Velocity 0.3 is out

This is a discussion on Velocity 0.3 is out within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; Originally Posted by Joe No luck with either. When I try to Reboot to Recovery from within ROM Manager, it reboots but then flashes a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Velocity 0.3 is out

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    No luck with either. When I try to Reboot to Recovery from within ROM Manager, it reboots but then flashes a screen real quick with the android icon and a triangle with an exclamation point in it, then the phone just reboots itself normal. So I never actually get to the Recovery mode to do the ROM flash.

@Joe - Did you apply dresildee's custom recovery.img? You cant install roms with the regular recovery that comes on the Ally.

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-th...stom-roms.html

What you describe sounds like the stock recovery.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    If you're using Clockwork recovery flash it again. It sounds like it didn't take the first time. Or use Drellisdee's custom recovery, I've heard good things but have yet to make the switch.

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Flash Velocity and then Turbo and whatever else on top of it. For flashing Velocity, once you get to the recovery menu, you need to wipe data, cache, and dalvik cache. For other things like turbo, you delete the two caches, but you don't need to wipe data all over again.

Joe, I used to have the exact same problem with Rom Manager. Here is what works for me. Open Rom Manger, press your phone's menu key, go to settings. Make sure the box is checked for "Erase Recovery - recovery will be erased prior to flashing". Go back out to the first ROM Manager screen. Click flash Clockwork at the top again. Wait for it to say success. Then click reboot into recovery. After all these steps, this time you should get the recovery menu instead of an error message.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Thanks. I will try it again using your steps whenever I get a chance.

That worked. I decided to start with just the GNM_Turbo4_no_kernel. It seemed to install fine and my Linpack score went up from 4.188 to 6.736 so I guess it installed correctly. Can't say as I notice any difference in the way the phone is running, but i'm assuming it is faster. Any way I can tell if it's faster? Will webpages load quicker, etc.? Will my phone run hotter or get less battery life?

Thanks for the help with ROM Manager....

I think I got a bigger return from switching to Velocity .3 from stock due to all the verizon installed crap on the install (the stock ROM was autostarting many processes I never used and in two cases running more than one copy of the same process). With Velocity .3 nothing starts unless I use it and it usually stops when I close the app.

The GNM Turbo only really boosted the Linpack scores. Went from a 3.5 stock to 8.66.

The one piece that really put it all together was the LauncherPro. Its seems alot more responsive and its functionality is totally customizable to what your needs are...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse153 View Post
    I think I got a bigger return from switching to Velocity .3 from stock due to all the verizon installed crap on the install (the stock ROM was autostarting many processes I never used and in two cases running more than one copy of the same process). With Velocity .3 nothing starts unless I use it and it usually stops when I close the app.

The GNM Turbo only really boosted the Linpack scores. Went from a 3.5 stock to 8.66.

The one piece that really put it all together was the LauncherPro. Its seems alot more responsive and its functionality is totally customizable to what your needs are...

Does the overall operating system seem to be more responsive? Apps launching and returning to home screen? I can switch screens with Launcher Pro using stock ROM with pretty good results. My big problem is programs hanging at times.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    http://androidforums...tml#post1697751

Just got it installed. This is the quickest and most responsive my Ally has ever been. I don't think I'm going to run the overclock kernel like I did with V0.2, my battery life was terrible.

This explains how to prepare your SD card as to avoid any conflicts.

http://androidforums...dcard-a2sd.html

This Rom is AMAZING! - The Auto Apps2SD on 2.1 is well worth doing this NOW than waiting for LG to drag out 2.2 if ever it does.

After most of the day, i'd have to say that I don't notice any major change at all with my phone using the GNM_Turbo4 so i'd like to go back to the stock ROM I had before. I made a backup of it beforehand so no worries there, but I do have a question about doing the restore.

1.) Should I restore my backup from within Rom Manager or boot into Recovery and do it from there?

2.) Which caches should I clear. I'm assuming the partition cache and the dalvik cache, but what about the data wipe\factory reset? Do I need to do that one as well?

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    The benefit of the Turbo kernel is that you can use SetCPU to overlock the phone. The kernel alone might boost a little bit of performance but the entire point is that you can speed up on the phone once you flash that kernel. It should have come with SetCPU, at least when I installed it I automatically had that App. You can boost the processor from 600Mhz to 787.

I've never flashed a backup myself, but I've heard any time you flash a Rom, you wipe data, cache, and dalvik, so I would wipe it all when doing a backup too. Maybe someone else can confirm though.

LauncherPro is a great idea no matter what; stock, rooted, ROM'd, etc. It's the best launcher! Velocity 0.3 with LauncherPro is great.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links