Couple of Google Navigation questions (well not really)....

This is a discussion on Couple of Google Navigation questions (well not really).... within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; Used the google navigation program today and that leads me to a couple of questions not really concerning the app itself. Actually these two questions ...

Thread: Couple of Google Navigation questions (well not really)....

Used the google navigation program today and that leads me to a couple of questions not really concerning the app itself. Actually these two questions may be related.

1.) Used my car charger while navigating (it is a Verizon car charger from my old LG phone) and noticed that when the battery got to 100%, it displayed a ? mark in the battery icon. Thought maybe it was because it wasn't the car charger for the Ally, but rather one for another LG phone so I stopped at the VZW store to ask if there was a specific one for the Ally. The rep told me the one I have is exactly the same one they sell for the Ally. So now I don't understand the where the ? mark comes from or what it means. Any thought?

2.) I also noticed that the unit itself got real hot during my trip with the navigation app running. Is this normal because of the CPU constantly running trying to keep up with me? Or could the heat be related to the car charger question I asked above in that the car changer may not be the right one for my Ally. Has anyone else used the navigation app and noticed their Ally getting hot?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hi Joe, not sure about the first one, not sure about the second one either, but, is it possible the phones getting hot as a result of where it's mounted? Is it in direct sunlight often?

I'm thinking of the chocolate bar on the dash on a hot summer day scenario.

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Question mark showing up over the battery icon and the phone being hot probably means it was in danger of overheating. Even though most chargers claim to have the chip inside that prevents overcharging, I try not to leave my phone plugged in once it gets to 100%.

Yes the navigation app is very demanding of the CPU but I just used my phone to navigate to and from Illinois to Florida and back again and never had any issues. I also had it plugged into a car charger for most of this time and no problems with that either.

I would say the icon that popped up was definitely related to over heating but not sure if it was from the travel charger or what.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Thanks for the help\input. I think I'm going to get a new car charger from the VZW store just to be safe and see if I still get the ? mark battery icon. I know I don't get it when charging the phone with the multimedia dock\charger in the house, which is what made me think there some issue with the car charger. The only thing confusing me is that the VZW rep said I had the exact same charger as they sell, so I don't know what getting a new one will do for me. But I gotta try something.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Thanks for the help\input. I think I'm going to get a new car charger from the VZW store just to be safe and see if I still get the ? mark battery icon. I know I don't get it when charging the phone with the multimedia dock\charger in the house, which is what made me think there some issue with the car charger. The only thing confusing me is that the VZW rep said I had the exact same charger as they sell, so I don't know what getting a new one will do for me. But I gotta try something.

I had the question mark show up on mine in the house charging. It was just not quite connected correctly I'm thinking is all it was. After unplugging and replugging it disappeared immediately. If the rep said it's the same one, save your money unless it's damaged or something. It was sort of whopperjawed when I noticed it. If it shifted a bit in transit, to me that would explain why. I noticed it got really hot when first using navigation on mine too, though without a car dock it was easily noticed cuz it was on my lap at the time.

Cheers
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

I used my google navigator from middle tennessee to Tybee Island, GA without a charger and it got hot. Unit was not in the sun. After 3.5 hours, I had to put the charger on it because it was eating the battery up and it didn't get any hotter and it never did get the battery fully charged. I finally cut off the phone before it blew up, besides who needs a navigator on I-16, there is nothing out there until you run into Savannah.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links