Universal Androot

This is a discussion on Universal Androot within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; I finally decided to root my phone so I could remove some of the unwanted apps. Plus, I've been thinking about trying one of the ...

Thread: Universal Androot

I finally decided to root my phone so I could remove some of the unwanted apps. Plus, I've been thinking about trying one of the Velocity ROMs since it doesn't appear we will be getting 2.2 as previously thought (that's just my opinion). I rooted the phone using Universal Androot and that worked fine. I downloaded Titanium Backup so I could backup the apps I was going to remove. I just did the Amazon MP3 one first to see if I could restore it after removing it. Couldn't figure that one out. But, my main problem was that I could receive texts anymore after rooting. It would reject texts because I was at my limit. I deleted several text threads and it still wouldn't work. So, I unrooted and now I can receive texts.

I searched for forum and couldn't find anything on this topic. Sorry if I overlooked it but why can't I receive texts after rooting? And, how do you restore apps that you've removed using Titanium Backup?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Rooting your phone should have no effect on your text messaging.

I'm not following how you figure your phone was rejecting text messages... (ie: how can you know when someone has sent you a text if you cant receive text?)

I would be willing to bet theres something else going on here... Have you installed Handcent or some other SMS replacement?

I'm using ChompSMS....I just re-rooted the phone and now texts are working fine. Strange. As for the limit message, it was showing up in the notification bar. I can't remember exactly what it said now.

Anyhow, as for Titanium Backup....how do I restore Amazon MP3 after I removed it? I made sure to do a backup first but don't see a restore button. I'd just like to understand it better before I start removing apps.

Single Pressing, not Long Pressing is what brings up the "Restore" buttons in Titanium Backup.
    SmartPhone (s):
    Motorola Droid2Global
    : Stock, Rooted
    Motorola Droid (OG) : Ultimate Droid 3.3.0 w/ ChevyNo1 1.25 ULV kernel
    Verizon (HTC) xv6800 : (Windows Mobile 6.1)
    Palm Treo 700wx
    : (Windows Mobile 5.0)

Android Tablet(s):
    Archos 70It (250GB)
    : Stock, Rooted with Archangel exploit
    B+N Nook Color : UD 3.3.0
    Toshiba Thrive (32 GB): Stock, Rooted

i downloaded universal androot and selected superuser for android 2.0~2.2.....do i want to select generate log in /sdcard?

edit

also do i need to partition or back up before i root?

I don't think the log matters. You don't have to partition or backup before rooting, but if you are concerned you can.

I too agree with Joe.

Android Jr Member David Sevigny's Avatar
    so i was gonna root this evening. read a few posts on the upgrade...slowed my role. i would like some input on how i was gonna go about it. an order of operations if you will. please dont address the upgrade here as i have posted on that thread. here is a list of executions that i would have performed this evening. do they seem correct?

*press "the button" in universal androot.

*download/install Titanium Backup

*back up everything, wherever it wanted to put it.

*download/install Apps2SD

*monitor phone operations for 3 days

*delete safe bloatware

*move my big apps 2 the SD, following its dummy prompts

*cross fingers

what r ur thots?

1.) If your are on the VZB or VZC update, I don't think Universal Androot will work anymore. You would have to use z4root I believe.

2.) Titanium Backup is great for backing up apps, but i've never had any luck restoring them. What I would do (because it's what I did do), is install ClockWorkMod after you root the phone. Then use CWM to backup your current ROM to your SD Card. That way you can quickly restore the phone to exactly the way it was before you started messing with app removal. Then I would use Titanium Backup to unistall any apps you think you won't need. If you find you made a mistake, just restore your ClockWorkMod backup and start again.

3.) Not sure you can use apps2sd unless you have one of the custom ROMs, like Velocity or Raptor. Simply rooting the phone doesn't give you that ability. You still need to install a ROM that adds that support.

4.) You can't selectively choose which apps get moved to the SDCard. It's either all of them if you enable apps2sd or none of them if you don't use it.

5.) You don't have to cross your fingers. As long as you follow the steps for doing things, you can't really harm the phone in any way. It's pretty hard to brick the phone and there always seems to be a way to get out of trouble. I'd suggest visiting the Ally forum @ AndroidForums. They have a ton of resources on the proper ways to do a lot of the things you are asking about and many more that you might not even know are possible.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links