Hello B'flip users

This is a discussion on Hello B'flip users within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Hi - my name is Randy. I just switched from a BB Curve to the 'flip. I am dissapointed at the usual stuff, ATT bloatware ...

Thread: Hello B'flip users

Fair Oaks, CA

Cool Hello B'flip users

Hi - my name is Randy. I just switched from a BB Curve to the 'flip. I am dissapointed at the usual stuff, ATT bloatware and lock-down of android software choices. I am still in the return stage of my ownership and may take my phone back to Costco. I am here to learn about how to use, modify, alter, etc. my new phone. I would really like to upgrade to version 2.1 and understand that MOTO will be working on that soon, but will ATT be releasing this to us sheeple?

Thanks for having this forum,

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

When I purchased mine, I asked specifically about upgrading to 2.1. He assured me that they would be doing that. Of course, he also provided me with a lot of misinformation like suggesting that if we paid the full price for the phone, our monthly bill would be less since we wouldn't be paying for the phone over time. Soooo... take that with a large grain of salt

There is definitely a 2.1 update for the Backflip planned by Motorola. It is supposed to happen sometime in Q3. It is also generally believed that we will probably get one or maybe more updates before then as well, but they will probably still be 1.5 I would think.

See this news post on the main page:

I am sure that AT&T will allow the updates to be released because Motorola specified that it was the USA Backflip that they are working on, and this is currently only available through AT&T. So I'm sure Motorola wouldn't be spending a bunch of effort to create this update if they weren't sure AT&T would allow it to be released.

What we don't know is whether AT&T will require them to keep in place the limitations that the Backflip currently has or not. I am hoping that with the backlash from the way they locked Android down on the Backflip, these restrictions will be removed in subsequent updates, but no one knows for sure. They could potentially even lock it down more by disabling the ability to install non-market apps through USB if that is what they are really trying to do.

Both of your major problems can be somewhat fixed. Blowware can be hidden using several peices of software. I use Pandahome desktop replacement and it has an iconhide option that I use. There is also software that all it does is hides icons for you. Second I have install several peices of non market app all you need to do is hook it up to computer and use dev software to upload the applications and install them works fine. I wont go into details here about how to do it their are some threads about that already but if you need help installing non market apps let me know.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links