ssh and sftp/ftp software

This is a discussion on ssh and sftp/ftp software within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; I am after programs for: Secure Shell (SSH) Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) (Note: not the same as FTPS, SFTP is FTP via SSH, don't ...

Thread: ssh and sftp/ftp software

I am after programs for:

Secure Shell (SSH)

Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) (Note: not the same as FTPS, SFTP is FTP via SSH, don't ask its ancient!)

I've looked at various packages at various sites, and unfortunately for me they just don't provide the kind of info that the input of an actual user can provide.

So if you have an SSH and a SFTP/FTP program that you like I would like to hear about it.

ConnectBot, IRSSI Connectbot, AndFTP, Better Terminal Emulator etc... I've looked them all over, but none of the web pages really give me the warm and fuzzys... and I don't just willy nilly install programs to try...I just don't trust things installing and uninstalling and leaving cruft behind.

So lets have your input on what you like for these tasks and why.

2. is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I use AndFTP for my webpages. I have not tried anything else.
    Motorola Droid 4

I'm a sysadmin and use ssh quite a bit on my phone. I am using a version of conect-bot that ihas been modified for the Ally's keyboard:

The key mapping is perfect (once you memorize the 2 or 3 unmarked keys) and it supports ssh tunneling and pub-key auth. The only thing that would make it better is x-forwarding, but x11 would have to be ported to android first.

I don't do a ton of file transfers between the phone and machines (I usually set up an NFS share on the network and transfer machine to machine). However, when I do, I use either dropbox or Astro's sftp module. I have dropbox setup on my home laptop and work desktop, so the shared directory works a lot like an nfs share, except changes are written via rsync (faster), and I can download the files to my phone or from any web connected machine. I can also push files to the share from the phone.

Another tool that i use from time to time is this:

This is an SMB server for android that will let you share your sdcard as an SMB share on your local (wifi) network. The downside is you have to be rooted, but it works amazingly well.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links