Task Killer help!

This is a discussion on Task Killer help! within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Ok Im not sure if this has been addressed as I did look but didnt see anything about it. I have installed Task Killer, which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Task Killer help!

Ok Im not sure if this has been addressed as I did look but didnt see anything about it. I have installed Task Killer, which thank God it works! However WHY each time I open up text message or check my calender does 15 programs start running to begin with? Is this a Verizon or an LG issue? Also is there no way to prevent them besides the task killer app? Im beginning to love this phone but this issue is driving me crazy! Its also wearing on my battery! Sometimes without even touching the phone Ill check and sure enough theres running programs again!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The debate goes on, but IMO that is because Task Killers are not needed. Think of it this way, out of sight out of mind. I know I did when I stopped using Advanced Task Killer. I also tried JuiceDefender, Task Killer and another which name I forget right now (of course 1 at a time).

Since removing TKs more than 2 weeks ago, my general phone response has improved, and while I thought my battery was being extended, since I've stopped TKs my battery still seems to have been extended from those first few weeks with only 8-12 hours of juice. I get 17-20 hours of battery power, in general, with which I am happy. You got to sleep sometime...

I did not change lightly. It was after reading a lot about how and why the memory is allocated for the Android OS the way it is. But still I was hesitant because I can understand why Task Killers helped sometimes. Instead, now I use the Task Manager that comes with the app "Linda File Manager" if I really have to end something.

Some will praise Task Killers and good for them. I am just relaying my own experience. "Out of sight, out of mind."

Ok so let me get this straight.......... u mean to say that Im just driving myself nuts and that its NOT draining my battery faster? If thats the case, well, I can live with that! I have just ASSUMED it would kill my battery.......? Ill leave my Task Killer just on case, but if anyone else has found its really not affecting their battery PLEASE let me know! Im new to the whole Droid Smart phone thing so any opinions, thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Thanks again!

Hi bd, you seem concerend about the battery life and performance. Take a few minutes to read this thread, it's a big help,... http://www.lgallyfor...3-battery-help/

Need the charge to last longer? Easy fix my friend. The LG Ally extended life battery,...2200mAh. The OEM battery is 1500mAh.

Not cheap, cost more than the phone. Is it worth it? I ordered one with the Ally and I'm glad I did. Others are ok with the standard battery.

Read this too,... http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/36-ally-batteries/

I would just like to add that there is a difference between applications running in the background and services running in the background and that most people think that they are the same.

An application running in the background does not use up any of the battery since it is pretty much in suspended status. Only when it is brought to the front does it become active again. There are exceptions to this like Pandora which continues to play music even if it is in the background.

Services running in the background do use up battery life. An example of a service is an application trying to sync to an online source, checking for updates, etc.
    Motorola Droid 4

I found one of the articles I used to determine Task Killers are not a good idea. This article describes how programs are managed after Android 2.0. It is meant for Android Developers and basically starts by warning them not to boast their programs as more important than they really need to be because since Android 2.0 the OS will auto-kill programs in the background as the device needs space.

Here is the entire article:

Service API changes starting with Android 2.0

(API = Application Program Interface)

This is an IMPORTANT EXCERPT / the 3rd point lower in the page of the article.

New "running services" user interface

Our final issue to address is the case where there are simply too many services running in the amount of memory available on a device. This may be due to bugs or design flaws in installed applications, or the user simply trying to do too much. Historically users have had no visibility into what is going on at this level in the system, but it has become important to expose this, at least for lower-end devices, as the use of services has had an increasing impact on the user experience.

To help address this, Android 2.0 introduces a new "Running Services" activity available from the Application system settings. When brought up, it looks something like this:

The main content is a list of all running services that may be of interest to the user, organized by the processes they run in. In the example here, we see three services:

• GTalkService is part of the standard Google application suit; it is running in Google's "gapps" process, which currently consumes 6.8MB. It has been started for 3 hours 55 minutes, which on this device is the time from when it was first booted.
    • ActivityService is part of the Phonebook app, and its process consumes 4MB. This also has been running since boot.
    • SoftKeyboard is a third party input method. It has been running since I switched to it, about 4 minutes ago.
    The user can tap on any of these services to control it; for normal services that are running because they were explicitly started, this will present a dialog allowing the user to explicitly stop it:

Some other services, like the input method, are running for other reasons. For these, tapping on the service will go to the corresponding UI to manage it (in this case the system's input settings).

Finally, along the bottom of the screen are some obscure numbers. If you know how to interpret them, this gives you a lot of information on the memory status of your device:

• Avail: 38MB+114MB in 25 says that the device has 38MB of completely free (or likely used for unrequired caches) memory, and has another 114MB of available memory in 25 background processes it can kill at any time.
    • Other: 32MB in 3 says that the device has 32MB of unavailable memory in 3 unkillable processes (that is, processes that are currently considered to be foreground and must be kept running)
    For most users, this new user interface should be a much more effective way to manage the background applications on their device than the existing "task killer" applications. In the vast majority of cases the reason for a slow running device is too many services trying to run. This prevents the system from being able to run any background processes (which speed up app switching), and ultimately can result in thrashing through the services when not even they can all be kept running. The Running Services UI is intended to provide very specific information about the services that are running, to help make a good decision about what should be stopped. It also does not use the API to force stop an application, which can unintentionally break applications in numerous ways.

I hope this information helps you!

Q

So the article states that running services do impact the user experience so they added the Running Services so that a user can manually stop them. In this case a task killer would benefit the user so that they didn't have to constantly check and stop services.
    Motorola Droid 4

True! But the other point was that too much information for "Most Users" is a bad thing, or too much information is bad if the user doesn't understand it.

Take a look at the last line I quoted:

"The Running Services UI is intended to provide very specific information about the services that are running, to help make a good decision about what should be stopped. It also does not use the API to force stop an application, which can unintentionally break applications in numerous ways."

The Running Services UI has helped me optimize my phone without removing any Apps. All I did was experiment with program settings, like in LauncherPro and Jorte, for example. After returning to the RS UI after changing options repeatedly, I went from 14-20MB free to 50-60MB free without removing anything. ...As a matter of fact, it resulted in me having more confidence to add more widgets without suffering bad lag. Not that lag still doesn't happen occasionally, it is just much better!

I actually read that sentence as meaning that it doesn't use API and that API is what would cause the application to break. Depends on how you look at it.

Just as an FYI, I don't use ATK but I do have it installed on my phone. I go into Running Services and kill what I don't want running.
    Motorola Droid 4

"[s]It[/s] [Running Services] also does not use the API to force stop an application, [force stopping an application] [s]which[/s] can unintentionally break applications in numerous ways."

The writer is chiding the use of Task Killers in this quote, and defending the new Running Services UI. Earlier in the paragraph she explicitly wrote:

"... this new user interface should be a much more effective way to manage the background applications on their device than the existing "task killer" applications."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links