlackBerry and various professionals. I am unaware of an easy solution, but the joy of Android is that there may be an app in the Android Market that would do it for you. Your best bet would be to look and see.

And, since I forgot to mention it before, try the K9Mail app, free from the Market. It really is very good and comes very highly recommended.

https://market.android.com/details?i...S5mc2NrLms5Il0.

To answer point 4:

BBM? BlackBerry Manager? Or what? I'm unsure of what you are referring to.

To answer Point 5:

That would be entirely up to your carrier. Unfortunately they feel they can take advantage of non-Apple and non-RIM users since we happen to be newer. Give it time, and file complaints (and ask your friends to file complaints as well!) and maybe things will change.

Give your new device a chance. Play with it, learn it, see what all you can do with it, and maybe you will find that you like it better. The increased flexibility and fun factor, as well as all the customizations you can do for free to make your Note truly YOURS, may be very compelling after you've familiarized yourself with it more. However, if you feel that RIM meets your needs more than the Note does then hopefully you'll be able to get good value for selling your used Note.
    Last edited by furbearingmammal; 12-02-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Added app suggestion.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

@furbearingmammal

seems you are burning a lot of your night oil to help people on this forum - am glad/ seems like Android is 'happy to help'

point1: how do i root my phone ? indeed you have a point, by deleting if I can only free-up few KBs of memory whats the point of playing with the phones warranty ! How much memory do you think this will free-up ?

point2: when I long press the contact, I only get the option of 'Send contact information'. Don't see a cut,copy,paste option.

point3: will test the link

point4: bbm - blackberry messanger.

point5:

Thanks

Welcome to the site.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    BlackBerry Messenger -- yes, that is an awesome product. There are options, but nothing quite as great as the BBM, on the Market. I'm a big fan of eBuddy as it does everything I need it to and a few I don't, but if you have BBM users that you need to get in contact with then I would suggest you tell them sign up for a Google Talk account.

Notes for your contacts are buried in the contact editor. Scroll down and see what you can find. Then you can copy/paste the text in the note field into other contacts. It may not be as elegant as the solution offered by RIM, but I know you can also access some or all of this via your GMail account on a computer.

At best I'd say you'd free up a few megabytes of storage by deleting those languages. If you want to keep your warranty then I'd avoid rooting until the year it lasts is up. It's not worth the work or the loss of warranty, unless you're one of those users who just HAS to root (like me). :D If you do want to start messing with your Note, I'd suggest looking into ODIN. It's a good program.

I am a bit of a nightowl. Comes from not having a regular-hours job. So you'll see me on mid-afternoon to late at night, depending on what I'm doing that day. The Android community is very helpful, on the whole, and the Forum Foundry prides ourselves on serving our userbase.
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links