Need help with some stuff
This is a discussion on Need help with some stuff within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; So I was happily rooted with Universal Androot and Superuser and using Barnacle to wireless tether. All was good. Then along came the "maintenance" update ...
So I was happily rooted with Universal Androot and Superuser and using Barnacle to wireless tether. All was good. Then along came the "maintenance" update the other day and now UA ans SU no longer work and Barnacle needs these.
So now I need a little help...
1. Is there a way to get UA to work with the new update?
1a. Is there a wireles tether app out there that doesnt require root?
2. someone please explain what flashing is and do I need to do it
3. Am I missing out if I dont install a custom rom?
4. How can I save apps to my SD card and run them from there?
Android.net is the premier Android Forum
. Registered users do not see these ads. .
Android Jr Member
1. download z4root from the market. It is reported to work on VZC
2. Flashing is the process of replacing the stock ROM and/or kernel with a new, custom one. Just to get root, you don't need to do it.
3. Yes and No. Custom ROMs run a heck of a lot faster and geek out the phone. If all you want is a phone to make calls and run a few apps, you won't notice a huge benefit. if you are a "power user", you'll wonder how you lived with the stock ROM. Flashing ROMs runs risk of breaking the file system, so you really should have some comfort level with computers before attempting.
4. You need a custom ROM. Velocity 0.3 has ramdisk support compiled in.
Thanks a bunch.
I downloaded z4root and it worked great.