WiFi tether without root?

This is a discussion on WiFi tether without root? within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; Originally Posted by meg We have satellite internet, not very strong, would this mean we'd not be able to tether? If you already have internet, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WiFi tether without root?

Quote Originally Posted by meg View Post
    We have satellite internet, not very strong, would this mean we'd not be able to tether?

If you already have internet, you really don't need PDAnet. PDAnet is so that you can hook your computer up to your phone and use your phone as your modem so that you can access the internet from your PC.
    Motorola Droid 4

Maybe this isn't what you are refering to, but I've been able to go to https websites quite fine with the free PDAnet. I go to the bank of america site regularly..

Quote Originally Posted by sierra toucan View Post
    Maybe this isn't what you are refering to, but I've been able to go to https websites quite fine with the free PDAnet. I go to the bank of america site regularly..

According to the company's website for PDAnet, you can only access https sites with the free version during the trial period.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    According to the company's website for PDAnet, you can only access https sites with the free version during the trial period.

Then I guess I will just have to see how long it'll let me access them then! Thanks for the info! I was honestly surprised when it let me use the https sites, because I had read what everyone was saying about how you needed to pay in order to do so.

They want to get you hooked so you will upgrade!
    Motorola Droid 4

If they reeeally think they will get me to pay however much it is for an upgraded version, they're crazy! i can just use my bank of america app on my phone, thank you very much.

As I am not much in to technology ,can somebody please explain to me the difference between ROOTING & TETHERING ? two, Off the two, which one is LEGIT ???

Hi T C, tethering is connecting the phone to a laptop with the USB cable usually so you can use the internet, on the laptop, via the phones wireless connection to the cellular network. Some phones only allow access to the internet on the phone, not with tethering.

Rooting allows hacking the phones operating system to allow more user access. The benefits are very few, but include the ability to remove factory installed apps, but unless you understand exactly what you are doing, you will most likely screw the phone up. It immediatly voids the phones warranty, because you have hacked into it, changing factory settings and operating parameters. 99 out of 100 cell phone owners don't even consider rooting. This is something only "hackers" engage in. I guess they feel like they can make the phone better then the people who built it. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure I'll hear from some hackers now, they tend to hang out at cellphone sites and promote such activity including how to get Verizon to replace the phone they just ruined without telling them the truth about how it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Android 2.2 should allow you to tether using WiFi. It will turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot.

Is Android 2.2 on all the new LG Ally's or do you have to download it? I currently have an HTC Touch Pro 2 and use get internet wirelessly at my house through my phone. I want to know if this is possible with an Ally. I do NOT want to tether with a USB. I want to be able to do it wirelessly and have the option of using several laptops at the same time via my phone. Is this possible with an Ally? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hurleygirlie05 View Post
    Is Android 2.2 on all the new LG Ally's or do you have to download it? I currently have an HTC Touch Pro 2 and use get internet wirelessly at my house through my phone. I want to know if this is possible with an Ally. I do NOT want to tether with a USB. I want to be able to do it wirelessly and have the option of using several laptops at the same time via my phone. Is this possible with an Ally? Thanks!

Please don't double post.

In short, no it is not possible to access the internet from your pc using wifi. Not until they release Android 2.2 but there is no set date on when that will be. I will really be surprised if it will work even after we get Android 2.2 but you never know.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links