mp3 music download advanced

This is a discussion on mp3 music download advanced within the LG Ally Apps forums, part of the LG Ally category; In the android market under top free apps, I found this app mp3 music download advanced http://market.android.com/details?id...rcher.download But is this app legal? When you download ...

Thread: mp3 music download advanced

Android Lurker Headphone Jack Problem's Avatar
    In the android market under top free apps, I found this app mp3 music download advanced http://market.android.com/details?id...rcher.download

But is this app legal? When you download mp3's through this application are you doing anything against the law or are you at risk of being prosecuted for illegal downloads like from napster etc?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I wouldn't use it. If you click on the link to go to the developers website, it takes you to Yahoo. The few trojans that have developed have mainly been used with MP3 players. With Google allowing OTA downloads, the chances of getting a trojan has increased. But I am overly cautious.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    I wouldn't use it. If you click on the link to go to the developers website, it takes you to Yahoo. The few trojans that have developed have mainly been used with MP3 players. With Google allowing OTA downloads, the chances of getting a trojan has increased. But I am overly cautious.

I see. If it's a top app, then a lot of people must have it already. I haven't seen it identified as a problem for trojans (so far only a russian app has been and that was not in the android market). But I am mostly wondering about the legality of this kind of app.

This app only searches and downloads MP3's from the Internet. How you use those songs is where the legality can be an issue. You will often find current music from countries where their distribution is legal. So, your private use should be OK but do not share or re-distribute the tracks. Also, IMO, unless you have thousands of dollars in music and/or intent to re-sell them, you would not even be a blip in their radar.

Limewire and Napster did exactly that. They let anyone upload music for anyone else to download. They did so as a feed membership, hence they were making money on other people's work. In the US, if I were to make a CD for a friend as a gift I can give them the copy of my favorite songs. If I were to charge them for the CD, that is infringement.

Just use your best judgment. I figure if I can find a song on YouTube I can hold a copy in my phone. I use the G-tunes App which is the same thing, really. But I am more likely to download old songs I cannot find rather than trying to keep up with the newest and latest songs. And if you test it, the absolute biggest and newest songs will not be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    This app only searches and downloads MP3's from the Internet. How you use those songs is where the legality can be an issue. You will often find current music from countries where their distribution is legal. So, your private use should be OK but do not share or re-distribute the tracks. Also, IMO, unless you have thousands of dollars in music and/or intent to re-sell them, you would not even be a blip in their radar.

Limewire and Napster did exactly that. They let anyone upload music for anyone else to download. They did so as a feed membership, hence they were making money on other people's work. In the US, if I were to make a CD for a friend as a gift I can give them the copy of my favorite songs. If I were to charge them for the CD, that is infringement.

Just use your best judgment. I figure if I can find a song on YouTube I can hold a copy in my phone. I use the G-tunes App which is the same thing, really. But I am more likely to download old songs I cannot find rather than trying to keep up with the newest and latest songs. And if you test it, the absolute biggest and newest songs will not be found.

Oh, thanks.

Ads