Discussions about rooting the Ally

This is a discussion on Discussions about rooting the Ally within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; Valkerie...post #20 mentions this. I wonder if its the key after rooting.. Go to the market and download an app by the name of titanium ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Discussions about rooting the Ally

Valkerie...post #20 mentions this. I wonder if its the key after rooting..

Go to the market and download an app by the name of titanium backup. It also downloads an app called busybox, if you press the problems button in the app. From there, click on backup/restore tab and have fun. Click on an app, and it'll ask if you wanna backup, freeze, or uninstall the app. It even let's you wipe all the data from your phone. BUT! Be careful, if you remove the wrong app your phone will turn into a 500 dollar paper weight. Just remove socialite, myspace, visual voicemail, think free office, and voice search. Then reboot when you get a whole bunch of fc's I.e. hold the power button down. I wanted to delete the lg home launcher, but got scared and didn't. I might do it if there was a way to unbrick it from my computer, just in case anything goes arai.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkerie View Post
    I installed it, says it's rooted and the superuser shortcut is available. However I cannot uninstall the worthless stock apps. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Can someone confirm it works and post directions?

I installed titanium backup from the market. Once in the program hit "problems?" Install busybox frolm there. Restart titanium backup and then you can uninstall default apps.

Will this affect anything when froyo finally hits the ally? Will we still be able to update ota?

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    Awesome thanks guys. Currently my phone has cracked up glass from my mother. Long story, I may try on this Ally since it'll be replaced; yet I don't want to in case it bites me in the ass when I send it in for the insurance claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman19 View Post
    Will this affect anything when froyo finally hits the ally? Will we still be able to update ota?

As long as you don't install a custom rom that has ota upfates disabled you will be fine. I rooted so I could uninstall default apps and have more memory free. Ill update with the list of apps I deleted, the ones that aren't tied deep into the OS.

My list: themes, lghome, lg calend socialite, thinkfree, live wallpaper, mu socialite, thinkfree, live wallpaper, mu magic smoke thing, and backup assistant.

I certainly have no plans to install any custom ROMS to be honest. I just want to delete unwanted system apps.

So I rooted using Universal Androot and deleted some stock apps with Titanium Backup and now I can't download anything from the marketplace. I guess that's ok since my phone is toast and gettong replaced anyway. It'd still be nice to know what I deleted that the marketplace doesn't like. Otherwise the phone works great, not much of a memory gain but quicker and smoother operation.

I believe with Titanium backup, from what I can see, you can restore what you have deleted. What I did was backup all apps (user and system first) then when I delete something, it stays on the bottom of the app screen with a line through it. You can click it, and select "restore".

I agree that the system apps you can delete safely (myspace, socialite, etc..) did not take up that much memory anyway. The only fix is moving all apps to the SD card once we get Froyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman19 View Post
    I believe with Titanium backup, from what I can see, you can restore what you have deleted. What I did was backup all apps (user and system first) then when I delete something, it stays on the bottom of the app screen with a line through it. You can click it, and select "restore".

I agree that the system apps you can delete safely (myspace, socialite, etc..) did not take up that much memory anyway. The only fix is moving all apps to the SD card once we get Froyo.

I have a few with lines through them but cannot restore a couple of them. It's not a terrible issue as I said since this Ally is already headed to the scrap heap. It's a valuble lesson for when my new one arrives.

I got my new Ally yesterday. Physically and operationally it seems much nicer than my first one. It's a bit smoother and quicker and the keys and slider action are even better. I did the Universal Androot almost immediately so I could restore my old settings etc. using Titanium Backup. It worked nearly flawlessly, I only had 2 phone settings that didn't transfer. Otherwise even my all my app/game info transferred. I'm very happy with the new Ally.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links