Randomly shuts down/restarts

This is a discussion on Randomly shuts down/restarts within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Originally Posted by Tara OH - BEST PART...I don't know if you guys noticed but if you bought the phone at release, it was .99 ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randomly shuts down/restarts

Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    OH - BEST PART...I don't know if you guys noticed but if you bought the phone at release, it was .99 with a 2 year contract. In less than a month from the release date, it was already down to .99 AND was BUY ONE, GET ONE!!!!!!!! Essentially it was 1/4 the price I paid in under a month. Ridiculous but I have to think it's because they realized it wasn't a good quality phone. I know princes always go down but it's not usually that fast. I've been a loyal customer. They canceled the program they had to reward loyalty and they are rude and don't offer quality customer service. I'm very disappointed!

Actually, there is a thread here about the drop in price. If you bought your phone and paid $99, you could have called Verizon and they would have refunded you $50. I am not sure if they would still do it now or not but they did for me and others here on the forum.
    Motorola Droid 4

I like the comment that manuals are lengthy and contain idiot instuctions.....

rbw
    Quote Originally Posted by treacych View Post
    Haha... so far so good? keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Looks like some combination of YouMail and the two systems apps were at fault.

The device has been behaving perfectly (unlike its owner) since yesterday, and a unintended benefit seems to be much better battery life.

I'm comfortable with using a bookmark to YouMail's site instead of the Android app; given much improved battery performance, I can't say that I miss the system utilties very much.

Many thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by tara
    (I had gotten my phone through an online order...not a store.) I had looked in a different store before I ordered online and since the phone I had was broken and the Ally wasn't being released for a few days, I suggested I get something else and when the Ally was available, I'd exchange ( and pay the restocking fee). The kid who was "helping me" actually told me that he wouldn't sell me the phone because they're on commission and that would go against him. Last time I checked, it was VERIZON's return policy...not that of the salesperson I got stuck with but after that comment, I wouldn't have bought anything from him so I left and ordered online.

Tara- Not a happy story, and no happy ending so far. I'd only offer you two constructive suggestions:

First, given the issues described by me and others in this thread, you might want to try a hard reset of the phone, erasing all of your user data (except what's on the SD card) and restoring it to its Day One state. Then consider carefully which apps you want to install. It's a nuisance to recreate email accounts and everything else, but it might be a way to restore the functionality of the phone.

Second, you might want to find a Verizon-owned store (not an authorized retailer) and bring it to their tech area. I bought my Ally from a third-party retailer, and the VZW stores were perfectly happy to try to assist (and replace, albeit misguidedly) with no static about where I purchased the device.

Quote Originally Posted by rbw View Post
    Looks like some combination of YouMail and the two systems apps were at fault.

The device has been behaving perfectly (unlike its owner) since yesterday, and a unintended benefit seems to be much better battery life.

I'm comfortable with using a bookmark to YouMail's site instead of the Android app; given much improved battery performance, I can't say that I miss the system utilties very much.

Many thanks to all.

Tara- Not a happy story, and no happy ending so far. I'd only offer you two constructive suggestions:

First, given the issues described by me and others in this thread, you might want to try a hard reset of the phone, erasing all of your user data (except what's on the SD card) and restoring it to its Day One state. Then consider carefully which apps you want to install. It's a nuisance to recreate email accounts and everything else, but it might be a way to restore the functionality of the phone.

Second, you might want to find a Verizon-owned store (not an authorized retailer) and bring it to their tech area. I bought my Ally from a third-party retailer, and the VZW stores were perfectly happy to try to assist (and replace, albeit misguidedly) with no static about where I purchased the device.

I can't help but think that a lot of the restart issues are coming from app conflicts like mentioned above. Mine has been almost perfectly rock-solid, excepting the navigation restart that I think I've traced to the sync functionality. Incidentally, Gmail is my only email client, the native calendar (tied to Google) is my only calendar, I use the native music app, native camera, etc. It may just be coincidence but it's worked for me.

Also, I agree, try your hardest to stay away from "authorized retailers"! If I can't do it online through My Verizon, I go to a Verizon-run store and am usually in and out in 10 minutes.

rbw
    The biggest issue facing Android and Google today is fragmentation- as device manufacturers tweak Android to fit their hardware or their marketing needs, the likelihood that applications will run on one device but not another increases. Unanticipated conflict between applications is clear evidence of the damage caused by fragementation.

Until Google puts its foot down and prohibits manufacturer tampering with the Android OS, the problem will exist. And its main effect on those of us with Android devices is that we won't have the certainty that fruit-oriented devices have with respect to software performance and behavior. And, developers will shy away from Android apps, since they don't want to sign up for either (i) custom versions of their application for different Android devices or (ii) customer complaints based on specific hardware, not on software.

One way to avoid the issue is to solely use the applications that came with the device. But, that negates the main reason for purchasing a device like Ally or Droid, which is to have the flexibility to use different applications that may provide better functionality than the OE apps.

My $0.02.

Good comment rbw, especially your last thoughts. And not so much that different apps improve on the OEM installed ones, but also the ability to customize your phone exactly the way you'd like to. Over 65,000 apps available on the Droid market now, with everything from must haves to silly stuff insuring something for everyone.

Quick note folks, you'll be better off dealing with a real Verizon store, than an authorized dealer.

But if those other apps cause your phone to fail repeatedly, how much value do you really gain from them?

Wow Tara, I thought this was an Ally forum, not a bash Verizon forum. Gees. I too am having the restart issues but I agree with an earlier post, I believe my issue iss rooted in the Youmail app. This is my second Ally and it has been absolutely solid for a week. No restarts at all, until today. I installed a couple apps today one of them being youmail. Gonna axe it, reboot and see what happens. Ill let you guys know. Fingers crossed.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    I've never even heard of youmail. Good for me I guess. ;-)

I hear ya JH,...that's something we all have to deal with. Of the thousands of apps available for the Android, we are learning that some are not Ally friendly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links