Voice Mail Notification

This is a discussion on Voice Mail Notification within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I'm not getting notification for missed calls and voice mail. At least none that I recognize. This is a big deal. Pulling down the notification ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Mail Notification

I'm not getting notification for missed calls and voice mail. At least none that I recognize. This is a big deal. Pulling down the notification screen doesn't show anything, nor is there an icon on the notifications bar for it. I need better notification that I've got new voicemail waiting like I had on my old flip phone. Am I missing something, or is there a widget or something that will do that?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Do you have syncing turned on?
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Do you have syncing turned on?

I don't know. Syncing to what?

Now that I reread your OP, I doubt if this is the solution you needed.

To check that sync is active:

1. Press the menu button.
    2. Touch Settings.
    3. Touch Accounts & Sync.
    4. Auto Sync should be checked.
    You also might want to check the Sound & Display Settings:

1. Press the menu button.
    2. Touch Settings.
    3. Touch Sound & Display.
    4. Make sure that Notification Ringtone is not set to Silent.
    There are other settings too but I can't think of where they are right now.

Motorola Droid 4

I'm not clear what syncing has to do with getting voice mail notifications. Isn't it just a matter of the phone telling me what it already has? If I missed a call, an icon should show up somewhere, probably the notification area. If someone leaves a voicemail message, there should also be some icon or notification. Cell phones have been doing this for years.

I looked at Google Voice, but it didn't make much sense to me. As far as I can tell, it's giving Google access to my voicemail. I'd just as soon leave them out. They have enough information on me as it is.

I downloaded the Missed Call app. It sounds like it should do something like I want, like having the LED flash a certain color. But I couldn't get it to work.

Perhaps my problem is that I want the phone to tell me what I need to know only at the time I want to know it. I don't want it constantly beeping at me every time I get an email. I'd like to be able to turn on the screen, and see at a glance what I need or choose to attend to. It seems to me that sliding down the notification area is the place for this. Then I'd see a list saying I've got unread email, I've missed a call, I've got a voicemail, etc. Even better would be a widget that displays this info on the home screen. Does this not actually exist on my phone?

I'm sure that part of my frustration is learning a new OS without much documentation on how to use it. Perhaps it will make more sense with time. But at the moment I'm missing important calls, etc.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by giametti View Post
    I'm not clear what syncing has to do with getting voice mail notifications.

That is why I said "Now that I reread your OP, I doubt if this is the solution you needed."
    Motorola Droid 4

Seconded! I want my Ally to tell me about missed calls/voicemail. Otherwise, I have to keep checking to see if I missed anything, with is a royal pain. So far, no one seems to be able to help with this. I DON'T want the phone to beep everytime I get an email. Any ideas?

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    This thread is confusing me. The complaint is that the Ally doesn't have any notifications for missed calls and voicemails? Mine certainly does. Icons pop up in the notification bar. It's also not difficult at all to program the phone in any combination... tell it to notify you of calls and voicemails, but no alerts for emails, etc.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

BMB is right. The VM notification looks like old school camera film and always displays for me. You'll see what the icon looks like in the Phone App. It is the first button.

Did you perhaps uncheck the options to display these things in the status bar? Go to each app (messaging, gmail, etc) and make sure your options are optimal (make sure "Display Notifications in the Status Bar" is checked).

There are Widgets for these. I use "SMS Unread Count," which puts a number of unread messages/calls/E-mails over each icon (they are really a widgets). However, you would need to look onto the Home Screens to see this. I think what you really seek is Status Bar settings like mentioned above. Those you can see without unlocking the phone.

Ok, now I am having this problem. Only with Voicemail though. I haven't seen a voicemail notification in weeks. So today I checked my voicemail, because it seemed very odd, and my voicemail was full! But my phone never notified me of any new voicemails. How can this be? I looked thru all settings and don't see anything to fix this. Syncing is on, everything is checked that is supposed to be. Can someone help me with this?

I don't know why these things happen to me! Lol. I am one of the people that couldn't get rid of their voicemail notification back in August! I had to do a factory reset to fix that. And it did. But now I am not getting them at all. I do get all notifications for everything else. Just voicemail is not working. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads