Notification Sounds Keep Going Away

This is a discussion on Notification Sounds Keep Going Away within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; No, this update included the ability to use your SD Card to store Apps. So, it is a good idea to format your card so ...

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Notification Sounds Keep Going Away

No, this update included the ability to use your SD Card to store Apps. So, it is a good idea to format your card so it is "fresh" and rid of folders and junk from the old Apps' cache files.

There is never a reason to remove your card from the phone unless you are replacing it. By formating your card in the computer, you ruin it for the phone, and vice-versa. They are totally different languages, file structure, etc. If you need to access the SD Card mount the phone to the Computer with the USB cord. This will make your SD Card a virtual disk on the computer. You can use it just like any other removable disk. Also, make sure you Unmount the card before removing the USB cable from the phone or computer. This helps ensure no information on the card is corrupted. If you do remove the card, don't just pull it out. You should go to Settings and Unmount the SD Card "for safe removal."

There will likely be 1 more update. I suspect we will get a "fix" for Froyo for some issues people are having. Then I doubt we get any more updates. For that type of update, I don't think a Factory Reset or SD Card format is necessary. This Froyo update was a big one, though. It totally changed the way the phone uses the SD Card and stores Apps.

I do a factory reset after every update. For me it solves more issues in the long run. As far as reformating the SD Card, I only did that with the upgrade to 2.2 since, as Qasar said, it changed the way the phone uses the SD Card.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    No, this update included the ability to use your SD Card to store Apps. So, it is a good idea to format your card so it is "fresh" and rid of folders and junk from the old Apps' cache files.

There is never a reason to remove your card from the phone unless you are replacing it. By formating your card in the computer, you ruin it for the phone, and vice-versa. They are totally different languages, file structure, etc. If you need to access the SD Card mount the phone to the Computer with the USB cord. This will make your SD Card a virtual disk on the computer. You can use it just like any other removable disk. Also, make sure you Unmount the card before removing the USB cable from the phone or computer. This helps ensure no information on the card is corrupted. If you do remove the card, don't just pull it out. You should go to Settings and Unmount the SD Card "for safe removal."

There will likely be 1 more update. I suspect we will get a "fix" for Froyo for some issues people are having. Then I doubt we get any more updates. For that type of update, I don't think a Factory Reset or SD Card format is necessary. This Froyo update was a big one, though. It totally changed the way the phone uses the SD Card and stores Apps.
    Ok.....I got home, saw this and thought "Great, now I can have my phone working right in a couple hours! YAY!!" I reformatted my card (using unmount, then format), restructured the folders as per your previous post, did a factory reset on my phone (losing a lot of texts because I was so excited that I forgot to back them up), or maybe it was the other way around. Whatever....Guess what?? My default tone is still the only thing playing no matter what I set my messages, email, or app alerts to.....I'm very upset because took the time to do this, lost my texts, and the darn thing still doesn't work.

Next suggestion please.......

Sorry, then I do not know how to help any further. A format in the phone should have wiped the SD Card, corrected it and prepared the card for use in the phone. A handful of others have reported the same frustrations you are having. This has been a known issue on other boards, too, including the LG boards. If you have taken all the steps in the order they are offered, then I have no idea where your problem lies.

If this can be determined to be a hardware problem, you can still get a replacement. Your hardware warranty is 1 year. A VW rep will not be much help IMO, but have you tried to call LG Customer Service to see what they suggest?

I am curious. Before you added the folders and custom files in those folders, did you add any Apps? Where exactly are your sound files on your SD Card?

SD Card/Media/Notifications/? Or SD Card/Notifications/? (Either is supposed to work). What type of sound files are you using? OGG? MP3? WMA? Which method did you use to add these sound files to each folder?

Just an FYI, I had to do 4 factory resets and reformated my sd card a couple of times before it started working correctly.

At this point I would do as Qasar said and take it in to Verizon but other than sending you another phone there isn't much they can do. I've actually heard of reps giving customers advice that they got from this forum.

In cases like this it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact reason for the issues. Even though we all have the same phone, each one will work differently depending on our settings, the apps we downloaded, the service area we are in, etc.

You can also try to use a program from the market to control your sounds. Something like Sound Manager.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    I am curious. Before you added the folders and custom files in those folders, did you add any Apps? Where exactly are your sound files on your SD Card?

SD Card/Media/Notifications/? Or SD Card/Notifications/? (Either is supposed to work). What type of sound files are you using? OGG? MP3? WMA? Which method did you use to add these sound files to each folder?
    The only app I had added was tweetcaster. My files the first time were ..media/notifications, now they are just/notifications. I can still hear them and set them, but only the default tone plays (I can change this & hear diff ones though).The files are all MP3s. I added the files by plugging in my phone and dragging & dropping to the appropriate folder (after I created the new /notification folder).

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Just an FYI, I had to do 4 factory resets and reformated my sd card a couple of times before it started working correctly.......................In cases like this it is very difficult to pinpoint the exact reason for the issues. Even though we all have the same phone, each one will work differently depending on our settings, the apps we downloaded, the service area we are in, etc.

You can also try to use a program from the market to control your sounds. Something like Sound Manager.

Just curious as to why you kept resetting your phone? Were you frustrated like I am? or did you just do it for research purposes? I understand things work different because of settings, but i would think the basic functions would work the same, right? Just curious, how would the service area we are in affect my phone in a situation like this? I don't really like using a lot of apps, but I guess I can try using Sound Manager or something. Thanks for the tip!

This might be good news for you, BigMama!!

Just on a whim I did a Google search for "tweetcaster and sound problems." The first hit was a blogger reviewing the App. The reviewer wrote:
    Unfortunately, they forgot to include the ability to choose the notification *sound*, so I’m stuck with my default ‘DROID’ sound for email, SMS, and Tweetcaster -- not very helpful in determining what the notification is informing me of.

So, maybe your problem is Tweetcaster! This reviewer/blogger isn't even on an Ally. This could be an App problem. The Link.

The third entry from the search was another review (also not on an Ally) which stated:
    It has a good amount of notification and refresh options but I would like to be able to select the notification sound.

I am excited because this is really the first confirmation I have seen of what I suspected all along. An app has distorted your phone's options/features. So, please test how your notification sounds work without Tweetcaster installed and report back!

The 1st time I did the Factory Reset was because I always do one after an update. Normally, this solves more issues than it creates.

But after doing it, reinstalling my fav apps, and moving them to the SD Card, my Ally become very slow. It would take an avg of 12 seconds for the icons on the home screen to show up. So FR #2.

After FR #2, I only reinstalled a couple of apps but soon ran into the same slow response time and the phone started flashing a black screen for no reason. Once it started that, I had to pull the battery. So FR #3.

After FR #3, my battery life went from OK to non existant. It would go from 100% to 40% in under 2 hours. So FR #4.

After FR #4, I also reformatted my SD Card. Battery is inproved, I can unplug my phone at night before I go to bed and still be at 100% 6 hours later when I get up. Lag time has improved, only have a 1-3 second lag now. I still get the flashing screen from time to time but now I can reboot the phone without having to pull the battery.

When you upgrade a computer with windows, Microsoft has pretty much forced standards on the manufacturers. An upgrade normally goes smoothly unless you have out dated hardware. Google has not done this and manufacturers can pretty much do what they want. Upgrades are like rolling dice. If your lucky, you rolled a 7. If not, just roll again.
    Motorola Droid 4

As for the service area, it really doesn't apply to your case. I just added that as an example of something that can cause the same phones to behave differently.

Your service area can affect things like battery life, missed calls or texts, problems sending texts, duplicate texts, etc.
    Motorola Droid 4

Service areas are also affected by tower locality, tower technology and service disruptions from weather, for example.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links