LG Ally and Gingerbread

This is a discussion on LG Ally and Gingerbread within the LG Ally Hacking / Development forums, part of the LG Ally category; Hey everyone, I've got an old Ally that I want to experiment on I've read a lot of discussions on rooting, updating to Gingerbread, trying ...

Thread: LG Ally and Gingerbread

Hey everyone,

I've got an old Ally that I want to experiment on

I've read a lot of discussions on rooting, updating to Gingerbread, trying different ROM's, etc.. and every time I read some instructions that sound promising, all I see afterwards are comments about how some aspect of it didn't work.

I'd like to get some opinions on what is the easiest and safest way to get Gingerbread onto the Ally based on the experience of you guys here.

Which ROM is the best?

What is the best guide to follow?

Also, and I hate to even bring this up... but are there any surefire methods to get Flash to work on the Ally?

I've read forums that said it is simply not possible, and to give up the dream. However I've also seen comments from numerous people saying it does work if you know how to set it up.

So, what's true?

Trying to figure all this crap out almost kills the fun of trying to update the phone

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Neither Gingerbread nor Flash are compatible with the Ally but mainly because they were not programmed to work with it. I would stick with Froyo roms until Google releases Ice Cream which is rumored to be compatible with older phones like the Ally. As for Flash, there are a few work arounds, someone mentioned a browser that converts flash to a format that can be viewed on the Ally but until Adobe makes it compatible we aren't getting it.
    Motorola Droid 4

Hey,

I hate to even bring up the subject, because on some other sites people get pissed when people repeatedly ask about Flash on the Ally since they claim it's not possible. Then I read numerous posts from people saying it's working fine on theirs... so it starts to get annoying trying to sort the crap from the truth.

As for Gingerbread, I realize it's not an official update, however again, I've read several ways that you can get the Ally to run Gingerbread or Cyanogen, etc.

So, apparently it can be done, for those who dont mind hacking their phone.

So, I'm looking for some advice on which is the best and safest method to use to get some form of Gingerbread on the Ally.

Since it's apparently possible, surely someone here who knows more than I on the subject, can offer their advice.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Cyanogenmod7 is not in the making any longer. It has been put on a permanent hold. As for Flash, it doesn't work natively. There is an app for ARM6 processors that works, but it's a pain to use Flash once it's installed

Well it's not really that important that I get Gingerbread on the Ally. Or even Flash for that matter.... but I want to try something different with it.

I've never tried rooting or flashing ROM's before on any device, so I thought the Ally was a good phone to start experimenting on since it's kind of a crappy device and I won't be that upset if I ruin it.

So, anyone got any opinons on what the best ROM for the Ally is?

Or if the Verizon 2.2.2 Android version is the best one to run, what tools does everyone use to root it, optimize it, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by dezzo View Post
    Well it's not really that important that I get Gingerbread on the Ally. Or even Flash for that matter.... but I want to try something different with it.

I've never tried rooting or flashing ROM's before on any device, so I thought the Ally was a good phone to start experimenting on since it's kind of a crappy device and I won't be that upset if I ruin it.

So, anyone got any opinons on what the best ROM for the Ally is?

Or if the Verizon 2.2.2 Android version is the best one to run, what tools does everyone use to root it, optimize it, etc?

There isn't a "best ROM" for the Ally. As for 2.2.2, it's nothing. You can follow the LGNPST V6 downgrade guide on Android Forums to downgrade, then run the Froyo.bat in the Froyolitewin.zip to select either Velocity 1.0 or stock 2.2.1, then just flash whatever ROM you want

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    Of course there's debate for best Ally ROM. Velocity, StormDroid, Frunisher, etc.

Twitter
    @milkmac9
    This phone is easy to flash too. Which is why I like it so much... and its pretty smooth when you install velocity 1.2.2 (beta)
    Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX - Droid X2

Twitter
    gagamonstar
    Hey this is both CM7 and ... not gingerbread (but thats only for tablets) Project Gretel: CM7 for LG Ally - Android Forums

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links