What to uninstall

This is a discussion on What to uninstall within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; i have rooted my ally, and im using titanium to uninstall things, can someone give me the best list of things i can safley uninstall ...

Thread: What to uninstall

i have rooted my ally, and im using titanium to uninstall things, can someone give me the best list of things i can safley uninstall to give me more space and use less battery. right now with nothing open just the phone running i have 11mb free ram. well its 11+ 32 does that mean i have 43 mb free?, just looking for what i can uninstall thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If I was rooted, I'd uninstall Amazon, Amazon MPS, City ID, Corporate Directory, Corporate Calendar, Dual Clock, LG Home, MySpace, Skype mobile, Socialite, and Visual Voicemail.

Is it safe to remove that list? I don't know, but since I'm not rooted, I've not bothered to check.

i know about uninstalling those, im talking more along the line of the .com items and things like that, the non apps.

You certainly have to be careful with what you remove because a few of the apps are needed for the phone to function properly, but you can still remove quite a few things without fear of screwing up the phone. Someone over at AndroidForums put together a nice list of the apps that they removed without causing any problems and the ones that will cause problems. It might help you figure out what you can get rid of.

Safe to Remove

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    i know about uninstalling those, im talking more along the line of the .com items and things like that, the non apps.

Then say what you mean.

My phone currently has 11MB + 16MB in 4 Other: 86MB in 8.

That means 11MB are unused and free + 16MB are currently being used by 4 Apps but they will be available immediately. The phone reads this as 27MB free. 86MB are being used by 8 Apps and they cannot be interrupted.

Upon restart I have: 15MB + 44MB in 21 Other: 60MB in7. Proof that restarting your phone makes it faster.

Just my 2 cents. I rooted a while back and uninstalled a bunch of things, amazon, amazon mp3, skype, etc. I barely gained a few megs so it wasnt worth it. I ended up reflashing to v6 then letting the phone upgrade back to current version..... We are getting froyo soon (supposedly) so some of the apps we use will be able to be installed to the sd card assuming the app developers has included that functionality. This should alleviate the small memory problem we have on the ally.

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    Just my 2 cents. I rooted a while back and uninstalled a bunch of things, amazon, amazon mp3, skype, etc. I barely gained a few megs so it wasnt worth it. I ended up reflashing to v6 then letting the phone upgrade back to current version..... We are getting froyo soon (supposedly) so some of the apps we use will be able to be installed to the sd card assuming the app developers has included that functionality. This should alleviate the small memory problem we have on the ally.

After you remove those apps, you need to go into the recovery and wipe your dalvik cache and cache (don't wipe data) to regain the space those apps used. If you don't, you won't see much increase in space. I went from 102mb to 135mb after removing all of the Verizon bloatware and then wiping my caches.

Dalvik Cache?

Hey @flyinJoe,
    How do you get to your Dalvik Cache and wipe it?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links