My personal issues and requests for help on the Ally
This is a discussion on My personal issues and requests for help on the Ally within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Hello again,
I just posted a full review of how I find this phone to be.
It came to me if I was able to ...
I just posted a full review of how I find this phone to be.
It came to me if I was able to make a thread to air my grievances with it, perhaps I could get some of the issues sorted out and inform others who are having the problem as well or open people to look at it as the problems can be remedied. Some of these might be easy fixes or just not possible but I'd like feed back even if it's bad news.
To save everyone my normal long winded posts I'll bullet point this.
1) : It should be rooted to start. I find many of my issues with this phone would be remedied with full user functions of the phone.
I'm quite aware it could be (in my mind should be) and that's an easy enough fix.
2) : Battery life seems quite poor, plugged in it can still drain faster then it charges, that's absurd in my mind.
3) : it's pretty darn warm on even basic voice calls. I have a case on it but I still feel it's warm to the touch, it unnerves me and I don't like that.
4) : You have to slide the phone to pick up calls
5) : I can not figure how to remove many extra things like spare ring tones wall paper and the such
6) : reaching the top bar with the notifications (usb connection, email etc) is nearly impossible with my hands is there a way to do it from the key board?
7) : the little cover for the USB port is cheap and rubbish, mines almost broken off already.
8) : doing any calls to centers where you have to type a number in during a call is insanely difficult for me
9) : The home has 5 pages, I barely use 3 but can't get rid of the extras.
10) : The phone only comes with 2 languages, odd habit of mine I like to keep them in German incase of a theft. (could I remove spanish and swap to german?)
But that's a top ten and well, really only the ten problems I've seen so far out of this phone.
If anyone can provide advice tips or even witty banter to amuse me it would be greatly helpful in making this thing useful to me.
Android.net is the premier Android Forum
. Registered users do not see these ads. .
Hi cranky,..err..none. This wont be helpful with the phone, but perhaps it will amuse you.
#10,...awhile back I read somewhere that a guy put the phone he had in Spanish mode...(if you will) because he was just learning Spanish and thought it might help.
If someone stole your German edition Ally, do you think they could figure out how to go to settings and change it back to English?
If your phone ever is stolen, as soon as you can, call Verizon and let them know. Be certain that it actually got stolen, because they will disconnect that phone from the network, and "blacklist" it so it cannot be re-activated. The stolen phone is rendered almost useless in just a few minutes. Now, I know hackers can re-activate a phone, even change networks, but that's what Verizon does.
Yes that does amuse me, I'm not just cranky but also rather paranoid. It's one of those things for me growing up bi lingual (and picking up a 3rd down the line) my first two tongues I can switch at will and don't have to "process" it. So setting a phone to German is just as easy to read as English. I don't know if it would be hard for them to set back or figure out, but it's a peace of mind to me. Plus lend someone your phone and a smile is going to be on your face in a minute.
Thanks for the information on theft. I don't really seeing it happening but better to know than not!
Notifications can be achieved by touching menu, then touching notifications. This and almost everything else is addressed in the manual or here on the boards.
Android Jr Member
1) If not Rooted at least make it a little easier... This is, currently, a normal procedure for Android Phone providers, I'd prefer it this way to protect users from themselves... Experienced users will always find a way to get to the hidden features.
Originally Posted by none
2) A: Check some of the threads on Conserving battery life with Android... It's not going to equal the battery life of a "Feature Phone", but yes it could be better.
B: This is NOT normal... If the phone is discharging faster than it charges, check to see what Applications and Services are running... I've only seen this happen when I was charging from the USB Port (Which is much slower than the Wall Charger) and had several Services running while I was pounding on WiFi .
3) If the Ally is getting that warm, again this is not normal. The over heating combined with what you are saying about charging might indicate a bad phone. Check the threads on Battery conservation and if everything looks like you are avoiding some of the pitfalls, I'd definitely contact your dealer.
4) No, You can just push the Answer button and it will pick up your call.
5) Yeah, that's another reason for having Root Access... But again, it's not something I want every user to be able to do... I pick up the pieces when they break it :-)
6) Yeah, personally I have Fat fingers, so for me it was a little bit of a trick to figure out the best way. I currently touch just above the screen and then drag downward... Sometimes a little Pause is needed.
7) Wow, I have over 40 phones here all with that style of Port Cover and I have never had a problem with any of them... The Droid-X doesn't have a cover, so I think I prefer the Ally's to the Droid-X, plus if it does break, it will probably be okay unprotected. At least Motorola thinks so. :-)
8) I'd like to know more details, but I suspect it has to do with the "Proximity Sensor" in the Upper right just above the screen. It detects when your face is near the phone to turn off the back light and I sometimes get my right hand too close to it while entering Numbers and it will dim... Frustrating! But now I am able to avoid it and I havent had any issues.
9) I rarely us 5 screens as well... I think some of the Custom "Home" Themes have adjustable number of home screens.
10) When the Ally is Rooted and Custom ROMS start flowing, possibly one will be released that will allow you to modularize the Languages to add and subtract as needed.
For my 2 cents worth... Good Comments.
I use all 5 of my screens and even have to have folders to help sort the apps I have downloaded. I wish I had more screens but not enough to want to install another home launcher.
I've started using ADW Launcher and like it a lot. I have it set for seven screens and currently have five full and spilling onto number six. It does seem to be much smoother than the Android home.
Android Sr Member
Hey None, I'll take a swing at a couple of your bullet points...
Nos. 2 & 3: Only once have I noticed that my phone was actually using juice faster than the charger could supply it: I was driving, charging from the car adapter and running Google Navigation. I swear the charge was down by the end of the trip, but only by a percentage point. However, charging and heavy usage will make the back of the phone -- the battery cover and battery area -- warm to the touch. Sometimes, actually, pretty darn warm, in my experience. However, the Ally does have an automatic switch that shuts down the phone if it becomes too warm, so I wouldn't worry unless this happens to you frequently.
4: There are a couple of way to answer calls. I always swipe the slide the appropriate (answer or hide) button on the touch screen.
6: The notifications bar has caused me some frustration as well. As noted above, you can access the notifications by pressing the hard menu key on the front bottom of the phone.
7: In my humble opinion, the little, rubber gate on the USB port is about as useless as teats on a boar hog, as my father used to say. I have short fingernails and always have a problem opening it. In fact, this is the third consecutive phone I've owned (following two messaging phones, one by Samsung and one by LG) where that little gate has just mysteriously disappeared! ;-) Based on LG Pro's answer above, Motorola doesn't think the gate is necessary, and based on personal experience, neither does HTC. Frankly, even a mini-USB port should be sturdy enough to go through life without the protective gate, just don't go sticking small, sharp objects in it!
8: That's a bug with what a Verizon tech identified as the "in-service" dial screen. It's an Ally bug pure and simple -- and I could see where that could be a deal-breaker. Hopefully, LG will push down a fix for it. I believe it has been verified as a bug by Verizon.
10: The idea of switching to a language other than English as a security measure is a pretty impressive solution to a problem that has concerned me for some time now: phone security. My phone has replaced my bachelor's traditional "little black book," and as such, I don't want the info in my phone readily available to unauthorized -- and often, jealous -- eyes. However, until you can load German on your Ally, you might want to check out the pattern lock under Location & Security in Settings. You can set a swipe pattern that has to be accurately reproduced to unlock the phone. As an aside, an incoming call bypasses the pattern lock and can be answered normally; when the call is done, the pattern lock appears on the screen and you can either unlock the phone or put it back to sleep. I think it's high time phones started offering some kind of security. As another aside, I have an extra level of security on my photos (see the bachelor thing, above). I found an app in the Marketplace called Photo Vault (I think I paid a buck for it) that gives you the option to hide photos in such a way that they can't be seen in the regular gallery, and can be accessed only by password. It's a very cool security app, and, obviously, I'm into phone security.
Search tags for this page
add the slide lock bar to an lg ally
app that helps with personal problems
directions on loading slide lock on lg ally phone
how do i turn lg ally slide lock
how to get rid of the extra home screens on the lg ally
lg alley slide lock gone
lg ally sleep mode
lg ally slide bar disappeared
lg ally slide feature gone - how to retrieve
lg ally slide lock disappeared
lg pattern lock
make my droid ally faster
my ally phone slide lock has disappeared
settings to hide number on android lg ally
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.