Top 10 LG Ally Apps

This is a discussion on Top 10 LG Ally Apps within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; Outstanding, thank you for your post....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 LG Ally Apps

Outstanding, thank you for your post.

Ok...I just got my Ally a few weeks ago. However, I've done a TON of research online & tons more actually testing apps. I may go more than 10, though....sorry.

3banana - This is for note taking. It has a widget & a shortcut, which are both nice. I tried other notes & for me, at least, this was the best. It does have an option for an alarm, but it does not have the option to be set for repeated times. I have a todo list manager for that, so I don't need it. The first few lines of my note are what I see on the list. I think you can make a title as well, but I like being able to see a little of the list. I'm a little weird, though. :-)

ToDo Task Manager - I absolutely love this app!! I could NOT live without it! It keeps me organized! I did end up paying to get the full version, but I tried all the other to do lists first. I could find no apps that I could set up a task to go off every Monday & Wednesday of every week. So, I finally found this. Unfortunately, I had to pay to get the repeated tasks, but it is worth it in my opinion. Lots of options & I even use the "priority" as a color code for different things (i.e. party for my son, appts for plasma giving, setting up appts for giving plasma, etc).

File Manager - I just found this today. I had been using Think Free Office, but it was almost 10mb's. I downloaded File Manager & started looking into it. It does have a different look than Think Free, but it does the same thing. 10 mbs over 492kb....I'll pick the lesser.

Task Manager (Adao Team) - I have tried other task managers (including ATK). I only use them to kill apps that I can't seem to close. This helps me save a little battery life. In fact, the major reason I chose this app was because it finally killed Google talk. ATK NEVER killed this app. I always had to go to the running services & kill it myself. Then, I'd go in an hour later & it had started by itself again. I do NOT use Google talk and I do not understand why it starts up when I never use it. It could be because it might sync sometimes with Gmail? Just a guess, but either way, I don't use it. So, this manager actually killed it (and kept it killed), so I kept it.

Launcher Pro - I really like the look of it the best over everything. I also like that I can have 7 "windows" to put things in. I will never need that many, but it is nice to know I have "room" in case I need them.

Handcent SMS - I used the stock sms app for awhile, but then I downloaded this just to try it. WOW!!! Who knew how many options you could have with a simple app. I was very surprised! I'm sure I spent a good amount of time setting it up, but I love it, so, I kept it. I also have the SMS Popup, too. It works well with Handcent. (SMS popup is just an app that has a text pop up a window instead of you trying to go to the actual app or notification bar & open it up to find the text. It saves a little time...you can also make it so you can reply right from that little window as well....very nice!)

Ringdroid - I am keeping this only because eventually I'll move some music to my phone, but haven't had time yet. When I do, I'll use this to make it a ringtone. I did use this once already for a song & (after a bit of playing around), I made a ringtone. It was fantastic!!

Ringtones - I have Zedge, too, but this app was fantastic! I found SO many songs made into ringtones on here. Granted, you may spend some time looking, but if you know the name of the song or artist, it shouldn't take you too long.

Shuffletone 2.0 - I know that some would rather have one song and one notification for the default, but I get bored fast with that. Then, to top it off, I get lazy & don't want to change the song/notification when I get bored. LOL! This is the perfect solution!! You get to choose the ringtones you want to hear randomly & then on top of that, in another section, you get to choose the notifications you want randomly. Now, so I don't get confused, I use songs for my ringtones & people talking for my notifications (i.e. Tommyboy quotes, The Office quotes, etc). Once I figured out what I wanted to do, then it was so easy after that. Would not want to live without this app.

Skyfire Browser (beta) - I had been using Dolphin & for the most part, I didn't have any issues. I heard about this browser today as well, so I thought I'd give it a try. So far, it is a bit faster (at least on my phone) than Dolphin, but I've only used it for a day. This is still in the testing stages for me.

No Lock - LOVE THIS!! I don't use it a ton, but I HATE when I have to go to do something quick & come back to a dark screen knowing I'll have to unlock it. However, to save battery life, I keep the time pretty short for the screen timeout. This is my perfect answer for that time when no one is around & I don't have to worry about my phone. The widget is fantastic. You just touch it to lock or touch it to unlock. When I come back from doing whatever, to find my screen blank, I just touch the power button & lo & behold, I do not have to unlock it. It is exactly where I left it. Fantastic!!

Easy Answer Button - I kind of researched an app so I didn't have slide the unlock all the time to answer the phone. I never seem to be able to get it the first couple of times. So, I tried one (AutoAnswer, I think), but it literally answered automatically after how many ever seconds you set it to answer. I did NOT like that. So, I tried this. Instead of having to slide the unlock, you just push the "answer" or "decline" button. It does NOT cover up who is calling, it mostly stays down by where the slide lock area is. You can set the app to pop up with these two options right away or have it wait a few seconds. I'd, of course, rather have it right away. So far, it works really well.

Beautiful Widgets - This is another that I researched for a few hours. I could NOT find a weather or clock widget that put the date & time on the screen. I could NOT live without this. I am a little OCD and like to know what the date is frequently. Of course, if the phone would just put the date automatically up on the notification bar, it would help. It's okay, though, I love how many different looks you can give the widget. It can be a little slow in changing the weather (I do not use it with Live anything.....too slow), but usually, I just need to open it up (to see the forecast) and reload. I do have the weatherchannel widget on another screen, but ONLY because I am a weather geek and like to know if any watches or warnings are in my area. I really wish NOAA or NWS would come up with one of their own since that is really the only place I trust with weather, but I'm sure they are busy with other things.

Rainy Days - Just discovered this today, too. It's a radar app. We actually have rain in the area right now & it seemed to work better than anything else I've seen so far. It's still in testing mode for me, though.

That's it for the regular apps. I do have more on my phone, but these are my favorites. I do have some games, but I had to delete some because of memory issues. These are the ones I kept:

Kids Connect the Dots Plus - I actually had the free version first, but my daughter (3 1/2) loves it SO much. She always asks if she can play the "polka dot game". It's SO cute!! I went ahead & got the plus. It actually says the numbers out loud. It may help her continue learning her numbers.

Robo Defense - At first, I thought this was an ok game. At one point, I'd done all I could do and was gaining "money" & couldn't do much with it. Then, I discovered that you can UPGRADE every single weapon. Well, let's just say after I figured that out, I won the game pretty quick after (a few hours more like). What a great game! I downloaded Tower Raiders, but it kept foreclosing on me. I looked at a few others, but I just kept coming back to this one. I, sadly, ended up buying the full version. I'm excited to get some extra time to play it!

Wixel - This is pretty much Boggle. I LOVE Boggle! So, I kept using the screen & finger to get the words. What a pain!! Finally, I discovered that I could use my keyboard. Well, I started making all kinds of high scores after that. I, also, sadly, bought the full version as well.

Oh, and before I forget, according to my storage area on my phone, I have about 30 mbs left of internal storage with all these apps (plus more) being used on my phone. I know when I was researching, I would come here often to see what people would say. I really enjoyed seeing what the apps did & the reasons why they liked it. It really helped, so I'm giving back a little. Hopefully, this will help others in the future.

loveally

Quote Originally Posted by glockman39 View Post
    Perhaps someone has answered this, but I haven't been able to find it. I receive my work email on my Ally. Much of this email has attachments, usually word docs (with the occasional PDF). Can someone suggest a good app that will allow me to open word docs while still in email? I don't mind paying, so that's no a consideration.

I can already open PDF's, so I need something that will allow me to open word docs, including doc, docx, rtf, html, xml and excel docs. If an app exists for this, great, if not, I need one to at least open doc and excel.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure, but I thought Think Free Mobile did that. If not, I'm sorry, but I thought it opened up documents. Not sure what specifically, though. Hopefully, someone else can help, too.

Quote Originally Posted by loveally View Post
    I'm not sure, but I thought Think Free Mobile did that. If not, I'm sorry, but I thought it opened up documents. Not sure what specifically, though. Hopefully, someone else can help, too.

Think Free, does indeed, do what I asked. I discovered that right after I posted my query.

Well, I don't know how useful this app is, but I absolutely love Wilhelm Scream. Anyone who is a serious fan of movies should know what the Wilhelm Scream is (if you don't, look it up on wikipedia). It's an inside joke with Hollywood sound engineers, so the try and slip it in to a movie if they can. The scream just sounds hilarious.

Also, anyone looking for an excellent camera app should look at Vignette. There's a free version, but I recommend the $4 version since it lets you use your camera's full megapixel setting. The camera includes tons of settings for effects, frames, colorization, etc. You can take some very, very good pictures (for a 3.2 megapixel phone, anyway) with this app. And some end up looking very stylish. I've tried several free camera apps, but I paid the four bucks for this one because that's how much I love it. It easily rivals, even bests, Hipstomatic for iPhone.

Google Sky Maps makes my iPhone friends jealous! It is amazing!! I've shown many peeps and often their jaws drop. "Yup, that bright star is Jupiter... Check out Hercules holding his sword, etc., etc." I have heard a few times, "This is the first time I've been truly in awe by an app."

Google Gesture Search to search your phone for contacts, music, apps, and many other options by writing each letter on the screen with your finger. Searching contacts is SSSOOOO much easier than using the Contacts App.

WordUp! is a great way to pass the time. After each game you can see the whole list of available words and the App will look up words you may not know.

Shortyz is the definitive Crossword App. If you like Crosswords it is a must!

ColorDict is a great dictionary that can be used offline, too. The words are all on my SD Card and it has add-ons for Thesaurus, Translations, Wikipedia links...

NYCMate gives me bus and subway info for the city that never sleeps. Always useful!

Cribbage Pro - yeah, it makes me sound old but I like to play Cribbage. It's a fun game.

Patience Revisited Solitaire. I tried quite a few of the Solitaire Apps and this one is best! Lots of games (93), cool animations, responds quickly and fun to play!

Chess Gees, I am starting to sound like a nerd!

Pandora Sweet, free, music that I don't have to buy. Also, I hope it brings back my 'cool' factor.

HA! Most are games...

Gees, I didn't even get to PicSay, Photo Illusion and Photofunia. All are fun photo editing tools.

Oh, and Boxee Remote makes my phone a remote control for my computer when using Boxee. I was floored when I first saw this work.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    It's too bad Boxee makes Netflix look crappy on my TV.

New app I found that I love. Silent Mode Jammer. Converts slide-to-silent-mode slider on the lock screen to slide-to-vibrate-mode.

OK, I just went out and got Tricorder. I think it's now my No. 1 favorite! LOL

Other faves: Photo Vault -- this one's a paid app, but it's worth $2 to keep prying eyes out of my all my photos.

Dolphin HD -- I love this browser -- fast, tabs, free

Google Sky -- I laughed when I saw them using Google Sky to sell the iPad in TV commercials.

Beautiful Widgets -- Love the live wallpaper

Google Navigation -- OK, it's not like I had a choice on this one, but I do depend on it at work.

Constitution -- again, I use it at work

Foursquare -- I wish more people in my area played.

Steamy Window -- I love this app -- not only is it a wonderful waste of time, but you can save images as jpegs and send them to people.

SMS Popup -- gives me a quick-reply option to messages and control over the notification scheme, but still lets me use the pre-installed messaging app. I loved ChompSMS, but it took up a lot of internal memory. SMS Popup is a nice compromise.

Since that's only nine, I'll include the Market app, since that's what we use to get all the other cool apps!

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John23ally View Post
    OK, I just went out and got Tricorder. I think it's now my No. 1 favorite! LOL

Other faves: Photo Vault -- this one's a paid app, but it's worth to keep prying eyes out of my all my photos.

Dolphin HD -- I love this browser -- fast, tabs, free

Google Sky -- I laughed when I saw them using Google Sky to sell the iPad in TV commercials.

Beautiful Widgets -- Love the live wallpaper

Google Navigation -- OK, it's not like I had a choice on this one, but I do depend on it at work.

Constitution -- again, I use it at work

Foursquare -- I wish more people in my area played.

Steamy Window -- I love this app -- not only is it a wonderful waste of time, but you can save images as jpegs and send them to people.

SMS Popup -- gives me a quick-reply option to messages and control over the notification scheme, but still lets me use the pre-installed messaging app. I loved ChompSMS, but it took up a lot of internal memory. SMS Popup is a nice compromise.

Since that's only nine, I'll include the Market app, since that's what we use to get all the other cool apps!

Doesn't SMS popup unlock your phone when it pops up? I didn't like that feature, especially when the phone was in my pocket.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links