"Task Killers" ?

This is a discussion on "Task Killers" ? within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; Very new to smart phones, and I heard that the 600mhz can go slow on this phone sometimes. What is a task killer, where do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Task Killers" ?

Very new to smart phones, and I heard that the 600mhz can go slow on this phone sometimes. What is a task killer, where do I get one, and how does it work? The more detail, the better! THANKS!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hi Kevin, your phone has a task killer, the power off button...lol. Cool profile pic, I haven't seen Quisp for years now!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Very new to smart phones, and I heard that the 600mhz can go slow on this phone sometimes. What is a task killer, where do I get one, and how does it work? The more detail, the better! THANKS!!

click the app *market* and in the search box type task manager - there is one by Apollo Software I particularly like and started using.

It lists the apps currently running and you check the ones you want to *kill* (stop processing) and then click the big bar at the top that says *Kill Selected Apps*

I found one on the phone in settings > applications > running tasks

Question: is the in system menu better/safer than the apps? There seems to be some debate.

I read an article online about task killers that said on an Android based phone, you don't need a task killer. It said something about android manages tasks properly on it's own and automatically kills tasks that have not been used if android needs to free up memory. Plus, background tasks don't use CPU cycles because they put themselves to 'sleep' when not being used. I have also read on many forums that task killers can actually decrease performance. Having said all of that, there are many people on those same forums that swear by task killers so who really knows. Personally, I don't use one. As Minty said, when I want to kill tasks, I simply power off\on my phone. Only takes about a minute to shut it off and then on again.

My Ally will freeze when I have to many apps running. Does it nearly everyday.. I have to power it off.. it takes between 1-5 mins. typically for it to power down (during that time.. the frozen screen shot is displayed) it's annoying for sure.. I have had to pull the battery twice because I got impatience with the wait. Verizon suggested I installed the app Killer.. seems to help my phone a lot.. but I have to be killing my apps often.. it's becoming a habit. At times I will not have used any apps & I will have 5-10 running like Amazon (which I have never used).. and others that I have not used in days. Not sure why they auto start?? Anyone know?

Hi cone, scroll up just a little to posting #3 by Intri, she recommends the one by Apollo.

If it's Intri approved, you can bet it works. Let us know if it takes care of the problem for you.

Advanced Task Killer is the one recommended to me by Verizon. Works great!

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Yeah Advanced Task Killer is great. It's a lot better than the regular app manager in the stock settings. It shows you stuff running on your phone that you never knew about. I've seen the MP3 Store app running in the list which I have NEVER used and many other strange things. No wonder battery life suffers. I set the task killer to be very aggressive and to activate itself every time the screen shuts off. Battery life has improved greatly.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    Advanced Task Killer is the one recommended to me by Verizon. Works great!

Same here. I didn't think much of using it until I thought about how much my BB would slow down if I didn't close an app before getting out of it.

No lag issues here *knock on wood*.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links