Lost All Contacts After Factory Reset

This is a discussion on Lost All Contacts After Factory Reset within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Hi. My friend was having many problems with her ally so she went to Verizon and they did a factory reset. When she got the ...

Thread: Lost All Contacts After Factory Reset

Lost All Contacts After Factory Reset

Hi. My friend was having many problems with her ally so she went to Verizon and they did a factory reset. When she got the phone back, backup assistant was already installed on the phone. She tried to log into it with her pin and it would not accept it. She tried getting a new pin and it still would not accept it. She synced up her gmail and still no contacts. Does anyone know what she should do? Why can she not get backup assistant working?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Did you check online via computer to see that the contacts are still in Google Contacts? If they are there you can export them using More Actions. However, it surely sucks that it is not automatic. Are you sure the contacts are not filtered out? You can choose to see particular groups, or not see names that have no phone numbers, for example. Perhaps her Gmail contacts only have E-mail addresses and the "Show only contacts with numbers" option is checked??

IMO Back-up Assistant is a waste of space. I would perform another factory reset and re-log into the appropriate Google Account (assuming her contacts are there). Then sync and never use Back-up Assistant again.

Good luck!

Q

Quote Originally Posted by nicolett80 View Post
    Hi. My friend was having many problems with her ally so she went to Verizon and they did a factory reset. When she got the phone back, backup assistant was already installed on the phone. She tried to log into it with her pin and it would not accept it. She tried getting a new pin and it still would not accept it. She synced up her gmail and still no contacts. Does anyone know what she should do? Why can she not get backup assistant working?

I agree with Qasar... But I have had success with Backup Assistant, it's saved my butt a couple of times, but I guess that was before the Ally, and the Google services... However, I have also seen the problem you are seeing with not being able to login to your Backup Asstant account. I resolved it by reinstalling Backup Assistant, and for whatever reasons, it resolved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LG_Pro View Post
    I agree with Qasar... But I have had success with Backup Assistant, it's saved my butt a couple of times, but I guess that was before the Ally, and the Google services... However, I have also seen the problem you are seeing with not being able to login to your Backup Asstant account. I resolved it by reinstalling Backup Assistant, and for whatever reasons, it resolved the problem.

Thank you both for the help. She tried to uninstall it but for some reason it was not giving her that option Like all other apps. Come to find out, there was an update pending for backup assistant. As soon as she installed the update, she was able to get into backup assistant and got all her contacts.

Wierd thing is that it also synced up her Facebook contacts too, which she did not want. I told her how to un- sync it but she said "do not sync" was what it was already set to in the Facebook settings. So why is it syncing them anyway?

Also wanted to comment on how not helpful Verizon was when she called them about her backup assistant not working. They never told her to try uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I actually was more help to her and I have had this phone as long as her, since July. Sorry, but Verizon really needs to get there stuff together. I have had similar issues with them when I call for help. Basically telling me to just do a factory reset and I'm on my own.

You can't uninstall backup assistant unless you root the phone. You used to be able to when it wasn't a default app but it became a default app when we got the upgrade.
    Motorola Droid 4

Oh OK, gotcha! I thought you could because I had to install it from the market when I got my phone.

I have a similar problem but in my case there is absolutely no doubt that it is Google deleting contacts from my Nexus 4. I do not even want my contacts synchronized or backed up on Google's servers and prefer to use the phone memory (because I use other apps to back up my contacts). The first time Google deleted my contacts from phone I realized that I had only disabled synch for "contacts" but neglected to also do it for "people" so I made sure all of that was disabled before I went and started deleting duplicate contacts from Gmail (that's right, it not only deleted it from the phone it duplicated them there). I then proceeded to restore my android contacts from a .vcf file directly to the phone memory and it worked fine at first. Then, the next day, Google had AGAIN deleted all contacts and again duplicated them on Gmail. The phone has Android 4.3 and is stock other than being rooted. I am hoping to avoid having to delete the google account from the phone altogether. Any ideas?
    Last edited by BrendaHawk; 02-27-2014 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolett80 View Post
    em...My phone also lost messages after factory reset before. This issue about lost data seems common. I used software for data recovery at that time. Maybe you should search for one.

Ads