Battery Help

This is a discussion on Battery Help within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Originally Posted by barrynew1 I am new to this forum. I have had my LG Ally for about 2 months and love it . . ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Battery Help

Quote Originally Posted by barrynew1 View Post
    I am new to this forum. I have had my LG Ally for about 2 months and love it . . . except that the battery drains quickly during the day with very low use. I followed the instructions on the thread and identified that the Maps application is eating 97% of my battery useage. Can anyone tell me how can I turn it off?

Go to Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/(Select Maps)/Force Stop. The free Advanced Task Killer will let you kill it automatically (you need to download it and set it up). You can also shut off GPS using the Power Control Widget (press and hold somewhere on the desktop to get to the widgets and install it).

I have a dumb question that hopefully hasn't been answered yet (but probably has)....my workplace has terrible reception. If my phone is searching for a signal for 8.5 hours per day, would that drain my battery quickly? I can unplug my phone in the morning and it has to be plugged back in at least by the time I get back home. WiFi and GPS are off and no Pandora during the day.

Sorry if someone has already answered this

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    I'm not 100% sure about that. I believe I have heard that hunting for a signal all day certainly will take up some battery power, but not sure how true that is. If you can't really count on getting good reception at work anyway, you might want to experiment one day leaving your phone in airplane mode all day (assuming people will have another way of reaching you), and see if you have more battery left at the end of the day.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

Thanks BMB....that is my next step to figure out why my battery is draining so fast during the day. Just turned it to airplane mode at 7:48am Central time and it was at 86%. This after taking it off the charger at 6:25am Central time and making one phone call, checking one e-mail and playing my turn at WordFeud (Scrabble) .

Okay...I guess I didn't completely quite understand Airplane mode. I thought it only turned off phone calls, not 3G network. Anyway, I can't go without that during the day so that's a show stopper. But, between 7:48am to 8:58am (1 hr 10 min) I went from 86% to 79% in airplane mode without doing anything except trying to send a text message. Does that seem like a lot of battery loss during that time?

Quote Originally Posted by smartphonenewbie View Post
    Helllo. OK sooo this is my first smart phone ever and im trying to get the hang of it, but it can be so confusing sometimes. I'm glad there is a place like this for questions but anyways to my question, ok so I realize with smart phones the battery is not going to last pretty much no longer than a day. But today my battery drained really quickly and so I looked to see what is draining my battery and "Cell Standby" used about 72% of my battery in a 8 hour period. When you click on it, it says battery used by cell radio. This may be a silly question but what is that exactly, annnd is there a way to change a setting to fix that? Is this what drains most of your battery? Thanks for the help

I just tried the #228 option 2. My standby time was up to 80%. I had lost 11% of battery in one 1 hr 20 mins. The phone was programed and updated. Standby went up a bit. UGGG. Was reading forums and went back to check and it had gone down to 6%. It took about 1/2 hr for this to take place.

I will try to monitor it. I am also using App killer (second time). This morning I took no calls and played one hand of Wordfued to lose the 11% in 1 1/2 hrs.

Hope this helps.

My experience with battery drain.

My Ally would go a full day on a fully charged battery. Then recently it started draining a fully charged battery to shutdown in 4 hours. The back of the phone would get warm when this happened and charging took much longer than usual. The phone is only 3 months old so I figured it has a defective battery.

I went to the local Verizon store where I had purchased the phone and explained the problem. They said they don't warranty batteries but they will sell me one for 30 bucks. Then they gave me the usual BS about needing a task killer bla bla bla. I left there less than impressed with their customer service.

I tried all the "fixes" you can find on line and some helped a little some helped temporarily. But none really fixed it completely. I do have the dreaded 50% bug and the "*#*#4636#*#*" fix helped lower the time without signal to a steady 65% instead of 80 to 100 percent. But my battery continued to die quickly.

Then I remember the IT guy at work telling me I would not be getting e-mail from work until after Christmas because they are working on the servers. When I would go to the e-mail screen I would see "network not available" on top and did not worry about it.

Then I realized the time line for my problem closely corresponded to the time they started working on the servers. So I removed the account from the "accounts & sync settings" page and my problem was solved. I am on 5 hours and still have about 2 hours left on the gage and I started from a half charge.

Just thought I would share my experience with the community. Perhaps it will help someone figure out a permanent solution for all these issues with this phone.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Thank you so much!!! This could be my story word for word.

My phone takes all day to charge. The only way to get a full charge is if I let my phone stay on all night and if I do that then my phone dies quicker. I keep my phone on vibrate but now it's only been on silent, I change the network from 3g to 1x, I killed all apps. I'm always having problems with verizon phones. What's the problem with my phone?

ladyperk, did you just get your phone? Are you using a task killer? What does your Power Widget look like?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links