Stylus?

This is a discussion on Stylus? within the LG Ally Accessories forums, part of the LG Ally category; I guess this type of touchscreen on the Ally isn't going to play nicely with a stylus? Unless the one I got just doesn't work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stylus?

I guess this type of touchscreen on the Ally isn't going to play nicely with a stylus? Unless the one I got just doesn't work as well. Anyone have any suggestions? My fingers are on the bigger side and sometimes I have issues browsing the web and stuff. I guess I can just use the nav pad but I would love to have the stylus capability.

ThE MaD RuSsIaN

PS - Forgive my ignorance here. Ally is my first touchscreen smartphone.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

There's nothing to forgive MaD, we're all here to learn, pick-up advice and tips. Here's something you might try. I know this isn't for everyone, but some folks let the fingernail on their pinky finger grow about 2mm long so they can use it as a stylus. Some even trim it to a dull point saying it works better than a stylus, and it's always there. With a little practice you can kinda slide your pinky around the screen and click stuff with your nail. I have also heard of people using Q-tips, the pen in their pocket, a lighter....but you'd have to carry those with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ThE MaD RuSsIaN View Post
    I guess this type of touchscreen on the Ally isn't going to play nicely with a stylus? Unless the one I got just doesn't work as well. Anyone have any suggestions? My fingers are on the bigger side and sometimes I have issues browsing the web and stuff. I guess I can just use the nav pad but I would love to have the stylus capability.

ThE MaD RuSsIaN

PS - Forgive my ignorance here. Ally is my first touchscreen smartphone.

Well I'm sorry to tell you that the LG Ally actually uses a capacitive touch screen. This means that the screen will only react to contact with your fingers, not a stylus or any other object. You can find a capacitive stylus but I'm not sure you'd want to go that route. However, I'm a big guy (6'6") and I've got large hands, and I have no trouble whatsoever using the Ally. These phones are designed for use with fingers so most of the icons are large and easy to use. Hope this helps.

Would some other members please leave a comment on this topic?

Is it correct that the only thing that will activate the Ally's screen, (as PJ has stated), is a finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Would some other members please leave a comment on this topic?

Is it correct that the only thing that will activate the Ally's screen, (as PJ has stated), is a finger?

A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide (ITO).[6][7] As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the body's electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location is then sent to the controller for processing.

Means it will work for your finger and not your fingernail. However

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Design-Sty.../dp/B001PLUFEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvnfXXulOIY

By beef with that stylus, is the tip is still pretty big. Not like a pen tip like most normal stylus's.

Just by going off of the design: A97, A138. They both use the USB b. Not sure if the tips put out different currents, but if they make one that will fit the ally, its going to be one of these 2.

I used to use my finger nail on my voyager but it doesn't work with my ally... the only thing I have a problem with is the internet browser... but if I just zoom in and that solves my problem...

PJ,..dolf...you guys are absolutely right. Here's what I was thinking, LG's best non-smartphone was the voyager, then the env touch both with resistive, was looking at the Fathom the other day, also resistive. I didn't realize they used capacitive on the Ally. Until now. Thanks for clearing up my...err....umm...temporary confusion.

I had the Env touch and I would use my fingernail but on the Ally no it doesn't work. The nice part about that is with my Ally I haven't had the phone unlock itself and call people when in my pocket and my touch would constantly do that.

It's almost as if the click-able items know what you want though, I've noticed that I only really have issues if there are a lot of things close together on a webpage. I've touched the screen just in the general area of what I wanted and had it work. Though on pages crowded with ads and the like the stop button comes in handy as well. I've got sausage fingers as well so expanding appears to be my favourite option too.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links