Red blinking light of doom.

This is a discussion on Red blinking light of doom. within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I just got my Ally a week ago. Tonight, as I am at work, I have had it connected to my CPU with the USB ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red blinking light of doom.

I just got my Ally a week ago. Tonight, as I am at work, I have had it connected to my CPU with the USB cable that came along with the phone. I've noticed that if you do not have the phone charging via wall outlet, it won't charge as quickly. That's fine by me, I'm here for 8 hours a day.

Now we've run into an issue. While chatting on eBuddy, the Ally powers down, and I have a red blinking notification light. I check the connections with the USB cable, and it's plugged in properly. I attempted to switch USB ports. No luck. I took the cover off the back of the phone, took the battery out (which took a while) and placed the battery back in. I was hoping that would resolve my issue. Unfortunately, this isn't the case.

The Ally is still plugged into the CPU, and it intermittenly restarts-stays on for about 5 seconds with a 0% battery level- then shuts back off.

I'm unsure if this is a known battery issue, or if this is simply an issue where I shouldn't be using my CPU to charge my battery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Strange. I've been pretty active in the Ally community since the day it came out and I have not heard of anyone experiencing this.

For one thing, yes you are right, the phone will not charge nearly as quickly through a USB connection as it will through a regular wall outlet.

Are you on a desktop or a laptop? I know in many instances on a desktop PC, the front USB ports are meant for quickly connecting cameras, USB sticks, and such, and they do not get a voltage supply as steady and reliable as the USB ports that are directly connected to the motherboard, the ones that you access on the back of your PC tower. Perhaps this would make a difference, although I have plugged my Ally into the frontside ports with no problems.

Have you tried charging it through a wall outlet just to see if you can at least get it to stay powered up? The phone should pretty much never shut off whenever you are charging it, that's just the way they have it set up.

If you can locate a friend or colleague with another Ally, you might want to see if their battery put into your phone works better. Obviously don't plug it back into your PC just in case you recreate the problem, but at least trying another battery will tell you if something happened to the battery, or to the phone itself.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

I would use the wall charger because it allows the phone to pull more amps. A standard USB port allows up to 500 milliamps to be pulled and the wall charger I believe allows up to 1amp to be pulled. It is possible that the phone is pulling more amperage than the USB port can keep up with, thus it will not charge the battery. For these reasons typically it will take a phone longerto charge plugged into the USB port than a wall charger.

Make sure you have all power draining services such as WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS turned off and that no programs are using a lot of CPU when you are charging the phone using USB.

Also, I would check out juicePlotter to get an idea of how your phone is charging/draining when plugged into USB vs. wall charger. It is a great little program to help plot and manage battery usage over time.

On a side note: I was purposely running down my battery one night and the Ally was warm to the touch but not warm enough to cause concern. Then all of the sudden it shut off and the red light was blinking. When I plugged the Ally in to the wall charger the red light continued to blink and the Ally did not come on. So I unplugged the the wall charger slid the keyboard open and placed the Ally on a air conditioning vent. After a few minutes the Ally was cool to the touch and I plugged the phone back into the wall charger. This time the phone normally booted. This instance is the only time I have seen the notification LED flashing red.

The issue did resolve itself, thankfully. I did have it plugged into the front USB ports. It does seem like bennychase had the right idea. The phone did get warm to the touch. I kept it off for about an hour, plugged it into the wall charger, and it has been running normally since then!

mine did the exact same thing but while it was plugged into the wall. my phone seems to only charge quickly while plugged into a car charger

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferthein View Post
    mine did the exact same thing but while it was plugged into the wall. my phone seems to only charge quickly while plugged into a car charger
    I've noticed on rare occasions that my Ally doesn't charge from the USB Ports. To check, when you plug the USB cable into the Ally to charge, watch the Little Battery icon in the upper right of the screen and make sure the animation is showing the battery charging.... If not unplug it from the USB port and plug it into another port. Avoid using USB Hubs by plugging into the computer's USB Port it's self. If you happen to have an older machine that doesn't support USB 2.0, then I don't think it will charge.

Only once did I find the Ally getting "Really" Warm so I unplugged it and let it cool and plugged it back in... I think the Charging circuit just got confused..

I noticed the issue comes back about once a week. Usually it happens while I don't have an absolute need for using the phone... Except now. I went to bed and had the phone plugged in to the wall charger. I after about two hours I got woken up by the phone restarting. You know how it makes that melody when the Verizon logo pops up.. It kept waking me up, and then I realized the same problem was going on.

Since this happened before, I took the battery out, let it cool down, then retry. No changes this time.

I contacted Verizon about this, and they sent me a new phone charger. Yeah, I was just using that phone charger they sent me when it decided to misbehave. I really wish they had better tech support. Next time i call, I should ask to speak with level two support right away.

Hi all, scroll back up a little and read benny's helpful posting among the others.

Now,....A flashing red light usually indicates a dangerous situation or immediate problem. In the case of the Ally, it indicates an overheating condition.

If the phone does not cool down pretty soon, the thermistor (a safety feature) will override everything and shut the phone off. When the phone cools back down, it should work just fine.

If the phone is heating quickly, like sitting in the sun on a dashboard, it might not even flash the LED to warn you. The thermistor thinks that's enough, and shuts the phone down.

Hi. My wife's Ally is doing the same thing. I was at first hopeful once I found this problem documented, but hers has not come back. I think the battery is dead and since it won't take a charge, I can't get it to power on, even with a hard reset. I tried the vol up + home + power button to no avail. Is there some special way to press the keys? Simultaneously or in an order? And hold for how long. I think I've tried every combo.

I tried cooling it. Took the battery out a couple of times. How long should I leave it out?

Is it possible it's another problem entirely? Or possible that the battery is really dead?

I didn't get the insurance on the phone, but it's only been slightly more than 2 months. It's Verizon. Should we be covered if we take it into the store tomorrow?

Is there some magical thing they can do or will they just replace it?

I was surprised not to see a little hard reset button in it.

Thanks for any and all thoughts / advice. Much appreciated.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by suleske View Post
    Hi. My wife's Ally is doing the same thing. I was at first hopeful once I found this problem documented, but hers has not come back. I think the battery is dead and since it won't take a charge, I can't get it to power on, even with a hard reset. I tried the vol up + home + power button to no avail. Is there some special way to press the keys? Simultaneously or in an order? And hold for how long. I think I've tried every combo.

I tried cooling it. Took the battery out a couple of times. How long should I leave it out?

Is it possible it's another problem entirely? Or possible that the battery is really dead?

I didn't get the insurance on the phone, but it's only been slightly more than 2 months. It's Verizon. Should we be covered if we take it into the store tomorrow?

Is there some magical thing they can do or will they just replace it?

I was surprised not to see a little hard reset button in it.

Thanks for any and all thoughts / advice. Much appreciated.

Chris

There should be a one year warranty on the phone meaning you can return the phone for defects. Insurance covers things like dropping the phone in the toilet, forgetting you set it on the roof of your car and then you run over it, etc. If you take it in to a Verizon owned shop, they should be able to troubleshoot it to see if there is a problem. If there is, they will just replace the phone however if you ordered it on-line, they will not give you one at the store but have one delivered to you without a battery or back cover. Hmm, which means you would have to use the same battery. I would make sure that they test the battery too. I am not sure if the battery is included in the warranty.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads