Droid is a Verizon Marketing Term

This is a discussion on Droid is a Verizon Marketing Term within the Introductions & Site Assistance forums, part of the Android Discussions category; Well I registered just to give my opinion on this sites name. You may not all agree but I think it is a bad forum ...

Thread: Droid is a Verizon Marketing Term

Droid is a Verizon Marketing Term

Well I registered just to give my opinion on this sites name. You may not all agree but I think it is a bad forum name and it will make uninformed people even more entrenched in their lack of knowledge.

Droid does not equal Android! It is not short for Android.

Droid is a marketing term used by Verizon for most of their Android phones (but not all).

Verizon licensed the term from George Lucas.

If you are on AT&T then your device is not a Droid.

I correct everyone that spots me with my Inspire that says "how do you like your Droid"

Another example of the same concept I'm trying to drive across to you, would be the fact that you can not call an engine that is designed with a hemispherical roof a HEMI if it didn't come from Chrysler/Dodge. HEMI is a trademark from Chrysler and it is therefore a new thing for marketing purposes that no other company can use without license. Although another car company is perfectly capable and they have produced engines with a hemispherical roof they can not call them Hemi engines. So likewise here Hemi is not short for hemisphere or hemisphirical, although we can see where the inference was made that created the new trademarked marketing term. Interestingly enough Hemi is such a big marketing term for Chrysler that they have even produced engines that do not have hemispherical roofs and they still call them Hemi engines, and they can do so because they want to sell cars and Hemi doesn't mean anything other than it is just a marketing term for an engine designed by Chrysler's team which originally had meaning but they perverted the original concept. The same thing could happen with Verizon if they decided to call a new smartphone a Droid that didn't run Android. I'm not saying Verizon will do this. I'm just saying they have every right to pervert the original meaning if they wish to do so. And so someday Droid could change to just mean a smartphone from Verizon running something that is or isn't Android.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Well I registered just to give my opinion on this sites name. You may not all agree but I think it is a bad forum name and it will make uninformed people even more entrenched in their lack of knowledge.

Droid does not equal Android! It is not short for Android.

Droid is a marketing term used by Verizon for most of their Android phones (but not all).

Verizon licensed the term from George Lucas.

If you are on AT&T then your device is not a Droid.

I correct everyone that spots me with my Inspire that says "how do you like your Droid"

Another example of the same concept I'm trying to drive across to you, would be the fact that you can not call an engine that is designed with a hemispherical roof a HEMI if it didn't come from Chrysler/Dodge. HEMI is a trademark from Chrysler and it is therefore a new thing for marketing purposes that no other company can use without license. Although another car company is perfectly capable and they have produced engines with a hemispherical roof they can not call them Hemi engines. So likewise here Hemi is not short for hemisphere or hemisphirical, although we can see where the inference was made that created the new trademarked marketing term. Interestingly enough Hemi is such a big marketing term for Chrysler that they have even produced engines that do not have hemispherical roofs and they still call them Hemi engines, and they can do so because they want to sell cars and Hemi doesn't mean anything other than it is just a marketing term for an engine designed by Chrysler's team which originally had meaning but they perverted the original concept. The same thing could happen with Verizon if they decided to call a new smartphone a Droid that didn't run Android. I'm not saying Verizon will do this. I'm just saying they have every right to pervert the original meaning if they wish to do so. And so someday Droid could change to just mean a smartphone from Verizon running something that is or isn't Android.
    Wow. Glad you registered just to write out your novel of a rant. Yes, most everyone here knows that "Droid" is licensed by Verizon for a line of Android phones. Nobody really cares other than ol' Georgie Lucas however. I don't see any issue with the website name.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

dandroid
    Thanks for your input Gus. We were simply trying to create something that was similar to our other sites: DroidForums.net, SprintDroids.com, etc, etc.

I thought about that also, Droid is Verizon's Androids, but that doesn't mean that AT&T's Androids can't be attdroids. Kind of a play on
    words and maybe a small poke at Verizon (and Lucas), but it shouldn't confuse anyone as to which company it's discussing.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links