droidhead

This is a discussion on droidhead within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I am new to this site but have had 2 droid phones now. Current phone is an Epic and that is why I am now ...

Thread: droidhead

Cool droidhead

I am new to this site but have had 2 droid phones now. Current phone is an Epic and that is why I am now on all the sites for Android phones. The Epic I still have not seen the OTA update to Froyo -- I do have the DK28 version on my phone. Going through all the forums about updates, rooting and roms is quite interesting. Sprint is telling me they will give me an EVO since my Epic does not meet my expectations and I am deciding what to do. Keep the Epic and hack the hell out of it or go for an EVO or the new EVO shift if it comes to Sprint. Anyway, glad to be a member!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Welcome to the site! I can tell you that if you are planning on rooting, the EVO is the way to go. We've got an incredibly active developer community with a TON of custom ROMs, kernels, mods, etc... Dev support for the epic is very lacking right now. The Shift looks cool but I think it's going to be a step backwards from the Evo or the Epic.

I would recommend the EVO as well. Awesome phone, plenty of ROMs available. I wouldn't wait for the EVO Shift, unless you just really like the physical keyboard. What kind of problems are you having with the Epic. My buddy has one and he's had no issues with it at all.

Epic issues

I am having problems with the GPS, the last time it worked it put me 8 miles from my location. Sprint is willing to swap it out for an EVO, which I will probably do. The EVO shift I do believe will only have a 3.7 inch screen, which is on the small side. I sent Sprint another email today saying why can`t they give me an Epic that works, and with Froyo on it. They first suggested this on 12/24 which is why I stated then I doubted an OTA update would occur. I like the EVO but I have a new case, and a 2nd battery and charger for the Epic.....I am sure I can give them to a friend who I saw today. I asked him if his GPS worked and he said it was perfect. He turned it on and got nothing. You can get a new EVO now for $99 and if it comes down to that I will just give my son my Epic and the hell with Sprint. Thanks for the feedback on the EVO........I am sure I will soon have one in my hand.

The GPS issues are well documented with the Epic. There are some fixes out there that will improve the performance. If you are gonna root, you can get Froyo ROMs easy enough. And most include the GPS fixes in them.

Here's a link to one of the workarounds.

http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-sup...d-working.html

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for the info and I do believe the EVO is the way to go now for sure. I do not use the slide out keyboard too much anymore since I can just talk into the phone and text the easy way! Plus the large size of the EVO screen should make it easier to use the touchscreen keyboard. I will try the work around for the GPS and play with this phone since I will wipe it clean when I send it back to Sprint........I may see if they will give me and EVO shift, but the screen is only 3.7".

I would just like to thank everyone for the input. I took the leaked Froyo update off of my phone and flashed it back to 2.1 using Odin. Same issues and now I hate 2.1 to say the least. I have talked to Sprint and they are supposed to send me a new EVO, as most suggested to me. I did try the GPS fix and added an app called GPS test and the Epic still would not put me with-in 2 miles of my house. It will pick up 8 satellites but will only get weak reception from 2 and maybe e at best. It also shows the strength of the signals and none were high enough to get a good reading. Now I am waiting for my EVO and I will have some fun. ,

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links