Used Universal Androot on my Ally

This is a discussion on Used Universal Androot on my Ally within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; I just downloaded this easy root app that lets me root the phone with the press of a button. My brother said that it was ...

Thread: Used Universal Androot on my Ally

I just downloaded this easy root app that lets me root the phone with the press of a button. My brother said that it was rooted due to that I had an app called superuser. Is there a way i can confirm that it truly is rooted and if so is it now possible for me to install custom roms. thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by kratom420 View Post
    I just downloaded this easy root app that lets me root the phone with the press of a button. My brother said that it was rooted due to that I had an app called superuser. Is there a way i can confirm that it truly is rooted and if so is it now possible for me to install custom roms. thanks

I just used Universal Androot yesterday to one click root, unrooted and rooted again. Works like a charm. I then d/l from the market Launcher Pro, Busybox and Titanium Backup. Backed up most the bloatware apps that came preinstalled that seem always be running even though i don't use them nor want them:angry: , I did leave some just because I use them:D I then uninstalled the lil nasty buggers from MY phone.. I'm watching the apps that seem to be restarting on their own that imo shouldn't be, those will be wiped next..like Ebay and Facebook. Right now I have 53% RAM open and this lil Ally is zipping right along..no issues what so ever..so far..IF something hiccups after an uninstall, I've got a nice neat lil backup of it.. Next up is one of those cache cleaners..

At this point I have no desire to use a custom rom but then again 3 weeks ago, I had no desire to root either so lol..we shall see..

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Seeing the SuperUser icon isn't a guarantee that you're successfully rooted. You should download some sort of app that requires root permission, and make sure it actually works properly and doesn't give you any error messages that it can't get proper permissions. Once you can verify that root-required apps are working on your phone, you'll know for sure.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    Seeing the SuperUser icon isn't a guarantee that you're successfully rooted. You should download some sort of app that requires root permission, and make sure it actually works properly and doesn't give you any error messages that it can't get proper permissions. Once you can verify that root-required apps are working on your phone, you'll know for sure.

it works i have loaded 2 roms on it so far

Quote Originally Posted by gregskeels View Post
    it works i have loaded 2 roms on it so far

thats exactly what i was looking for, i know it says its rooted and runs apps that require root but the $ sign in terminal kinda creeps me out, after reading other threads about root saying its wasnt successful if you dont see #

now time to start doing some roms

Android Lurker zaphodbebleebrox's Avatar
    so i ran Software2Tech.com Android Root Apps: Updated Universal Androot (1.6.2) Beta Released and Available for Download. and rooted da phone. phone is all around faster.

I downloaded a terminal emulatur from market and removed the following:

amazon.2010.3.18.mshop_signed.aligned.apk

amazonmp3_1.7.63_signed_zipaligned.apk

CityID-release.apk

com.facebook.katana.apk

Skype_mobile.1.0.0.20.live.apk

DualClockWidget.apk

Aloha_SNS.apk

LiveWallpapersPicker.apk

VVM_01_00_22.apk

Universal Androot works great and it's so easy to do. I have tried both versions of the Velocity Roms. I am currently using Velocity VO.2, I like the droid theme wall papers and ringtones. The phone seems to run faster and smoother. I have also installed Titanium Backup, Rom Manager, an Overclock widget and Barnacle WiFi Tether since rooting. With the custom rom and kernal with VO.2 the wifi tether works great. I hope we will have a 2.2 Froyo rom out soon. Thanks to all who have researched and came up with these programs, they really make customizing your phone really easy. My hats off to all the programmers!

I've used it too to remove some of the "unremovable" apps. I'm not that interested in going much deeper into root work than that, but I love having the option now.

So after rooting, backing up, then uninstalling what you want, should one then "un-root", or just leave root access as it is?

Figured it out. Running Velocity v0.2. Yummy. It's a whole new Ally.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links