Task Killers are Battery Killers??

This is a discussion on Task Killers are Battery Killers?? within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; I have heard that a task killer helps you keep the speed at which your phone performs but also helps keep battery life, BUT i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Task Killers are Battery Killers??

I have heard that a task killer helps you keep the speed at which your phone performs but also helps keep battery life, BUT i also heard the task of killing tasks in it self kills the battery even more. I have only owned my ally for 2 days and would like to know if anyone knows for sure if the task killer is better or worse for the battery life. and if it is not good how do you kill tasks without a task killer. thank you.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    You can manage SOME tasks without installing anything, by going into Settings>Applications>Running Services. Here you can click on things to turn them off if you don't want them running.

I can only speak in my own experience, using Advanced Task Killer has increased my battery life by a lot. A few days ago I turned it off for some reason and forgot to turn it back on, and by that evening, my battery indicator was yellow, 25% left or something like that. With my task killer running I've been getting 48 hours use out of my phone before needing to plug it in again.

There's no harm in installing one for yourself and judging your own results. They are free on the market and can easily be uninstalled if you don't think you like it.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Agreed... While I don't use one because Android manages tasks without the need for a task killer, there is no harm in trying one to see how it works for you. Obviously opinions vary so the only true way to find out is test it for yourself. If it was true that a task killer saves battery, than I probably should use one though. I already get 2-4 days battery life out of my unit without one so a task killer might get me a week based on what some people have said about them improving their battery life.

My battery only lasts 4-6 hours but this is my first smart phone so I'm GEEK'N over it.

Question: I see under my RUNNING SERVICES a bunch of apps which I have installed. For example, Skype is a loaded app. I notice that Skype is in my RUNNING SERVICES however.. when I actually click on the Skype icon in apps the program is running in an OFF LINE state... and I have to sign in. If I'm not signed in then why is the app running?

PS I killed all my widgets and Running services that I don't need and I have noticed a HUGE performance jump... until I have to reboot the phone.. then they all come back. Help? better way to do this???

-H

I took my Ally back to the Verizon store with the intention of exchanging it because of poor, POOR battery life. The CSR put on a TasKiller app, and told me to try it, It extended my battery life AT LEAST four fold, and I'm now very happy.

Of course, part of the short life was screwing around with a new gadget, but still, only a few hours of life had me regretting I'd bought the Ally.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
    I took my Ally back to the Verizon store with the intention of exchanging it because of poor, POOR battery life. The CSR put on a TasKiller app, and told me to try it, It extended my battery life AT LEAST four fold, and I'm now very happy.

Of course, part of the short life was screwing around with a new gadget, but still, only a few hours of life had me regretting I'd bought the Ally.

What task killer did he put on for you? Wondering what the "experts", lol, are recommending.

Good question! I installed advanced task killer. Not sure if it is really helping though. I am a medium user. Mostly for texting, camera & some internet. I keep wifi, Bluetooth & GPS off. My battery usually last about 5 to 6 hours. I have the task killer set to the craziest settings. But I don't understand if it really does much good since everytime it kills apps or I kill them, a bunch of new ones start running 5 minutes later!

I have a really "dumb" question, I installed a task killer.....not the advanced one.....When I tell it to kill an app, does it remove it from phone completely? All I really want done is clear off and make sure nothing is running that I am not using.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgk View Post
    I have a really "dumb" question, I installed a task killer.....not the advanced one.....When I tell it to kill an app, does it remove it from phone completely? All I really want done is clear off and make sure nothing is running that I am not using.

No it does not remove the app. It only stops the process that is currently running. The reason some processes start up again is because they are checking for updates or trying to sync. You can adjust the app killer's frequency if you want to kill these processes more or less often.
    Motorola Droid 4

I ended up uninstalling the Advanced Task Killer yesterday. I already am seeing an improvement in my battery life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links