Multiple issues (Is my phone a dud?)

This is a discussion on Multiple issues (Is my phone a dud?) within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Ok so I have a running list of issues with my LG Ally and it is starting to be a nuisance for me to even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple issues (Is my phone a dud?)

Ok so I have a running list of issues with my LG Ally and it is starting to be a nuisance for me to even perform the simplest of tasks. First of all there is an issue where the phone (after staying on for atleast four hours or so) will override key functions when using the qwerty board, such as pressing an E while texting will open the email app, Y brings up youtube and so on and so forth. It is obvious to me that there is some sort of hotkeying going on but I can't see why it would start doing this will texting someone an SMS. Next comes a random blackout of the screen which can occur while still leaving the rest of the phone on, mainly the capacitive buttons stay dimly lit which tells me the phone is still technically on, what's going on with the screen I couldn't tell though. I do have a taskkiller that I use frequently and it doesn't fix the keyboard issue. can anyone decipher what the issue is here? the thought of viruses being able to leech onto my phone did come to mind but I don't want to think thats possible... I'd rather the phone be a dud. (but not really)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    The issues you're having aren't nearly as big of a problem as a dud phone or a virus, so don't fret.

You were on the right track, the keyboard issue IS a hotkey being accidentally activated. The command for these actions is Search (the magnifying glass) plus a certain letter. So, the issue is that the phone for some reason thinks you are pressing the search key (the one on the physical keyboard, not the softkey below the screen). This happens to me every once in a while too. My solution is usually just to press the search button a few times, so the phone can realize when I'm pressing it and when I'm not. This always stops the problem for me. But, if you don't really use the hotkeys anyway, there's a more permanent solution. Go into settings>applications>quick launch. This is where you can program these keyboard shortcuts. You can also eliminate them. So if you want, you can go through the list and disable them all, and then even if the phone thinks you have the search key pressed down, there won't be any shortcuts to activate.

Your screen issue could be a number of things. Make sure you have the screen timeout set to a duration of your liking. If you frequently put the phone down or stop to think while you're texting and browsing, set the screen to not turn off for a minute or two. If your screen is blacking out like this during a call while you are trying to look at the phone, make sure you aren't blocking the proximity sensor at the top of the screen. The function of this sensor is to turn off the screen while the phone is held to your ear, so your cheek isn't pressing buttons while you talk. But, during calls like voicemail or entering an account number or PIN on the screen, you have to keep your hand clear of this sensor while you type, or it will turn off the screen like it's supposed to. Other than these two things, there's no reason the screen would really turn itself off, other than of course the End button being hit.

Hope this helps.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

BMB, great solution to the hotkey issue. I've had this problem on-and-off since I got my phone, and it's very aggravating, especially when you don't know what's happening. Since I don't use the hotkeys, I just went in and undefined them all. Once again, this forum has solved an odd little glitch and helped raise my satisfaction level with the Ally. Thanks!

Honestly droidrobot,, no offense my friend, but it seems like you're not very familiar with the Ally.

From what I see, your phone works fine. Smartphones have unleashed a whole new generation of communications, and technology.

Can we say....it's just a cellphone?....sure we can. But the Ally is a battery powered portable miniature computer with it's own Operating System.

It can do so many things, we have trouble figuring everything out!

It can be, and often is, frustrating to learn everything about the phone and all the functions it can perform. I imagine a few Ally's have hit the wall at around 65 MPH, or met Mr.Hammer out in the garage.

That's why this forum exist. JD had the foresight to see it happening many months ago and now, here we are. Ally users trying to get the most out of our phones, and learning more and more each day. Members and the big boys have always given their free time to help each other here, and you're one of us.

Spend as much time here as you like, between the manual and this site, we'll get the thing figured out. Here's an example,... http://www.lgallyfor...acting-strange/

By the way,...I'm glad you said phone a dud.....because if you would have said Milk Dud,....AA would want to post about favorite snacks again...

thanks for everyones input. yes as much as I love milkduds let's not get AA started haha, but anyways the keyboard issue is solved but the screen issue is not having to do with blocking the sensor or anything simple. It will blackout the screen and nothing will bring it back except for a pull out the battery reboot.

Gotcha bot,....hate to say it but,....you might have to take it to a real Verizon store and show them. Your display is not working right.

Now,.......since the problem with this display cannot be resolved with the help of this, the premiere and best Ally forum on the 'net (including help from the big boys) the friendy Verizon folks will offer to replace the phone. If the issue cannot be resolved here,.....they will not be able to do so themselves.

Members, I know that's a bold statement,...but all of us have done it together. The readers come and go,...but we built the site.

Bot,....could ya hand me those Milk Duds.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    Gotcha bot,....hate to say it but,....you might have to take it to a real Verizon store and show them. Your display is not working right.

Now,.......since the problem with this display cannot be resolved with the help of this, the premiere and best Ally forum on the 'net (including help from the big boys) the friendy Verizon folks will offer to replace the phone. If the issue cannot be resolved here,.....they will not be able to do so themselves.

Members, I know that's a bold statement,...but all of us have done it together. The readers come and go,...but we built the site.

Bot,....could ya hand me those Milk Duds.

I like how "Friendly Verizon folks" is underlined. They havent been so friendly with me (of course i bought mine at an authorized reseller, tried to take it in for a defective SD card slot less than 30 days into it, they said if i wanted a new one i'd have to go to the authorized reseller, so i did and they told me to take a hike. Last time i buy a phone there. Fourtunatly the problem hasent been happening as much lately but it still has some problems with the SD Card...)

I thought you took it back to the authorized reseller? Did you take it back to where you bought it?

Have you taken it to a real Verizon store? Have I missed something here?

Believe me my friend, a real Verizon store would not have told you to take a hike. Especially within the first 30 days. That's an industrial strength no no. Only possible thing I can think of is if you became belligerent in the store. Then they might tell you to take a hike.

Quote Originally Posted by droidrobot View Post
    thanks for everyones input. yes as much as I love milkduds let's not get AA started haha, but anyways the keyboard issue is solved but the screen issue is not having to do with blocking the sensor or anything simple. [b]It will blackout the screen and nothing will bring it back except for a pull out the battery reboot.

I recently had this happen to me. I got a call while I was doing a crossword puzzle, and after the call ended, my screen never came back on. The keys were backlit, but I couldn't see anything on the screen. Tried to reboot, still nothing. Had to pull the battery out to get it going again. It's only happened once, but it's a bit unnerving. I *really* enjoy this phone, but this plus the other little lags in performance frustrate me, especially when I try to show it off to my friends. Sorry; just venting a little bit...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links