Discussions about rooting the Ally

This is a discussion on Discussions about rooting the Ally within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; How do you use the universal androot? Ha having the link in another language and english does not help much. I work for Verizon and ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Discussions about rooting the Ally

How do you use the universal androot? Ha having the link in another language and english does not help much. I work for Verizon and they gave me my Ally. Its a cool phone but I want to root it!

Thanks in advance!

Nevermind I did it from scratch following the android forums guidelines. There is a good video on youtube also. If you download his folder config his commands are PERFECT!

I was able to root it easilly but I think i messed something up when i deleted the messaging app hoping to make handcent work better. I am no longer getting incoming messages, altho can send them and see them in the quick response just not in the main window. Is there a way to download the original app?

I think you need the base messaging app, which works in conjunction with Handcent, Chomp, etc.... Am not sure about finding the original ROM. Might want to try a google search. Also seems like with universal androot and titanium backup, you cant restore system apps once they have been deleted, only installed add ons.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman19 View Post
    I think you need the base messaging app, which works in conjunction with Handcent, Chomp, etc.... Am not sure about finding the original ROM. Might want to try a google search. Also seems like with universal androot and titanium backup, you cant restore system apps once they have been deleted, only installed add ons.

I can confirm that Universal Androot and Titanium Backup issue.

My advice - before you root (or modify anything special, really), run this recovery image using adb as explained in the OP and make a NANDroid backup of your phone. That way, if things truly go bad you can restore your phone perfectly (as long as you can still reach the bootloader ...)

You don't have to install this to your phone to take advantage of it (just do your backup after step 5), so use it!

...not that I've ever had to do the "make the phone look stock/enough to get a warranty replacement" song and dance before, not at all, honest .>

hey toolman, let me know if you still don't have messaging ability. i did the same thing to mine and last night i fixed it by flashing the stock ally rom.

Quote Originally Posted by kylehat68 View Post
    hey toolman, let me know if you still don't have messaging ability. i did the same thing to mine and last night i fixed it by flashing the stock ally rom.

Thanks, i ended up dont the same thing once i found the upgrade file (still wasnt able to get it from LG). Now I am trying to figure out what other apps i can remove without screwing anything up. Had to leave in the TTS so that saymyname would work, but i am quickly running out of space on the rom and want to add more apps.

Okay, so I know I probably should not be attempting to root my phone since I am not technical at all. But I've spent all day on this forum debating if I should I just decided that I can't live with these stupid apps Verizon pushed to me. I've printed out the instructions and watches a youtube video on how to do it. I have successfully downloaded the software zip but when I attempt to download the PDANet it will not let me skip the LG USB Modem install. Am I missing something?

Rooted with Universal Androot from 4shared.com today. Got "Titanium Backup", "Superuser" , "Barnacle", and "SetCPU" . Backed up everything that I wanted to un-install before un-installing with Titanium. No more City ID, amazon, dual clock, live wallpapers, socialite, etc.... WiFi hotspot works awesome with Barnacle... The CPU speed is no longer restricted thanks to SetCPU and the device really is noticeably faster....

I use LauncherPro with 7 screens and 3 dock shortcut bars.

I am very happy with the changes. Very easy to figure all of it out.

SO.... What rooted apps should I get to make things even better???

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links