Complaining to Google

This is a discussion on Complaining to Google within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; It seems I'm not alone in the fact that I feel many of the preloaded apps are completely useless. They take up much needed battery ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complaining to Google

It seems I'm not alone in the fact that I feel many of the preloaded apps are completely useless. They take up much needed battery power and memory when they are running in the background. (I don't need Backup Assistant if all of my contacts are attached to my Gmail account, and yet at least 5 times a day, I find it running!) I have read many posts making the same complaint.

A week after I purchased my Fabulous Phone, a helpful Verizon Customer Service Rep called to make sure I knew the ins and outs of my phone. (I knew after the first 48 hours thanks to this site and "playing" with the phone for 40 of those hours! Work? Who needs that?!?) She suggested I use Advanced Task Killer, which I downloaded immediately.

I feel like this is a bandaide to the real issue!

We as the user should be able to delete these pre-installed apps without having to root the phone. If we delete Facebook by "accident", guess what?!? We can go onto the Facebook website or the MarketPlace and reinstall the app!

Minty said (in another thread) this whole problem is because of Google: it's part of the Android OS. I would love to copy and paste this rant to someone at Google, but I just don't know to whom. Maybe by the time Android 2.5?? or 3.0?? comes out, we the userwill have more ability to control our phones. Until then, we're stuck with watching Visual VM and Corporate Calendar run without our permissions.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yeah it would be nice to be able to remove some apps, but to be honest, I've never once found that any of them have had any impact on my Ally's performance. My phone always seems to have around 70mb of memory available for running an app I want to use which is plenty. Nothing I have ever done has been laggy and that includes a couple of 3D games, which surprised me. I thought the Winds of Steel and Asphalt demos would run terrible, but surprisingly they ran quite smoothly.

Hi all, to clarify things, The pre-loaded apps are not a part of the Android OS, Google puts them there.

Why do they do that? It's because Google owns the OS, and so, they can. They are promoting Google and related services.

Long time ago, a small business in California was developing a mobile platform and the folks at Google took notice of the work they were doing. Google was already an internet giant, and they wanted a piece of this mobile revolution they saw taking place. The folks at Google went to California, met this team of developers,...and were very impressed with their work. So much, that they bought the the company and even talked a few of the team members to come work for them and continue developing,....Android.

At the time, there was speculation in the industry that Google was going to have Google branded cell phones produced, with of course, the Andriod OS.

Instead, they displayed Android, and the Android Market, to the cell phone manufacters and asked,...interested?

Fast forward several years,....Second quarter of 2010 and Android powered phone sales have surpassed that of iphone and BlackBerry, the leaders for some time.

Andriod OS is used by several phone manufacterers, only one uses the iphone OS system. Apple

Andriod is on all major service providers in America,...iphone is on one, AT&T.

BlackBerry converts are saying the Android Market blows away what's available for BlackBerry.

The market contains over 70,000 applications now and about 12,000 are being added each month.

Interesting note though,....All the members here know that Andriod is an upgradeable platform, however some developers have said it's somtimes difficult to make applications run smooothly across all the Andriod versions.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, or feel free to add your thoughts. Former BlackBerry users, how do you like Android?

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Hi all, to clarify things, The pre-loaded apps are not a part of the Android OS, Google puts them there.

Why do they do that? It's because Google owns the OS, and so, they can. They are promoting Google and related services.

This is half correct. Google does not put all the unnecessary apps there. Certain apps are a part of the Android OS (gmail, gtalk, picasa, most of the google apps) and critical to the phone and built in. These are the apps the "google puts there"... The phone wouldn't be as useful and awesome with out them.

You should thank Verizon for some of the other crapware installed on the phone though. Companies like Amazon apps get put there by verizon because it helps keep the cost of the hardware down. Verizon gets paid big bucks by Amazon by preinstalling the software and in turn you get a big break on the price of the phone. Amazon expects that some % of the people who get the phones will use their app and generate money for them. If you never run it you wont know its there.

Others like the backup assistant are custom Verizon apps. Theres a whole bunch of other verizon apps (like Vcast). My phone didnt come preinstalled with the back up assistant. The back up assistant was very usefull in transfering all my contacts from my storm over though. I have it uninstalled now. Im not sure if verizon would have eventually pushed it to me but its easy to uninstall.

Still others are custom apps by LG. As far as I have seen LG has been really good about not mucking up the interface like Motorola and HTC did. I still prefer the stock interface but the LG one is pretty clean. And its very easy to switch b/t the two.

I still cant figure out how socialite got in there. My best guess is that is comes due to LG wanting a social network aggregation app to be in the software.

BlackBerry converts are saying the Android Market blows away what's available for BlackBerry.

The market contains over 70,000 applications now and about 12,000 are being added each month.

Interesting note though,....All the members here know that Andriod is an upgradeable platform, however some developers have said it's somtimes difficult to make applications run smooothly across all the Andriod versions.

If I'm wrong, please correct me, or feel free to add your thoughts. Former BlackBerry users, how do you like Android?

I just switched from a bb storm myself. I am absolutely in love with my ally. My storm was to the point I was having to do a battery pull daily to keep it running and that is unacceptable.

True theres not as many apps for the bb but most of the critical ones are there. The only negative thing I can say about the android marketplace is that theres a lot garbage to wade through if you dont know what your looking for.

I wouldnt go back to bb now though.

Thanks for your clarification. But you're only half right also. Google puts most of the "certains apps" there because they wanted to. As you said, they are "built in".

Believe me my friend, the Andriod developers could have done it without the "certain apps". "Critical" to Google perhaps, but not to the Andriod OS.

And,...I'm not sure why you feel that I should thank Verizon for the "crapware" on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by crazemary View Post
    We as the user should be able to delete these pre-installed apps [b]without having to root the phone. If we delete Facebook by "accident", guess what?!? We can go onto the Facebook website or the MarketPlace and reinstall the app!

I agree.

@Minty

With Android, Google apps are rather fundamental to the experience and although the OS can work without it, it is going to be a very obviously crippled experience for you.

Although I guess you dont need any of googles integration into android, it doesnt make sense to try to run the OS without it, I mean you need a gmail account to just log in to the device!

As far as thanking verizon... Well, what I am trying to say is by installing third party apps they are able to sell the hardware at a much discounted price and that saves us money. I will take the discount and just uninstall the crap when I get the device. I havent attempted to uninstall them but none of the preinstalled stuff has gotten in the way yet either.

Gotcha Darkhorse, thank you for your input on this issue. We could go back and forth, but I understand the point you made.

By the way, thanks also for the posting about the Ally case over in accessories, looks like you made a good find!

http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/986-best-ally-case/

Gotcha Darkhorse, thank you for your input on this issue. We could go back and forth, but I understand the point you made.

By the way, thanks also for the posting about the Ally case over in accessories, looks like you made a good find!

http://www.lgallyfor...best-ally-case/

NP and I understand the point your making as well

BTW, thanks for Moderating the forum! Its a great wealth of information.

I don't mind my phone coming with all sorts of goodies! And I'm really happy with it: never before could I spend a sunny afternoon under a Maple Tree overlooking the Atlantic Ocean with a cool breeze on my back while enjoying the internet! Yeah, I'm doing that right now.

What I DO mind is not having the opportunity to delete the apps (goodies) that I personally don't use. If I wanted a phone "great for social networking" I would have bought the KinII (or which ever has the slide-out keyboard). But that's just not my thing.

Neither is randomly opening my task killer and seeing Verizon's installed Backup Assistant (which I cannot uninstall... how did you?!?), or the "let's keep the cost of our phones down by adding" Amazon app running in the background. I did not agree to their uses, and yet there they are. At the time of writing this post, 10/11 OTHER voters agreed with me that if we could delete Socialite from our Ally, we would. But at this time, we can not... sigh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links