can the Ally be used as a TV remote ?

This is a discussion on can the Ally be used as a TV remote ? within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; With all the apps I have looked at I still have not found what I am looking for so I am going to ask this ...

Thread: can the Ally be used as a TV remote ?

With all the apps I have looked at I still have not found what I am looking for so I am going to ask this semple question???

Can I get an app that will let me use it like a remote control for my zenth TV ?

Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I don't think the Ally has any IR (infrared) hardware built into it.

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    I don't think the Ally has any IR (infrared) hardware built into it.

ok for some reasion I thought the bar code scanner would work as a IR transmitter ??

learn something new ever day!

thanks

Using a WiFi connection it is possible to remotely manipulate your computer with the phone. So, if your computer is connected to the TV, then yes... sort of. But it won't be a direct TV "clicker," as some call it- but you can call up Hulu or Netflix, for example. The remote requires WiFi and a small driver download for your computer, and both the phone and computer must be on the same SSID/Network.

When I first got the Ally I downloaded the FIOS Mobile Remote app that controlled any TV that was connected to HD box and it works fine if that is what you are looking for. The download I seem to remember ballooned to around 15 megs when installed. The app works fine but imho I couldn't justify the space it was taking up on the phone and the drain on the battery it caused so I uninstalled it.

I had not heard of that, Jazz. I wonder if the App adds a network connection shared automatically with the FIOS box. Still pretty cool as an option...

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    I had not heard of that, Jazz. I wonder if the App adds a network connection shared automatically with the FIOS box. Still pretty cool as an option...

It is a cool app, but it has been awhile since I installed it but I seem to remember you use the mobile remote widget on the TV and then you authorize your mobile number and then you have control with your phone just like the remotes you get from Verizon. Here is a video explaining the app. I would never have found out about the app myself if the FIOS installers didn't mention it to me the day they installed FIOS.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links