Thinking about getting a backflip....should I?

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting a backflip....should I? within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; I really like what I see, but am concerned about a lot of bad reviews - mostly that it freezes, drops calls, short battery life, ...

View Poll Results: Atrix vs Inspire 4G?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atrix

2 25.00%
  • Inspire 4G

6 75.00%

Thread: Thinking about getting a backflip....should I?

Question Thinking about getting a backflip....should I?

I really like what I see, but am concerned about a lot of bad reviews - mostly that it freezes, drops calls, short battery life, At&t bloatware (which comes with all their phones anyway,) and about the older operating system. Is that just a lot of hooey from techno geeks that expect miracles from their phones or what? I currently have a Nokia E71x, (basically a FakeBerry) I love it, but it's time to upgrade. The backflip seems to be great for email, texting, facebook etc. It also seems to have a good music player. It's cheaper than the Blackberry and from what I hear has more apps available. I want to be able to listen to podcasts, play music, maybe even watch tv on my phone while I work out. I'm more PC than apple, and I really want to have a physical keyboard. It seems the backflip is perfect, but some say I should wait for other At&t Android phones to come out. What do you all think?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The Backflip does have some issues, but I have been happy with mine so far. There are certainly more powerful Androids available on AT&T now, but the Backflip is a nice mid-range Android, and it is the only one offered on AT&T with a physical keyboard (and likely will be for some time).

In my opinion the main things the Backflip is hurting for are Android 2.1 (which we are supposedly getting sometime this quarter) and root (which I have heard may be easier once 2.1 is released). So if you are a patient person you could just wait a bit and see how these things pan out, or if you are willing to take a little risk, I would say go for it

I love my backflip so far and bloatware and old OS excluded I've experienced none of the issues you mention.It runs circles around my cousin's blackberry bold not only in the app realm, but almost in all respects.
    All in all it's a pretty decent phone even if it doesn't have the latest specs, I see no reason it wouldn't work for you.

I came to the Backflip via a Nokia E63, which is almost identical to the E71, so I'll give you my $.02. The screen is quite a bit larger and is a touch screen on the Backflip, which are big improvements over the E71. I will have to say that the OS is less stable than the good old S60 3rd edition on the E71, but not so much so that it is a deal breaker. I haven't had many crashes, but it does get laggy at times. I have never had any call issues, so I can't comment there. I prefer the Backflip for almost every single thing that you have listed, especially texting and facebook and the like. The Backflip's keyboard is absolutely huge by comparison with the E71, but that can be a double edged sword, as it makes it much harder to type one-handed. Of course you can then just use the on-screen keyboard, which is not an option on the Nokia. The absolute deal breaker for me is that the Ovi store for Nokia is a joke compared to what is available on the Android market for even the old 1.5 version that the Backflip is currently running. There were things I dearly loved on the E63 like Ovi Maps, but I still have the E63 and don't ever use it, FWIW. Hope this helps.

I'm guessing you're stuck on AT&T? If not, and you want a great android phone with a physical keyboard, just get the Droid on Verizon (actually you'd be getting the Droid 2 now, since it releases in a couple days). Otherwise, the Backflip is a great little phone. Totally underrated. The only actual problem is that it's currently running Android 1.5, but Motorola promises to upgrade it to 2.1 this year. Any other issues are solved by simply swapping for another Backflip. I personally encountered none of the common issues with this phone, thus I never had to exchange it, so it's possible to get a bug-free Backflip on your first try.

If you're considering a BlackBerry, there is no comparison. Android phones win, and the Backflip is a good Android phone.

Thanks for all the comments folks. I really appreciate your input as actual Backflip users. I'm pretty much sold on it now, especially as I read on the Motorola forum that the 2.1 upgrade for the Backflip is currently being tested. Lookinf forward to upgrading!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links