Weather Alerts Application AND widget

This is a discussion on Weather Alerts Application AND widget within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; I am looking for a weather alerts application AND WIDGET that can take the place of the standard WX Widget. What I am after is ...

Thread: Weather Alerts Application AND widget

I am looking for a weather alerts application AND WIDGET that can take the place of the standard WX Widget.

What I am after is is one that can be

1) CONFIGURED to determine the area of alerts BY HAND. If it allows for the use of GPS etc. as an option fine, but I want to configure it by hand either by zip or actual NOAA NWS zone numbers, prefered. Needs to support 2-3 locations at a minimum.

2) Must use OFFICIAL NOAA NWS WeatherWire sources that means NO AGGREGATORS like WSI, Accuweather, weather channel, weatherbug. The widget/application MUST fetch DIRECTLY TO NOAA NWS SERVERS

3) Alerts - I am after the alerts that are put out much like the SAME radios... BUT I want to CONFIGURE which alerts I get.. No groups, as some group will have an alert I want, and 1000000 more I don't care about. I need to be able to configure the alerts one by one. Don't care if I have to turn on 100 alerts and turn off 500 more. Some stuff I just don't want to hear about.

4) Alert Notifications - Must play an alert tone, pop up on the screen, ring an alarm, put a notification on the notification bar.

5) Thanks, but NO thanks on Weather Channel, Accuweather, WSI or Weatherbug. For one weather bug is a KNOWN spy/malware user in the past, and while I no longer use winvirus OS, I want nothing to do with them. I also only want direct pulls from NOAA NWS, thus this nukes WC, AW, WSI as they are just aggregators/VAR's who add NOTHING to things in my opinion. If these work for you, thats great, but I only want the raw data from NWS NOAA and I'll do the thinking.

6) Widget mode - I am looking for something that can take the place of the LG WX widget on home screens, with a similar display and an notification about alerts on the widget.

7) Maps - display of maps of the alerts by zones would be a plus

8) NEXRAD - display of NEXRAD data would be a plus

9) CWOP data - http://www.wxqa.com/ would be a huge plus.

10) Cost - Free would be best, but a REASONABLE cost will be considered.

I've looked at tons of applications via various sources and after discounting the TV station applications and the above excluded ones (including the private label re-hashes), I am just not finding the cream of the crop.

Any one have some suggestions for this task? Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Try for free Severe Weather Alert Site. I'm signed up for it here https://alert.pa.gov/index.php?CCheck=1

Hope that link comes through ok for whoever is interested. You can control what alerts you want to be alerted for and how...phone or email. I think it's a great idea.

I have both an att phone and a Verizon phone. I have been paying for an app called my cast mobile weather on my att phone for years. not sure about the smart phone app but it is available in the market place. try their website.

My cast mobile

I love it on my Xenon. use it too schedule my construction crews. not sure if it's got all the "bells and whistles" you want but its very accurate. especially the radar and forecast. better than the local news. my friends call me accu jeff. and call me all the time for my forecast. worth a look.

'

Thanks for the replies....I should clarify...

I have had SMS akin to pager alerts for wx for a long time, I am looking to move away from that type of system to an application which pulls this stuff in from NOAA and then does the alert itself.

The MyCast while interesting, is a subcription software, and I am willing to pay a reasonable fee to purchase the software, I am not looking for sub fee based application.

Also MyCast appears to be acting as an aggregator.... which means they are imparting their take on the weather etc... I really just want the raw NOAA stuff and I will to the thinking.

Thanks for the replies, and keep them coming.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links