Randomly shuts down/restarts

This is a discussion on Randomly shuts down/restarts within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Originally Posted by rbw After activating up the new phone, setting it up and adding the applications that I want, it is behaving exactly like ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Randomly shuts down/restarts

  1. #11
    Android Lurker jeb_hoge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by rbw View Post
    After activating up the new phone, setting it up and adding the applications that I want, it is behaving exactly like the old phone- random restarts.



    The applications that I use are pretty vanillla- LauncherPro, K-9 mail, Handcent, Google Finance, YouMail, OpenTable and some others. I also have tried uninstalling pretty much all of them (except K-9 mail), changing sync settings and taken other steps to see I can't diagnose the issue. The short answer is that none of those procedures have stopped the random restart problem.



    Not sure what the right next step should be. I like the Ally when it works; I don't know how to get VZW's attention to focus resources on this problem.



    Did read one poster's comment on Amazon on July 25th that the YouMail app might be responsible; have uninstalled it in hopes that they're right.


    You're running more than one third-party email app? That alone could be causing it.

  2. #12
    rbw
    rbw is offline
    Android Lurker rbw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by @jeb_hoge View Post
    You're running more than one third-party email app? That alone could be causing it.


    Not sure that I am; the only email app (3rd party or otherwise) running on the phone is K-9. Handcent handles SMS, not email, and I'm not using either the native mail app or the gmail app.



    And, sadly, uninstalling YouMail did not stop the behavior.






  3. #13
    Android Lurker treacych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rbw View Post
    After activating up the new phone, setting it up and adding the applications that I want, it is behaving exactly like the old phone- random restarts.



    The applications that I use are pretty vanillla- LauncherPro, K-9 mail, Handcent, Google Finance, YouMail, OpenTable and some others. I also have tried uninstalling pretty much all of them (except K-9 mail), changing sync settings and taken other steps to see I can't diagnose the issue. The short answer is that none of those procedures have stopped the random restart problem.



    Not sure what the right next step should be. I like the Ally when it works; I don't know how to get VZW's attention to focus resources on this problem.



    Did read one poster's comment on Amazon on July 25th that the YouMail app might be responsible; have uninstalled it in hopes that they're right.


    Figured it out! It IS because of YouMail. YouMail and TaskKiller were the first two apps the Verizon rep installed for me when I got my phone Monday; he did the same thing again yesterday when I got my replacement phone. Sure enough, same problem. Then another rep figured out an app might be responsible. I un-installed YouMail and TaskKiller, no problems. I re-installed YouMail this morning to check my VM and right after, it restarted on me! So YouMail is definitely the culprit! Not compatible!





    I really hope that's the solution for you as well. I just downloaded HulloMail as a replacement but haven't gotten to listen to a VM on it yet.



    Let me know what happens with your phone...

  4. #14
    Android Lurker treacych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rbw View Post
    Not sure that I am; the only email app (3rd party or otherwise) running on the phone is K-9. Handcent handles SMS, not email, and I'm not using either the native mail app or the gmail app.



    And, sadly, uninstalling YouMail did not stop the behavior.


    Make sure you do a restart, and maybe let it sit for awhile after uninstalling YouMail.

  5. #15
    rbw
    rbw is offline
    Android Lurker rbw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by treacych View Post
    Make sure you do a restart, and maybe let it sit for awhile after uninstalling YouMail.


    Many thanks. Didn't restart the phone after uninstalling YouMail; maybe that's the difference. But given what you wrote in the first part of your post, I think I will ttry something else first: I've had two task killers/system info apps on the phone, and have uninstalled them both. Want to see if that's helpful.



    If not, then YouMail is next on the list. I like the app, but not enough to put up with this issue.

  6. #16
    Android Lurker nvme90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2
    Nope, uninstalled youmail and my phone still restarted

  7. #17
    rbw
    rbw is offline
    Android Lurker rbw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    11
    With thanks to treacych, and FWIW, my current state of play is this:



    Yesterday evening, I uninstalled Advanced Task Manager (not ATK) and System Panel. Later on, I removed YouMail (replaced it with a bookmark to the YouMail site). The phone charged overnight; I'd guess, looking at the battery usage screen this morning, that it restarted at least once while charging.



    This morning, about three hours ago, I unplugged the phone and so far, it has not restarted.



    I have little doubt that the next restart will be concurrent with hitting the "Add Reply" button below, or within a few minutes of it, but so far, so good.

  8. #18
    Android Lurker treacych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by rbw View Post
    With thanks to treacych, and FWIW, my current state of play is this:



    Yesterday evening, I uninstalled Advanced Task Manager (not ATK) and System Panel. Later on, I removed YouMail (replaced it with a bookmark to the YouMail site). The phone charged overnight; I'd guess, looking at the battery usage screen this morning, that it restarted at least once while charging.



    This morning, about three hours ago, I unplugged the phone and so far, it has not restarted.



    I have little doubt that the next restart will be concurrent with hitting the "Add Reply" button below, or within a few minutes of it, but so far, so good.


    Haha... so far so good? keep my fingers crossed for ya.

  9. #19
    Android Lurker nvme90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by treacych View Post
    Haha... so far so good? keep my fingers crossed for ya.


    Just a update, when i unistalled youmail i did not restart. My phone continued having the rebooting issues until i restarted the phone myself. Since then i have had no problems.

  10. #20
    Android Lurker Tara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by treacych View Post
    I just got my Ally two days ago and I'm already having issues with it randomly shutting itself down and restarting. I haven't downloaded many apps yet and don't know enough about the phone to notice any patterns. Yesterday it shut down a few times during the afternoon and was fine at night. Today its shut down a few times tonight... Anyone hear of this problem?





    Any suggestions would be appreciated!




    I've had that problem among MANY others.

    It shuts and restarts.

    When I try to turn the phone off, it goes off and comes right back on...I can't turn it off and leave it off without removing the battery.

    When I first received it, I was getting some texts and not others. It would tell me I had a message from my boyfriend but then I couldn't find the message. When I called Verizon about it, they had somehow changed my account to be my bf's so they wouldn't talk to me without getting his permission. He's an authorized user on my account as one of my lines is his but I am the account owner. It's my SS# on the account and when I first opened it, I was the only one on it with just one line. I've since added my sister and my bf. The way they had it set up was my SS# and his name and address. Bills would go to him but if he didn't pay, it would've gone on my credit report. Very scary that they let this happen. Now I have to keep checking both of our credit reports and scores. Anyway, they did a hard reset and now I seem to be getting all of my messages. We'll see.

    The phone freezes all the time. I try to make calls and sometimes it takes 15-20 seconds before doing anything. Sometimes I have to remove the battery to get anywhere. This is the most frustrating phone I've ever had and I've always been very happy with LG in the past. It's a shame. I have called a million times and I had a woman who was super-helpful but I guess she got fed up. I really was very polite with her. She was one of the few people there who would actually help me and wasn't rude so I was very grateful. I was trying to get the phone replaced because of all these problems and I went to a store where the manager didn't care that I wasn't happy with it. He just looked at me when I said I didn't like the phone and I had only had it a week but apparently taking returns goes against their commission or their store's numbers so they don't like to do it. (I had gotten my phone through an online order...not a store.) I had looked in a different store before I ordered online and since the phone I had was broken and the Ally wasn't being released for a few days, I suggested I get something else and when the Ally was available, I'd exchange ( and pay the $35 restocking fee). The kid who was "helping me" actually told me that he wouldn't sell me the phone because they're on commission and that would go against him. Last time I checked, it was VERIZON's return policy...not that of the salesperson I got stuck with but after that comment, I wouldn't have bought anything from him so I left and ordered online. I just had to wait for the release...which was pushed out and I wasn't notified. This entire experience has been a nightmare but most infuriating is that the stupid phone doesn't work properly and nobody at Verizon has any interest in fixing the problem.

    The instruction manual barely gave any information. Usually, manuals are lengthy and give idiot instructions. With this high-tech phone, they saw fit to not give directions. Makes sense.

    I can't send video that I've taped. I finally found online directions to move pictures from the phone to my computer via USB cord but it's not allowing me to move my video files. Anyone know how to do this??



    OH - BEST PART...I don't know if you guys noticed but if you bought the phone at release, it was $99.99 with a 2 year contract. In less than a month from the release date, it was already down to $49.99 AND was BUY ONE, GET ONE!!!!!!!! Essentially it was 1/4 the price I paid in under a month. Ridiculous but I have to think it's because they realized it wasn't a good quality phone. I know princes always go down but it's not usually that fast. I've been a loyal customer. They canceled the program they had to reward loyalty and they are rude and don't offer quality customer service. I'm very disappointed!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

android intuition cycles off and on
,
android phone keeps shutting down
,
lg android keeps shutting itself off
,
lg g4 restarting on its own
,

lg intuition keeps rebooting

,
lg intuition keeps rebooting by itself
,
lg intuition powers on and off by itself
,
lg intuition randomly turning off and on
,
lg intuition vs950 reboots randomly
,
lg-vs950 keeps turns off
,
lgvs950 keep restarting
,
myandroid keeps shutting down and restarting
,
verizon lg-vs950 powers off
,

why does my lg g3 keep restarting itself

,
why does my lg g4 keep restarting itself
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.
Android Forum