From Impression to Backflip

This is a discussion on From Impression to Backflip within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hey everyone. I have a Samsung Impression, and it has to be the worst phone experience I've had. I restart it at least twice a ...

Thread: From Impression to Backflip

From Impression to Backflip

Hey everyone. I have a Samsung Impression, and it has to be the worst phone experience I've had. I restart it at least twice a day in order to be able to send text messages. I'm looking to buy a new phone. Now that AT&T has an Android phone, I've been looking into the Backflip. I've heard so many bad things about it so I'm not sure whether or not to buy it. I have a few questions.

Does it ever get laggy or freeze?

How often do you find yourself restarting the device in order to get it to function properly?

How useful is MotoBlur?

Also, what can we do with the Backflip once it is rooted?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Cannot respond to some of it since I donot have the phone either. Still trying to make up my mind.

But the last question is simple anything we want. But there does not seem to be alot of people working on the backflip to try and get it rooted. Not sure if it is because of what at&t did to the phone or the fact it is running the old OS and since the moto site says it is upgradeable to 2.1 they are waiting for it to start work.

All the complaints about the BackFlip are from people who have never even used the device. Even some of the so-called professional reviews are suspect because there are definite inaccuracies in some of their statements.

The so-called "lock down" is nothing more than a Yahoo instead of Google widget and the removal of the option to install from untrusted sources. Both of these items can be worked around and are not a big deal at all.

MotoBlur is outstanding if you like to do a lot of messaging/social networking. It's also great for the news widgets and the modifications to the home are great as well. Most Android phones use the standard home app. Because of this, the phone and contact apps are only available through the app drawer or a specific home screen. MotoBlur keeps both of these items on every home screen. They do this by docking them to the app drawer area of the home screen. I have a Moto Droid for work and I find the BackFlip a much better device. A big reason for that is the MotoBlur enhancements. The BackFlip also has a custom camera app where the Droid uses the standard android camera app.

All in all, I feel that Motorola created a great design in this phone. The keyboard is great for me and the overall feel of the phone is excellent.

Android Addict marvin_attdroids's Avatar
    deleted by author

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
    All the complaints about the BackFlip are from people who have never even used the device. Even some of the so-called professional reviews are suspect because there are definite inaccuracies in some of their statements.

The so-called "lock down" is nothing more than a Yahoo instead of Google widget and the removal of the option to install from untrusted sources. Both of these items can be worked around and are not a big deal at all.

MotoBlur is outstanding if you like to do a lot of messaging/social networking. It's also great for the news widgets and the modifications to the home are great as well. Most Android phones use the standard home app. Because of this, the phone and contact apps are only available through the app drawer or a specific home screen. MotoBlur keeps both of these items on every home screen. They do this by docking them to the app drawer area of the home screen. I have a Moto Droid for work and I find the BackFlip a much better device. A big reason for that is the MotoBlur enhancements. The BackFlip also has a custom camera app where the Droid uses the standard android camera app.

All in all, I feel that Motorola created a great design in this phone. The keyboard is great for me and the overall feel of the phone is excellent.
    I am with you my biggest worry right now is will it get upgraded to 2.1. And if it gets 2.1 will it get flash. That is what is stopping me from buying right now. Since there are so many android phones comming to At&T this year there is plenty of choice to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by quetzalcoatl View Post
    I am with you my biggest worry right now is will it get upgraded to 2.1. And if it gets 2.1 will it get flash. That is what is stopping me from buying right now. Since there are so many android phones comming to At&T this year there is plenty of choice to go around.
    my wifey works for att, and according to the conversation she had last week with the moto rep, 2.1 will be here via ota by end of june, beginning of july...at&t did as much as possible to keep apple and s jobs happy when they launched android, thus yahoo instead of google, and not installing unofficial apps (attempting to make android look no better than the iphone)

i came over from an 3gs to the backflip the day it launched and could not be happier.....i ABSOLUTELY LOVE the android OS....completely pwns the iphone in practically every area.

Quote Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    My wife has an Impression and I came from an Eternity. The Backflip is a better than either, but don't expect snap dragon performance from it.

Never frozen, there are times when it seems slow. This is usually right after power on when everything is starting up.

The only time I HAD to restart or reset was due to the bluetooth seeming to be confused. My phone would pair with my vehicle radio for phone use, but would not stream music over the bluetooth.

That depends. I don't use it. But I did add my wife's FB account to the phone to check out how that works and if you are really into the social networking you will use it everyday. I think the biggest complaint is that you can't customize who you want to follow or have updated on the phone, so sometimes there is too much info.

These are great responses but nobody is going to know how it works for you nut you, give it a shot if you dont like it take it back
    FOLLOW ME ON
    http://twitter.com/dchandler326
    If you have any questions my email is dchandler@backflipforums.com

Quote Originally Posted by creasy425 View Post
    my wifey works for att, and according to the conversation she had last week with the moto rep, 2.1 will be here via ota by end of june, beginning of july...at&t did as much as possible to keep apple and s jobs happy when they launched android, thus yahoo instead of google, and not installing unofficial apps (attempting to make android look no better than the iphone)

i came over from an 3gs to the backflip the day it launched and could not be happier.....i ABSOLUTELY LOVE the android OS....completely pwns the iphone in practically every area.
    Thks good to know. So the next step is will it support flash or not? But the way I understand the update procedure is moto rolls it to the carrier and they give the heads up to roll it to us. So AT&T could still hold it up.

Thank you all for responding. The BackFlip has a lot of potential and I am leaning towards picking one up soon. I just want to make sure this phone will be a great experience and that I get what I pay for. I know the Impression was not worth $200. I've gone through three replacement phones. I definitely don't want to go through that again.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links