Best Apps to Download (for free)

This is a discussion on Best Apps to Download (for free) within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; 1. Advanced Task Killer Exits out all the tasks so you wont leave applications running (to save battery), it can also be set to do ...

Thread: Best Apps to Download (for free)

1. Advanced Task Killer

Exits out all the tasks so you wont leave applications running (to save battery), it can also be set to do it automatically.

2. Dolphin Browser HD

This Browser is WAY faster than the original Browser thats on the phone. It has great add-ons that you can download with it (like twitter!)

3. Fandango

No other app that checks for latest movies is better than Fandango! Trust me! The updates are awesome!

4. Lookout

Its an anti-virus app that scans your downloads to make sure they are safe!

5. Moodagent

This app plays music by the mood your in. It can post whats playing on twitter and post your playlist on Facebook! Its SO COOL

6. Music Junk

BEST for downloading music.

7. Pandora

The best radio station with little to no commercials. You choose what to play.

8. Pocket Blog(beta)

If you like to have a diary with you everywhere!

9. RingTone

Make your OWN RINGTONES or NOTIFICATION tones from the music you already have! or download some!

10. Taskos

To-Do Lists.

11. The Weather Channel

Best for checking the weather up to 10 days

12. Twidroyd

Best Twitter app!

13. Where's My Droid?

This really works if you lost it, just text "wheres my droid" and it rings the highest it can go even if its silent or on vibrate!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

This is a good list except for #1. You don't need a task manager in Android (Linux). The only reason people use them is because they are used to using Windows. People who claim to get a benefit from them are victims of the placebo effect. The OS manages the processes on its own very efficiently and free memory in Linux is wasted memory unlike Windows where free memory is a good thing. Ditch the task manager and I assure you things will be fine, perhaps better.

Aww, someone else afflicted by the "I CAN'T READ POSTS TO SAVE MY LIFE" disease. A task manager isn't on the list to save memory - it's on the list to kill background tasks that sap battery life, as noted by the OP. Thankfully, Android is extremely aggressive about force closing crashed applications, so a task manager isn't generally required for that job. One can argue that a task manager won't save battery life in the long run, but you made no mention of that at all - thankfully, this thread does: http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/992-task-killer-help/

(Also, I guess you weren't around when Microsoft got an earful specifically because Windows started taking advantage of unused RAM to aid in operation, thus resulting in little 'free' ram - now, go ahead and take a look at, say, the Windows 7 Resource Monitor and compare how much actual unused RAM there is compared to the amount implied to be unused by the plain task manager)

Good posting Connor and don't pay attention to the others. There is an ongoing battle between the ATKs and the non-ATKs. As far as I am concerned is if an ATK works for you, then use it.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Good posting Connor and don't pay attention to the others. There is an ongoing battle between the ATKs and the non-ATKs. As far as I am concerned is if an ATK works for you, then use it.

Thank you! I didn't even know!

Quote Originally Posted by ZekeSulastin View Post
    Aww, someone else afflicted by the "I CAN'T READ POSTS TO SAVE MY LIFE" disease. A task manager isn't on the list to save memory - it's on the list to kill background tasks that sap battery life, as noted by the OP. Thankfully, Android is extremely aggressive about force closing crashed applications, so a task manager isn't generally required for that job. One can argue that a task manager won't save battery life in the long run, but you made no mention of that at all - thankfully, this thread does: http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/992-task-killer-help/

(Also, I guess you weren't around when Microsoft got an earful specifically because Windows started taking advantage of unused RAM to aid in operation, thus resulting in little 'free' ram - now, go ahead and take a look at, say, the Windows 7 Resource Monitor and compare how much actual unused RAM there is compared to the amount implied to be unused by the plain task manager)
    I was making a suggestion. But thanks for your loads of info I guess

I have not paid for anything.

Ever try "Boxee Remote?" So cool to use your phone as a remote control for the computer!! Boxee for Windows is in Beta but I see this as only the beginning. My mouth dropped when my phone controlled my computer.

"Jorte" is still a requirement for me! It is a calendar app that is keeping me scheduled. It has also been getting enhancements.

"Abduction!" is a silly little game that I adore. Very fun! Tilt the phone to bounce a cow to the top... to save your cow-friends who were Abducted by aliens, of course...

"PicSay" and "Photo Illusions" are great tools for editing photos. Add captions, pictures, color, design... PicSay makes me feel like a little, giggly, school girl (yeah, I said it...) with those little stickers and silly hats, etc....

"BarCode Scanner" is absolutely essential (though there are others like it)! It is great to find a QR Code and just scan it to the phone. Can scan many code types and has other uses but this is my primary use.

"Google Goggles" still really impresses me! Sending pics to Google search is sweet!

... and that is just of few of my keepers. According to "Linda File Manager" I have 57 apps downloaded and about 20MBs free for more.

What is Boxee? Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vol4one View Post
    What is Boxee? Sounds interesting.

Boxee is a Media Center where you can watch videos, TV, listen to music, show your pictures, etc. It finds video around the web, like it links to CBS.com, Hulu, Crackle.com, etc., etc., ...all from the Boxee Program.

Boxee WiFi Remote App on App Brain

Boxee.tv

The Boxee program needs some work (it is in Beta) but the WiFi Remote is super-cool!

There are other remote apps but I have only checked out Boxee's so far.

Q

Sponsored Links