Apps cost

This is a discussion on Apps cost within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; Is ther a way that you can tell if an App costs money. I was playing with my phone and not sure what I have ...

Thread: Apps cost

Is ther a way that you can tell if an App costs money. I was playing with my phone and not sure what I have actually ended up with. Specifically does voice search and voice dial cost money? Thanks in advance.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

As far al I know, the only app that your phone comes with that will charge you money is the Visual Voice mail. The only apps in the Market Place that will continually charge you money are going to be specified in the Verizon tab. You have to set up a Google account and put your credit card in to download any pay for download apps int eh regular marketplace, so if you havent put a card in yet, go crazy!

Here is a good article to read: Be Aware of What Your App Does

When you download an app, it will tell you what the application has access to on your phone. Be careful of any that can make phone calls or send texts. These can be used to call or text numbers that will add charges to your phone bill.

Motorola Droid 4

:DThank you everyone for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Here is a good article to read: Be Aware of What Your App Does

When you download an app, it will tell you what the application has access to on your phone. Be careful of any that can make phone calls or send texts. These can be used to call or text numbers that will add charges to your phone bill.

OK so I read the article about be aware and now I am paranoid. I am concerned about dowloading any app that can make calls or has access to my personal info. Is there some way or some palce that I can check to see some type of security code or rating that lets me know that the site I am downloading from is safe? How often do these sites take your info and use in improper ways? Is the answer to just not download any apps? There are lots of apps out there that I would be interested in but can not see why a game would need my personal info or need to be able to access my phone records. I am glad you posted that article. I am sure that many people do not even think about what they are giving sites access to they just download. Very scarry.

Quote Originally Posted by jayray15 View Post
    OK so I read the article about be aware and now I am paranoid. I am concerned about dowloading any app that can make calls or has access to my personal info. Is there some way or some palce that I can check to see some type of security code or rating that lets me know that the site I am downloading from is safe? How often do these sites take your info and use in improper ways? Is the answer to just not download any apps? There are lots of apps out there that I would be interested in but can not see why a game would need my personal info or need to be able to access my phone records. I am glad you posted that article. I am sure that many people do not even think about what they are giving sites access to they just download. Very scarry.

Unfortunately that is the nature of Open Source. You just have be careful and make sure that you read user reviews before you download. You also have to re-check the permissions each time the app is updated. They can change the permissions of the app.

I was looking at a couple of my apps today. I have a game that I downloaded for my grandkids called Barnyard Buddies. All it does is make different barn animal noises. One of the permissions on it is for GPS location. I cannot think of any reason why a kid's game needs this information.

I also have an app called Epocrates that is used to find information about medicine and was a featured on the Android Market website. However, one of the permissions that it has is System Tools (Mount and Unmount File Systems). I am scratching my head as to why it needs to be able to mount or unmount file systems. I have not yet been able to find out any additional information but I don't think it is anything malicious. Just don't know why it needs it.

Permissions can be confusing because they list a category and then in small print list what they are able to do in that category. IE: Phone Calls (Read Phone State and Identity) just means that the app checks the phone status and pauses if a phone call comes in. I have been searching for a list of all the different types of permissions but so far have not been able to locate one.
    Motorola Droid 4

Thanks Ally - I am sure as the industry becomes more and more used someone will come up with a way to tell if a site is secure or not. Since I read the original article I now check every app. If they are asking to do someting that I think why? then I usually do not download it. It is horrible that our world has become such that you can not trust anyone. Thanks for the info on what to look for and what to look out for.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links