My App Reviews

This is a discussion on My App Reviews within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; Category: Tools App: Droid Light Size: 176 KB Description: DroidLight is the perfect tool for finding your keys in the dark. The app uses the ...

Thread: My App Reviews

Category: Tools

App: Droid Light

Size: 176 KB

Description: DroidLight is the perfect tool for finding your keys in the dark. The app uses the super bright camera LED, and it works great on the Motorola Droid and Milestone. New Version (3.0): Includes status bar notification when light is turned on.

Permissions: Hardware Controls (flashlight)

Comments: The only thing this app does on the Ally is turn a light bulb from white (off) to yellow (on). It does not access the camera LED on the Ally. You can get more light from just activating your screen. If they ever fix it so that it does access the camera LED, you would have a very powerful flashlight.

Results: Uninstalled

-------------------------

Category: Games

App: Barcode Beasties

Size: 2.43 MB

Description: Find the hidden monster in every barcode. Scan and let them battle it out.

Permissions: Location, Network Communication, Storage, Hardware Controls (camera), Phone Calls

Comments: This game works by scanning barcodes from two different products. Each product will display a different beast. Once they are scanned, you click on Let Battle Commence and the two beasts fight. The fight is nothing more than some text that scrolls until the battle is over. IE: Sniw strikes Crilla with his Swoard for 29 damage. I like the concept and the developer promises that a multiplayer version will be coming soon but the game has a lot of bugs in it. It crashes 7 out of 10 times.

Results: Waiting to see if any updates will fix the crashes and wanting to try the multiplayer version.

App: Whac A Mole Free

Size: 1.20 MB

Description: Help the world get rid of the moles by repeatedly bashing them on the head with a variety of sophisticated weapons. We bring you the look and feel of one of the most popular arcade games of all time – but now with different mole types, extra weapons and four different game modes! Raise your mallets!

Permissions: Network Communication, Storage, Hardware Controls (vibrator), Phone Calls

Comments: I downloaded this game to entertain my grandkids. I think I had more fun playing it then they did.

Results: Keeper

App: Splat Bugs II Free

Size: 604 KB

Description: Bugs! Bugs and critters have infested your home! Squash the creeps crawling around your home using your finger.

Permissions: Location, Network Communication, Storage, Hardware Controls (vibrator), Phone Calls

Comments: Another game I downloaded for the grandkids but wound up playing it more than them. The game only allows you to miss 3 times before it ends and the easy level was too difficult for them. They would hit the screen too many times and the game would end in seconds and need to be reset.

Category: Health

App: Simple Weight Recorder

Size: 96 KB

Description: A simple tool to record your weight. Automatically calculates BMI, and the difference from your goal.

Permissions: Storage, Phone Calls

Comments: It does what it says and tracks your weight, BMI, and how much you need to lose to reach your goal. The only thing I can think of that I would like to see in this app is the ability to add multiple people.

Motorola Droid 4

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Category: Entertainment

App:
    Pandora

Size: 1.66 MB

Description: Pandora radio is the personalized internet radio service that helps you find new music based on your old and current favorites.

Permissions: Your Personal Information (Contact Data), Network Communication, Phone Calls, System Tools

Comments: Not too thrilled about the app being able to access my contact data but other than that the app is excellent. You create a station by searching for a song or artist. If a song comes on your station that you don't like, you can skip it or flag it thumbs down. (Note: You are only allowed 5 skips per hour per station.) If you flag a song thumbs down and it comes on again, it is because it is from a different album than the one that you flagged. When I first got the app, it would Force Close if I tried to run any other app but it hasn't done that since the last update.

Category: Productivity

App: Note Pad

Size: 52 KB

Description: Note Pad is a sample Android application from Google with very basic functionality. It is a simple text processor that lists all notes in a linear structure. Users can add, edit, and delete notes.

Permissions: Storage, Phone Calls

Comments: I have to have an app that I can use to create quick notes with and this app does exactly that. I don't need anything more than what this app offers. There are a lot of note pad apps and one that looks the same and has the same name links to a questionable site. The one I downloaded lists AndroidFreeware.ORG as the developer.

App: Movies

Size: 4.94 MB

Description: Movies by Flixster. The #1 app for movie reviews, trailers and showtimes.

Permissions: Your Location, Network Communication, Storage, Phone Calls, System Tools

Comments: I have had a chance to try this a couple of times. It uses your location to list the movie theaters that are close to where you are. Click on the theater you want to see which movies are playing there and what times they start. It also has a Find Restaurants Nearby option that comes in handy if you want to eat something before or after the movie. There is also a section for Upcoming movies that shows trailers and photos, a DVD section for viewing new releases and browsing DVDs, and a My Movies section where you can create a list of moives you want to see, movies you have rated, or movies your friends have rated. The My Movies section requires you to login to Facebook, Flixster, or Netflix.

Motorola Droid 4

Category: Multimedia

App: Shazam

Size: 1.34 MB

Description: With Shazam you can identify music tracks, store them, and buy them; plus you can connect to the artist's mySpace page.

Permissions: Network Communication, Phone Calls, Hardware Controls.

Comments: Someone mentioned it so I thought I would see how good it worked. I turned on my tv, stepped back about 5 feet, and flipped through 20 different music channels. It found a song for 15 out of 20 tests with only 1 of them being the wrong song. The 5 test where it didn't find a song were either musicals or mexican/spanish. Once it finds a song, it lists the Title, Artist, Album, Genre, and more. There are links at the bottom that allow you to search for the song on YouTube or Amazon MP3. If the artist has a MySpace page, a link to it is also available. All in all, I think it is a good app but since I use Pandora to listen to free music, I doubt if I will use this app to purchase anything. But it will come in handy in situations where you hear a song and can't remember who sang it.

Note: They recently updated the free version of this app to only allow 5 music tags per hour. It used to be unlimited. That change made it not worth me keeping on my phone taking up storage.

Motorola Droid 4

Here is a list of apps that I downloaded but don't plan on reviewing them.

Google Translate

Google Maps

Adobe Reader

News Pro

USA Today

Simon

PdaNet Free Edition

StopWatch

MagicMarker

Photoshop.com Mobile

My Verizon

Paypal

Ebay
    Motorola Droid 4

Category: Multi Media

App: RingDriod

Size: 456 KB

Description: Create your own ringtone by editing a music track in your library, or record a new one directly from the phone.

Permissions: Your Personal Information, Network Communication, Storage, Phone Calls, System Tools

Comments: I like this app. You can take any song that you have on your Ally and convert it to a ringtone, alarm, or notification sound. You can choose where your sound starts and stops. Plus, you can create a new ringtone by clicking on Record New. If a song comes on the radio and you want it as a ringtone, just record it using RingDroid. Or if you want to annoy someone, record your voice and set it as a ringtone or alarm. IE: "Hey stupid, your phone is ringing. Aren't you going to answer it!"

App: TV.com

Size: 2.45 MB

Description: TV.com brings personal TV to your phone on WiFi and cellular networks. Access the videos you want anywhere you go including full episodes...and it’s free!

Permissions: Storage, Network Communication, Phone Calls, System Tools

Comments: If you are a CBS fan, this app is for you. You can watch full episodes of shows like CSI: Miami and Flashpoint. In addition to CBS, you can also view CW, Showtime, CNET, CBS Sports Mobile, CBS News, Gamespot, Classic TV (90210, MacGyver, Twilight Zone), Stupid Videos, Movie Trailers, ET, The Insider, Web Shows, and Chow. I didn't know about MacGyver. I was about to delete the app for more space but now I think I am going to have to keep it for awhile.

Category: Utility

App: Disk Usage

Size: 124 KB

Description: DiskUsage provides a way to find files and directories on the SD card which consume a lot of space.

Permissions: Storage

Comments: The concept was good but the execution of it was not. As you touch each sub directory, the sub directory you selected would be expanded but the previous directories (sub directories) would still be visible. It should have been setup in a drill down fashion where only the items in the sub directory selected were visible with an up icon to go back to the previous directory or sub directory.

Results: Unistalled

Category: Utility

App: File Manager by Apollo Software

Size: 440 KB

Description: File Manager allows you to browse your SD card, create folders, copy, move, delete, rename, zip and unzip files, and launch apps according to file type.

Permissions: Storage, Network Communication, Phone Calls

Comments: This app is good and does what it says. But nightwulf had suggested another app called Astro File Manager that I like better. The main difference is that Astro allows you to view the files on your phone in addition to on your SD Card. I will do a review on Astro later.

Motorola Droid 4

Category: Shopping

App: Barcode Scanner by ZXing Team

Size: 872 KB

Description: Scan barcodes on CDs, books, and other products, then look up prices and reviews

Permissions: Storage, Network Communication, Personal Information, Hardware Controls

Comments: This app has permissions to read browser history, bookmarks, and to read / write contact data. It did not have those permission when I first downloaded it and it does not need that for what the app is supposed to do. The only problem with removing this app is that it is the app of choice for reading QR Codes. Received this message from another user: The reason the ZXing Barcode Scanner has the PII permission group is because of the Menu > Share function, which displays an application link, contact, bookmark, or your clipboard contents on your screen as a QR Code for another phone to scan. This would explain the need to read/write contact data.

Category: Weather

App: Radar Now

Size: 400 KB

Description: Radar Now fixes your location to display the animated weather radar and current conditions closest to you.

Permissions: Location, Storage, Network Communication, Phone Calls

Comments: The couple of times I got this app to work it did show a decent radar image of the local weather. Most of the time, it couldn't find my location and got stuck in an endless loop trying to load the map. The Weather Channel Widget that I use is a much better app.

Motorola Droid 4

Hey, the TV.com one sounds good but I can't find it! Is it free or have to pay for it? I searched but no results. Also, I love the Google translate & Pandora. They are definite keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolett80 View Post
    Hey, the TV.com one sounds good but I can't find it! Is it free or have to pay for it? I searched but no results. Also, I love the Google translate & Pandora. They are definite keepers.

This might have something to do with the latest software update. The market is setup so that only applications that are compatible with your phone will show in the market. I don't see it on the market either or in my downloads but it is still on my phone. I am sure they will come out with a new version that is compatible.

It still shows up in the Andorid Market website TV.Com
    Motorola Droid 4

I found & installed TV.com today. I haven't had a chance to watch anything yet but I am happy with the selection of full episodes so far. Big brother, csi. 48 hours......

this was helpful thank you very much!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links