Getting New Sprint Epic 4G....Need Suggestions!

This is a discussion on Getting New Sprint Epic 4G....Need Suggestions! within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Howdy, my name is joe, and i'm buying an sprint epic tommrw. I've been with sprint for years, and have so many contracts it's frightening. ...

Thread: Getting New Sprint Epic 4G....Need Suggestions!

Junior Member justsmith@sbcglobal.net's Avatar

Getting New Sprint Epic 4G....Need Suggestions!

Howdy, my name is joe, and i'm buying an sprint epic tommrw. I've been with sprint for years, and have so many contracts it's frightening. I'm not qualified for an upgrade (bought a LG Lotus Elite 6 months ago) but yesterday upgraded my daughters phone to the intercept. Fell in love with the epic. I like a physical keyboard. Went on craigslist, and found a guy who has an unboxed epic and was asking $400, which no way for me. I'm unemployed, and basically being a brat by buying a phone I really don't need. The elite is a good phone, but slow. He is gonna sell it to me tomorrow for $275 (no rebates, tax, etc!!) which to me is a serious bargain. Gonna meet him at the sprint store to make sure all is cool. Wanted to know any tips on this phone. I am not a techie!! I want some of the cool apps they have though,which i understand on the android system are usually free. (Police scanner, yikes, how cool,) Any other advice. I do not get 4g in my area, so i'm not sure if i should even have wi-fi turned on. Again, my apologies, but i'm a novice. The only other touch pad phone I had was the first generation Instinct, which I hit with a baseball bat....what a piece of junk. Thanks for your patience, and any advice you can give me concerning battery life, add-on free applications, etc is greatly appreciated. for instance, now that my daughter has the baby android (intercept) can speak on phone with video? Too any questions.
    Thanks, and glad you're here.
    joe

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

@Justsmith: Read the various battery life threads on here and elsewhere.

http://www.sprintdroids.com/forum/ht...tery-life.html

That's for the EVO but most will apply to your phone as well.

Keep the 4G radio off except when you know you will be in an area with 4G coverage. Even though you don't have coverage now, just having the phone will subject you to the 10.00 "we don't charge for 4G but you still have to pay" premium data charge.

Apps are found in the market. Many are free, and the ones that cost money are usually just a couple of bucks. Use the ratings to weed out the junk apps. I usually d/l a bunch of similar apps and try them, then dump the ones I don't want.

Also check out http://www.sprintdroids.com/forum/sp...have-apps.html

I have an unlimited plan, and even with only 3G coverage, I don't use WiFi at home, because some apps apparently don't sync properly unless you are on Sprint's network. I will switch to WiFi to game or watch some high-bandwidth content that would break up and stall on the 3G network.

As far as getting notifications by email, I think they are turned on by default, or maybe you get a daily summary. You can change the settings by going to your user Control Panel. Under Options, there is a default subscription mode. Set that. If it's anything other than "Do not subscribe" you will be subscribed to any thread you start or reply to. To subscribe to other threads, at the top, pick "Thread Tools" then select "Subscribe to this thread".

Good luck with your new phone, and welcome to SprintDroids!
    I gave my iPhone to my 5 year old and got an EVO.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links