App Inventor by Google Labs

This is a discussion on App Inventor by Google Labs within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; Google Labs has come up with a program called App Inventor for Android. It hasn't been release yet but you can read more about it ...

Thread: App Inventor by Google Labs

Google Labs has come up with a program called App Inventor for Android. It hasn't been release yet but you can read more about it here: About App Inventor

The program is supposed to allow non-programmers to be able to create their own programs for Android without them having to learn a programming language. Instead, you add blocks to your apps and the blocks contain the code hidden in the background. There is a block for just about anything that an app can do with Android.

I have already downloaded and installed the Android SDK and Eclipse which is why I asked for this board to be created. I have started working on my first app for the LG Ally. However, I plan on trying the App Inventor when they release it just to see how well it works. I took a year at college trying to learn to program using Java but I am still confused 90% of the time.
    Motorola Droid 4

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Yeah I saw this on the news the other morning. Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I'll be tempted to mess with it when it comes out. Hopefully we'll get some interesting apps from people with good ideas who never really knew how to program it now that they'll have access to this.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

That is a freaking awesome idea. What bmb said. App creation is limited to the few geeks who can write them. But little stuff like I want an app that gives me different vibration settings to attach to different notifications, I can just make it instead of possibly getting an app that may do it, but is a huge app that does 30 other things I don't want.

App Inventor (http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/) lets you develop applications for Android phones using a web browser and either a connected phone or emulator. The App Inventor servers store your work and help you keep track of your projects.

You build apps by working with:

• The App Inventor Designer, where you select the components for your app.
    • The App Inventor Blocks Editor, where you assemble program blocks that specify how the components should behave. You assemble programs visually, fitting pieces together like pieces of a puzzle.
    Your app appears on the phone step-by-step as you add pieces to it, so you can test your work as you build. When you're done, you can package your app and produce a stand-alone application to install.

If you don't have an Android phone, you can build your apps using the Android emulator, software that runs on your computer and behaves just like the phone.

The App Inventor development environment is supported for Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, and Windows operating systems, and several popular Android phone models. Applications created with App Inventor can be installed on any Android phone.

Enjoy,

Rob

http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/54...ntry1000003009

Thanks for the reminder. This info was already posted in the development section but it was buried in all the threads about rooting.
    Motorola Droid 4

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    I think I may have to give App Inventor a try. I'm not sure what I'd make yet, but I imagine I can think of something small yet useful.

I set it up but at the time the apps you made with it couldn't be loaded to the market and only worked on your own phone. Not sure if that has changed.
    Motorola Droid 4

I will have to look into it more. I remember reading something about packaging the apps after they are created. Not sure if that means they can be put on the market or not.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    I guess I don't mind if the apps made cannot be put on the market. They'd be for personal use anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    http://www.lgallyfor...entry1000003009

Thanks for the reminder. This info was already posted in the development section but it was buried in all the threads about rooting.

I merged these topics and added the pin. So if this content reads weird, it is my fault. There is a big dip in the conversation but hopefully people are ready to get a'Developing.

Sponsored Links