EZ removal of System Apps

This is a discussion on EZ removal of System Apps within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; I kept running out of room on my phone and noticed that those system apps took up over 1/2 the space. I was bound to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EZ removal of System Apps

I kept running out of room on my phone and noticed that those system apps took up over 1/2 the space. I was bound to get rid of them.

Here is how I did it.

(as most post - I am not responsible for you bricking your phone or voiding your warranty)

1) Download and install apkinstaller found on Android Market

on your computer

2) Download Universial Androot (not on Android Market)

3) Plug Phone to computer, mount SD card, create a directory on the SD card such as apkdownloads

4) Unmount SD Card and remove phone from computer.

5) Go to settings / applications / development and check USB Debugging and Stay Awake.

go to settings / applications and check the unknown sources

return to home screen

6) Run apkinstaller

7) Go to directory you just make (apkdownloads) and click on universialAndroot.....

8) It will install it for you OK

9) Run Universal Androot and click on the root button

10) Reboot your phone (just for safe measures)

11) After reboot look for superuser permissions app (if you see it, your phone is rooted)

12) Download app called System App Remover (yes it cost a buck and no i have no idea who wrote the app but its worth it)

13) unlucky # - moving on

14) Run System App Remover - Grant it superuser permission

Click on systems apps - Remove carefully

I removed socialite, Amazon & Amazon mp3, dual clocks, myspace, and space hog thinkoffice

15) Reboot phone again just to be safe

16) Run Universal Androot and unroot the phone (just to keep thinks safe) (also turnoff dev. mode and stay awake)

There you go.

If you want more detailed list of things you can remove such as magicsmokewallapers and such

17) download Android Terminal Emulator by Jack Palevich and follow the directions listed here Uninstalling Apps

Don't forget to read though the entire thread, there is a fix toward the bottom of the thread.

hope this helps save someone 3 days and 5 hrs of errors and wild goose chases.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Good how-to. I would definitely steer clear of uninstalling any Google apps, as they are all tied together and that can cause problems. I uninstalled Google Talk a while back and suddenly I couldn't download anything from the Market. Had to go through a long annoying process to reset my phone. But things like Amazon, Myspace, etc, are good candidates for the garbage can.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Why didn't you just root, use Titanium Backup to remove, then unroot? Sounds like an extra 50 steps...

Quote Originally Posted by joe3681 View Post
    Why didn't you just root, use Titanium Backup to remove, then unroot? Sounds like an extra 50 steps...

How do you root? How many steps is that?

For those of us that can't "just root" our phones, we can remove programs without risking bricking our phones.

The above phone has been rooted. That's what universal androot does. Once you unlock the bootloader through this program, kiss the warranty goodbye.

Be sure you know what you're doing / deleting before you proceed.

And yes, even if you un-root the phone, a tech can clearly see it was. First clue is pre-installed apps are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by joe3681 View Post

busybox failed to install and titanium backup went into a restart loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    The above phone has been rooted. That's what universal androot does. Once you unlock the bootloader through this program, kiss the warranty goodbye.

Be sure you know what you're doing / deleting before you proceed.

And yes, even if you un-root the phone, a tech can clearly see it was. First clue is pre-installed apps are gone.

yes i understand it voids the warranty , but the store i bought my phone has a full replacement warranty for $100. If it goes bad, i'll

"drop" it into the lake and then just get a new one.

Yes the your right, the programs would be missing , lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfan0925 View Post
    How do you root? How many steps is that?

For those of us that can't "just root" our phones, we can remove programs without risking bricking our phones.

No - I looked at about 10 message boards and could not find an unrooted process. The programs are locked in a read only system folder.

Becasue - who uses MySpace any more anyways? Angry Birds is worth the space much more than socialite that is already duplicating the Facebook app already.

So you bought the full replacement warranty for 100 dollars. In this case, not a bad idea.

And,.....you now have hacking skillz.

So, quick question to the topic creator. If i do root my phone, just temporarily, to remove these apps. Can't i just reset my phone back to factory settings to replace them all if anything goes wrong with my phone? I want these useless apps gone, but i don't want to permanently lose my warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links