Discussions about rooting the Ally

This is a discussion on Discussions about rooting the Ally within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; Originally Posted by marcus531 The most important thing you need to understand about rooting your phone is this: DO NOT ROOT YOUR PHONE (UNLESS YOU ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussions about rooting the Ally

Quote Originally Posted by marcus531 View Post
    The most important thing you need to understand about rooting your phone is this:

DO NOT ROOT YOUR PHONE (UNLESS YOU HAVE TECHNICAL CONFIDENCE AND AN ACTUAL NEED FOR SOMETHING NOT NORMALLY AVAILABLE)

I would definitely listen to Marcus531's warming, if you don't know what you're doing, or why you are doing it, wait until there are some good reasons to root your device. One of them for me is to remove unwanted apps. You should be VERY careful doing that, as removing some apps tends to break other functions (for example, on the EVO, if you remove the startup wizard app from the phone, Marketplace FC's when you open it. If you leave the startup wizard alone, Marketplace functions normally). I'll definitely be rooting my Inc when it gets in, and remove a good bit of the software that's on it (or more than likely load up a rom that's a bare minimum system, and load the apps I want). That's one of the beauties of rooting your andoid phone, you're not stuck having to keep apps on the phone you'll NEVER use, just because your provider thinks you have to keep it on there (that's WAY to appley for me, lol).

Once someone here gets ahold of the kernel source, and compiles the phone with the wifi-tether mods, and CPU freq mods, you'll have more of a reason to actually do the rooting... Until then, unless you actually need it, I'd say don't do it .

Quote Originally Posted by will123w View Post
    I've never rooted a phone myself. Do you have a to have a linux machine to do this so far?

no, I just did it using my windows xp machine. It's easy and using barnacle, you can tether just fine.

this is the windows guide from android forums:

These directions SHOULD work for Windows, just make sure you use the drivers from pdanet, as they work in XP/Vista/7, x32 & x64. Most of these instructions are from Crepiduse. [b]I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS AT ALL, BUT THIS SHOULD WORK JUST LIKE THE LINUX DIRECTIONS. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BRICKING YOUR PHONE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED... Also, if someone would test this and report back if it works or not, that'd be great, lol.

My pre-configured pack with batch file for the initial parts of the root process is available here... Let me know if you get errors pushing the files up to the phone (not sure if the sdk uses the standard windows \, or the linux / on the windows side, lol).

make it easy for yourself and download his package from that link. it's all of 23mb in size and his directions are almost spot on from this point. not only that, but you can skip steps 2, 3, and 4 in part 1.

Windows

Part 1

Mount SD Card in Phone!

1) download windows client pack for pdanet for your flavor of windows and install drivers for debug access (or my pack I already pre-configured for root on the Ally) Download PDANet

this is very important. This program essentially gives you adb access to your phone without finding a way into the recovery console - which I have yet to find.

Follow the installation directions to a "T". The step about about going into "USB debugging" mode is most important. If you don't do that, adb will NOT see the phone. (Settings -> Application Settings -> Development -> check the box next to "USB Debugging" and click "OK" on the next screen)

edit: a little more info on the installation of PDAnet. This program is going to install the ADB driver for your ally phone. When it starts popping up and wanting to install multiple LG USB Modem's, just ignore them because you aren't going to have the drivers. The only thing that needs to be installed correctly is the ADB driver.

2) download android sdk for windows & extract to a folder (c:\android\sdk for example)

3) download http://zenthought.org/tmp/asroot2 and place in your c:\android\sdk folder

4) wget http://bit.ly/brI0EV

To make things easier, I would create a folder under the c:\android\sdk\tools called su (md c:\android\sdk\tools\su) and copy the asroot2, and the contents of the zip file over to this (just the su file, and the apk file, the rest shouldn't matter). Alternately, I'll post up a pre-configured folder you can extract into your c: root, and run the allyroot batch file in the c:\android\sdk\tools folder from there with everything where it should be for these directions...

5) bring up a command prompt in windows (might have to be administrator-level cmd, not sure)

6) Change into the folder you created in step 2 (cd c:\android\sdk\tools in my example)

7) adb push su/asroot2 /data/local/

8) adb push su/su /sdcard/su (unless you've already done #4)

9) adb push su/Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk

10) adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2

11) adb shell

A $ prompt from the android will open now (this should also be where the Allyroot.bat file should drop you, with the above steps already completed):

At this point, the only way I could get the root prompt to come up was to unmount the SD Card (Settings -> SD Card & Phone Storage Settings -> click "Unmount SD card") from the phone completely and remove it. Seems weird but it worked. Once you get through step 2a, push the SD card back into the phone and wait for it to re mount the card. You'll need the card in the phone for step 3 and beyond.

Part 2

Enter these commands from the $ prompt above:

1) /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh

(at this point your $ prompt should be a # meaning you are root, if not, type exit and then begin over, when you open the new ./adb shell you will be # root)

[s]When you get # shell, UNMOUNT the sdcard!!!!! This will make the correct link available. Then continue on.[/s]

this will void a warranty but you're not actually modifying any system files so the chances of actually bricking your phone are slim to none. just don't go deleting whatever files you want once you get root access.

Twitter
    droidforums
    This device has been flying low on the radar since it’s release in May, but developers have been hard at work trying to acheive root on this device. Thanks to some dedicated developers over at AndroidForums, they made this happen. Unfortunately, the method is done only through Linuxso far.

LINUX

Mount SD Card

(at this point your $ prompt should be a # meaning you are root, if not, type exit and then begin over, when you open the new ./adb shell you will be # root)

When you get # shell, UNMOUNT the sdcard!!!!! This will make the correct link available. Then continue on.

• mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    • cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk
    • cat /sdcard/su > /system/bin/su

Head HERE for more information.

Source: AndroidForums

The LG Ally Gets Rooted! AndroidSPIN

Source: Wuyanks - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/lg-...tml#post591429

These are the exact steps that I used to get root access on my phone.

OS used: Windows XP (windows 7 should be close to the same)

1) Download the software zip that heffe2001 created http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U371EMJ0

2) unzip that software to your C:\ drive (you should have a "C:\android" folder when done)

3) Download and install PDANet (Download PdaNet)

-during the install you will have to plug in the phone to your system

-Skip through all the "LG USB Modem" installs

-Make sure the "Android ADB" driver gets install succesfully

4) Enable USB Debugging on the Ally (Settings -> Application Settings -> Development -> check the box next to "USB Debugging" and click "OK" on the next screen)

5) Open a command prompt (Start --> Run --> type in "cmd" and press enter)

6) type in "cd c:\android\sdk\tools" and press enter

-do this step only if you haven't installed the Android SDK toolkit yet -

6a) if you don't have the SDK installed at this point run the SDKSetup program (type in "C:\android\sdk\SDK Setup.exe" then press enter - please use the quotes for this command only.) and proceed to install it. Once it's installed, forget about the update error it will throw at you and just cancel/close out of the program.

7) you should be in the C:\android\sdk\tools directory so type in "adb devices" and press enter. this is to confirm that adb can see the phone that is hooked into your computer. You should see a couple lines, one of which should read "* daemon started successfully *" then the line "List of devices attached". Under that should be a line with some odd long string of letters and numbers. if you don't see that line or any line what-so-ever under the "List of devices", adb can not communicate with your phone. Go back through the instructions and make sure you have done everything to a "T".

8) Once you can confirm adb can see your phone, type in these next few commands:

8a) adb push c:\android\sdk\tools\su\asroot2 /data/local/

8b) adb push c:\android\sdk\tools\su\su /sdcard/su

8c) adb push c:\android\sdk\tools\su\Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk

8d) adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2

8e) adb shell

* you will get a "{:content:}quot; prompt in your command window - you are now connected into your phone*

9) At this point, I had to unmount the SD card in my phone and remove it completely (Settings -> SD Card & Phone Storage Settings -> click "Unmount SD card"). I don't know why, but this was the only way the next command would give me the root prompt.

10) once the SD card is unmounted and removed from your phone, type in "/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh". Whether or not it's successful, you'll see a line similar to "SUCCESS! Enjoy ...". After that line (or whatever it says), you should see a "#" prompt instead of a "{:content:}quot; prompt. This is the root prompt. If you don't see this prompt don't try to continue. go back and figure out what might have gone wrong. More than likely the asroot2 program didn't work correctly for you.

11) Once you have the root prompt, type in the following command:

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

This is important. If you don't do this, you won't be able to add any file to the "/system" directory on the phone

12) At this point, push the SD card back into the phone and wait for the phone to re mount it. should take only about 5-10 seconds.

13) finish up with the following commands:

13a) cat /sdcard/Superuser.apk > /system/app/Superuser.apk

13b) cat /sdcard/su > /system/bin/su

13c) chmod 06755 /system/bin/su

13d) reboot

Your phone should reboot and when it comes back up, check your programs. You should see the "Superuser Permissions" icon. Congrats, you're "rooted" (which really just means you have administrator access to your phone)...

Think we might be able to get the link to my pack changed to: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U371EMJ0

It's killin my bandwidth, lol.

I also mirrored it up on multiupload:

http://www.multiupload.com/0EHKSG6AA8

This one should have the changes for the bad pathnames in the original bat file as well.

changed in both posts. I'll go change the link on androidforums.com in a sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Crux.V View Post
    changed in both posts. I'll go change the link on androidforums.com in a sec.

Folks will probably get better speed off the mirrors anyway, best connection we could get here in town was a straight T1, and we really should have something on the order of a T3, or at the very least dual T1's. Just can't get the owners to let loose their pocketbooks for more bandwidth, lol.

If anybody is having problems doing this black magic through windows vista I can post a tutorial, persay, of just the exact steps I took. Its not terribly hard, but definately not worth it if you want to install roms or whatnot, just yet. I've done this method twice and it works beautifully. (I bricked my other phone from a stupid typo, but it was under warranty. Lol)

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Ok, finally got the $ to change into a # lol. Rebooted and I see the Superuser icon in my programs. So... what cool stuff can I do now?

For example how do I go about removing some of the stock programs now that it's rooted?
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Go to the market and download an app by the name of titanium backup. It also downloads an app called busybox, if you press the problems button in the app. From there, click on backup/restore tab and have fun. Click on an app, and it'll ask if you wanna backup, freeze, or uninstall the app. It even let's you wipe all the data from your phone. BUT! Be careful, if you remove the wrong app your phone will turn into a 500 dollar paper weight. Just remove socialite, myspace, visual voicemail, think free office, and voice search. Then reboot when you get a whole bunch of fc's I.e. hold the power button down. I wanted to delete the lg home launcher, but got scared and didn't. I might do it if there was a way to unbrick it from my computer, just in case anything goes arai.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links