"Task Killers" ?

This is a discussion on "Task Killers" ? within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; I also set advanced task killer to go into action when the screen shuts off and my Ally is MUCH more responsive when I turn ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Task Killers" ?

I also set advanced task killer to go into action when the screen shuts off and my Ally is MUCH more responsive when I turn it back on.

This was the first thread that I read when I found this forum. I have found it very informative and confusing all at the same time. I found three distinct answers to the question of utility of a task killer.

1. you don't need a task killer as droid manages the running systems itself and therefore there is no need to run a task killer.

2. you can find / install/ run a task killer from time to time to free up memory and potentially extend battery life.

3. you can find / install / run advanced task killer and after a slightly more intricate setup, let it manage your apps and again potentially free up memory and extend battery life.

I tried all three and in my humble Droid newbie opinion the advanced task killer is the way to go. I initially ran with nothing and had some lag issues and rapid battery drain. I then installed task killer and opened it up every hour or so killing all unneeded apps. This extended my battery a bit ( from about 24 hrs to 36 hrs) but I still had some lag / freeze issues. It did free up some memory each time I killed apps. Lastly I installed the Advanced Task Killer (ATK) and now my battery lasts between 3-4 days! I realize I am not a heavy user but this was with similar usage and in my opinion a HUGE difference. I have still had a couple of lag issues but no freezing at all. I have pleanty of free memory to do anything I choose to do and am living my LG Ally. I realize this is purely my opinion and not statistically based but I am hoping that it will help some fellow Ally owners.

You summed it up pretty good.

It depends on you as to what works best for you. I have ATK but rarely use it but that is because I keep my phone plugged in at home, in the car, and at work.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    Yeah Advanced Task Killer is great. It's a lot better than the regular app manager in the stock settings. It shows you stuff running on your phone that you never knew about. I've seen the MP3 Store app running in the list which I have NEVER used and many other strange things. No wonder battery life suffers. I set the task killer to be very aggressive and to activate itself every time the screen shuts off. Battery life has improved greatly.

I cant seem to find where my setting are for the Advanced Task Killer. How do I set it to Agressive? I'm always hitting it myself to kill tasks.

Open ATK.

Press the Menu button.

Touch Settings.

Touch Auto Kill Level.

Touch Aggressive.

Just remember that doing this may prevent email of FB notifications from working unless you add them to your ignore list.
    Motorola Droid 4

Thank you thank you very much. I think this is the best forum! Especially for someone, that is slightly clueless. haha. Thanks again

i have auto kill level set to aggressive and auto kill frequency set to when screen off and yet every time i turn the screen on and off theres a few apps still running. am i doing something wrong?

Your frequency is set to when the screen goes off which means that the ATK will only kill apps at that time. Sinces some apps continue to start on their own, they may be running again when you turn the screen back on. You would need to change your frequency if you want the ATK to kill apps more often.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Your frequency is set to when the screen goes off which means that the ATK will only kill apps at that time. Sinces some apps continue to start on their own, they may be running again when you turn the screen back on. You would need to change your frequency if you want the ATK to kill apps more often.

So there is no way of stoping these apps from running each time even though you don't use them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links