Radio Frequency App?

This is a discussion on Radio Frequency App? within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; Originally Posted by Vol4one Ok. That makes more since to me. The other person said software and I was thinking that apps were software. If ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Radio Frequency App?

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vol4one View Post
    Ok. That makes more since to me. The other person said software and I was thinking that apps were software. If it's hardware, I understand that it can't be added.

Thanks!

Apps are software. Trible or whoever was being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    You are asking for a piece of software that builds a 83-108 MHz transmitter inside the phone and then uses it to send audio to your car?

Wow.

No, that's not possible for any product. Perhaps in 50 years.

I was not actually being sarcastic. At least I did not mean to.

I was actually trying to clarify that someone was actually asking for a total software-solution for a radio transmitter.

Apparently I've been around nerds too long. I can't imagine that someone does not understand that you need hardware built into a unit to do this. I was not trying to be difficult, it just rather "blew my mind". I probably need to get out more.

Now, in theory one could add a device like an FPGA to a product and then design and download "hardware" onto the FPGA. But that's logic circuitry, not something like a radio transmitter, where you need a number of "RLC" elements to make it work, specially designed parts such as frequency-specific amplifying transistors and antenna

I expect there will come a time when we can actually configure physical elements inside a generic part for functions like a low-powered transmitter, but not yet.

There are "software radios" now, but they work by using special radio hardware to receive the signal, then DSP to "tune" the proper frequency. I had assumed that the questioner here knew that, and then expected it was easy to build a total software transmitter.

Yeah, your XM radio can do it because it was designed to have that capability. One thing you could do is look for an aux interface for your car stereo; this will sound a whole lot better than the FM transmitter, and it may not be much more expensive. BlitzSafe makes a number of these interfaces, both for "aux" and ipod devices.

I was not actually being sarcastic. At least I did not mean to.

I was actually trying to clarify that someone was actually asking for a total software-solution for a radio transmitter.

Apparently I've been around nerds too long. I can't imagine that someone does not understand that you need hardware built into a unit to do this. I was not trying to be difficult, it just rather "blew my mind". I probably need to get out more.

Now, in theory one could add a device like an FPGA to a product and then design and download "hardware" onto the FPGA. But that's logic circuitry, not something like a radio transmitter, where you need a number of "RLC" elements to make it work, specially designed parts such as frequency-specific amplifying transistors and antenna

I expect there will come a time when we can actually configure physical elements inside a generic part for functions like a low-powered transmitter, but not yet.

There are "software radios" now, but they work by using special radio hardware to receive the signal, then DSP to "tune" the proper frequency. I had assumed that the questioner here knew that, and then expected it was easy to build a total software transmitter.

Yeah, your XM radio can do it because it was designed to have that capability. One thing you could do is look for an aux interface for your car stereo; this will sound a whole lot better than the FM transmitter, and it may not be much more expensive. BlitzSafe makes a number of these interfaces, both for "aux" and ipod devices.

That was all way over my head...LOL. But thanks for helping. I'll check into the BlitzSafe or maybe even try to find an inexpensive CD player with an aux input.

Quote Originally Posted by Vol4one View Post
    That was all way over my head...LOL. But thanks for helping. I'll check into the BlitzSafe or maybe even try to find an inexpensive CD player with an aux input.

Don't feel bad, that was way over my head too.
    Motorola Droid 4

You are asking for a piece of software that builds a 83-108 MHz transmitter inside the phone and then uses it to send audio to your car?

Wow.

No, that's not possible for any product. Perhaps in 50 years.

actually I used to own a phone called Musiq...and it had it's own transmitter built into it....so one would think 50 years has passed....just saying

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links