Randomly shuts down/restarts

This is a discussion on Randomly shuts down/restarts within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I just got my Ally two days ago and I'm already having issues with it randomly shutting itself down and restarting. I haven't downloaded many ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Randomly shuts down/restarts

Smile

I just got my Ally two days ago and I'm already having issues with it randomly shutting itself down and restarting. I haven't downloaded many apps yet and don't know enough about the phone to notice any patterns. Yesterday it shut down a few times during the afternoon and was fine at night. Today its shut down a few times tonight... Anyone hear of this problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by treacych View Post
    I just got my Ally two days ago and I'm already having issues with it randomly shutting itself down and restarting. I haven't downloaded many apps yet and don't know enough about the phone to notice any patterns. Yesterday it shut down a few times during the afternoon and was fine at night. Today its shut down a few times tonight... Anyone hear of this problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    My Ally does it about 10 times a day, usually when texting or emailing. First it freezes up, then it restarts. I called Verizon today and they said they have never heard of the issue, but I have looked on a bunch of different websites and read reviews for this phone and it appears about half of them are having the same problem. I am going to send mine back for a replacement in hopes of getting one that doesn't bug out on me.

Good luck to you,

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    Ordered my Ally on release day and maybe once or twice since then my phone has rebooted, almost always while I'm using the navigation app for driving directions. 2 times in a few months isn't a lot though compared to what you are experiencing. I would try to exchange it.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

rbw
    Have a similar issue, tried to cure it by deleting apps, shutting down services and some other steps- no joy.

I was going to try a hard reset (the nuclear option), but decided to bring the phone to Verizon first. They played with it for ten minutes or so, and then authorized a replacement. Not thrilled that the replacement is "Certified Pre-Owned" in exchange for a new phone that was in service for less than five weeks.

Will do the transfer sometime this weekend; am hopeful that the new handset will not show the same behavior.

Thanks for the replies everyone... glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. The Verizon rep I bought it from suggested taking the battery out for awhile (did that, didn't help) and calling *228, then pressing option 2, which resets something.... that didn't help either. Therefore, I'll be taking the phone in tonight. They better not try to give me a "pre-owned" phone too or I'll just return the darn thing - its only been 3 days!

Good luck to you all with your Allys! Will post any other possible fixes that I find out about tonight.

rbw
    Hope it goes well, too.

The thing that troubles me about this is that, in general, things digital either work or they don't. Given the functionality of my Ally apart from the random restarts, I am skeptical that there's some issue specific to my (and your) hardware. I'm more inclined to believe that there's some combination of software and usage that is causing the issue. I would guess, however, that VZW doesn't want to take the time to correctly troubleshoot the issue, but rather, is content to replace the phone (with, likely, a customer return that has been wiped clean), and then wipe my phone clean for someone else. And I get the privilege of setting up my email accounts again, configuring other settings and otherwise spending a bunch of hours just getting back to the same place.

And if I'm right, then the replacement phone is just as likely to display the same symptoms, once it's configured the way I want it. And I'll get to go through the same drill again.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    Ordered my Ally on release day and maybe once or twice since then my phone has rebooted, almost always while I'm using the navigation app for driving directions. 2 times in a few months isn't a lot though compared to what you are experiencing. I would try to exchange it.

Next time you're using nav for driving directions, try turning off sync using the power widget first. I'm pretty convinced that mine reboots during nav because of something that the sync function does; if I run nav without sync active, it seems to be flawless.

Yea unfortunately you may be right, otherwise, how do some companies keep from loosing tons of money?

I went in tonight and they did a factory reset for me. So far it hasn't restarted on me but the night is young! Lol

please let me know if that helps. that is what I was told to do but other people i have heard from said it only worked until they started downloading apps and then it all started back up again. Unless the tech guy downloaded something in the store for me, mine was doing it before I downloaded apps. I only owned it about an hour when it first started. App killer has helped some. Now it only freezes 3-4 times a day and it is whether I am using it or not.

rbw
    After activating up the new phone, setting it up and adding the applications that I want, it is behaving exactly like the old phone- random restarts.

The applications that I use are pretty vanillla- LauncherPro, K-9 mail, Handcent, Google Finance, YouMail, OpenTable and some others. I also have tried uninstalling pretty much all of them (except K-9 mail), changing sync settings and taken other steps to see I can't diagnose the issue. The short answer is that none of those procedures have stopped the random restart problem.

Not sure what the right next step should be. I like the Ally when it works; I don't know how to get VZW's attention to focus resources on this problem.

Did read one poster's comment on Amazon on July 25th that the YouMail app might be responsible; have uninstalled it in hopes that they're right.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links