2.2.1 Easy Root

This is a discussion on 2.2.1 Easy Root within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; This is buried in a thread in the main help section, but I wanted to give it its own headline because it works and it ...

Thread: 2.2.1 Easy Root

This is buried in a thread in the main help section, but I wanted to give it its own headline because it works and it makes rooting 2.2.1 much simpler than flashing back to VZC. I want to give credit to poctob for the original post. This also works well on Linux as well as windows.

This method makes use of what is known as the rageinthecage exploit that was not patched in the 2.2.1 update. The exploit works by forking a bunch of processes until the processor hits it's max. The system responds by killing off older running processes. In this fashion, the exploit forces the android system to kill the adb shell. When the shell restarts (when you reconnect), it starts with root rights, but then calls a function (setuid) to change the permissions of the shell to the unprivileged user. Since the rageinthecage process is still running, it keeps the process list full and prevents setuid from running, giving you a root shell. This lets you push needed binaries to the system to get su access whenever you need it.

Note: this is a simple process but is not as simple as a one click root. You will need a working adb shell, which requires having your computer configured with the proper drivers. This has been covered in the past ad nauseum, so I will defer that discussion to other posts.

The software tools you will need are found in the latest version of a package called SuperOneClickRoot (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682)

Now, this package includes an .exe that 'should' do this all automatically. I opted to go the manual route instead, but feel free to try the automatic route and report back.Extract the zip file somewhere handy and take note of the files. You have adb.exe and adblinux. If you are on linux, you can use adblinux to connect to the phone...use adb.exe on windows. If you have the sdk already installed on your system, you can just copy the required files over and use your existing adb binary too. In this writeup, I just use "adb", but you will have to change to be adblinux if you are running linux and using the adb binary that came in the zipfile.

Now for the steps:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start by changing into the directory where you have the unzipped files

Step 1: obtain temporary root:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Install and Run PSNeuter

Code:
    adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp/psneuter

adb shell

cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 0755 psneuter

./psneuter

You will get kicked out of the adb shell, so restart it

Code:
    adb shell

Your shell should now be # indicating a root shell

Now remount the system dir as rw and exit to begin pushing files to the system

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system

exit

Step 2: Make the root stick

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Push the super user and associated files to the phone and chmod them:

Code:
    adb push su-v2 /system/bin/su

adb push busybox /system/bin/busybox

adb push sqlite3 /system/bin/sqlite3

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

adb shell 

cd /system/bin 

chmod 4755 su 

chmod 4755 busybox 

chmod 4755 sqlite3
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reboot the phone and open up a local terminal. Typing 'su' should bring up a "Super User Permission" dialog. Hit yes. Don't be surprised if it hangs for a moment and gives you a "permission denied" error. Just try it one more time. This second time should bring up the dialog again, but should drop you into a root (#) shell. Now you should be able to run any superuser programs and do super user things (like flash recoveries).

As I mentioned, this entire process is automated with a GUI tool, but I find the manual way fairly simple and it gives you a better understanding of what is happening with your phone. As always, do this at your own risk and be careful with what you type or copy/paste, as messing with system files can hose your phone.

The easiest way I found to delete bloatware is to use adb to copy over all the of the apk and odex files for the apps you plan on removing using "abd pull", then logging into a root shell and deleting them. If I have some free time, I may write this up a simple bash script that will do this automatically.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

This rooting went perfectly from Verizon Froyo 2.21. However, now 3G access is spotty (intermittent) and slow. What should I do next?

Thanks for this post.

no idea. Rooting your phone should have no impact on that.

Android Jr Member David Sevigny's Avatar
    My 2 cents...

1st - thank you for this easy idea. i think, with this info and my skills, i can make this happen. awesome!

2nd - it might just be so convolluted that it doesn't void a warranty...or at least a very reasonable argument to not.

3rd - if any portion of the above text "gave you pause", made you ask yourself "what is linux? whats an apk, adb, etc?" DONT TRY IT!

...ps i love people who can reverse engineer anything. a skill i wish i had. bravo!

Android Jr Member David Sevigny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yar2050 View Post
    This rooting went perfectly from Verizon Froyo 2.21. However, now 3G access is spotty (intermittent) and slow. What should I do next?

Thanks for this post.

the day you posted this i had spotty 3g. i had done nothing. i actually saw for the 1st time the 1x symbol in the notification bar. powered down bout an hour later then back up...and all was fine. go figure.

BTW i am in TN...dont know if that matters.

Here is another update.

To get a root prompt from the adb shell running on your computer:

1. Open terminal emulator on your phone

2. Open adb shell on the computer.

3. In the adb shell type su.

4. Look at your phone, you should see a superuser request message.

5. Accept the massage and you should have root prompt in your adb shell.

I found out that the message only comes through when the terminal emulator is open.

If you have spotty access after rooting or updating, just dial *228 and then select option 2. then just wait a bit. phone will restart on its own. helps to sync with new towers. Also helps with slow service if you travel alot. I do this about once a month on advise from my buddy that works at the corporate office for VZW.

If you have spotty access after rooting or updating, just dial *228 and then select option 2. then just wait a bit. phone will restart on its own. helps to sync with new towers. Also helps with slow service if you travel alot. I do this about once a month on advise from my buddy that works at the corporate office for VZW.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links