Phone Storage Low

This is a discussion on Phone Storage Low within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Is there anyway to down load apps to your sd card. seems like just a couple apps and i get the phone storage is getting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone Storage Low

Is there anyway to down load apps to your sd card. seems like just a couple apps and i get the phone storage is getting low message.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Hi mama, the answer is no. Must have been big apps! The low memory message displays when the phone is down to about 20mb free space. Folks here have 30--40 apps loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by mamamonkmee View Post
    Is there anyway to down load apps to your sd card. seems like just a couple apps and i get the phone storage is getting low message.

I found that the best way to manage your phone's internal memory is to simply clean it out once a day. Get rid of all unnecessary stored email and text messages (or save them to your SD card id they're important). Also, go into settings and click "manage apps." Once all your apps are on screen, click on each one and clear the cache. DO NOT clear the data (or hit uninstall, obviously), because that will most likely erase your settings for each app. I have tons of apps installed, probably more than 50, but by doing what I suggested, this keeps my "getting low message" at bay. I usually hover right around 18 to 20 MB's of available memory. My warning only goes off if I go below 16 MB.

Quick system info, free in the market, comes with a one touch cache cleaner that I run once a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman19 View Post
    Quick system info, free in the market, comes with a one touch cache cleaner that I run once a day.

Bill and Ted say "Most excellent!" That'll save me the trouble of doing it myself.

Just out of curiosity, how much of the Ally's internal memory is available when you turn on the phone out of the box? I haven't downloaded "a ton" of apps, maybe a dozen or so, yet I hover around 50 MB available, and have dropped down to as low as 30 MB available. When we refer to internal memory, we're actually referring to the phone's ROM, correct? According to specs on Verizon site, the Ally has 512 MB ROM. Is the system and the preloaded software really taking up 400 MB of ROM or better?

Does this require the phone to be rooted? Does it automate the process of clearing the cache of the individual apps as glockman described?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    Does this require the phone to be rooted? Does it automate the process of clearing the cache of the individual apps as glockman described?

Does not require rooting, and does not automate the cache clearing process. It does have a widget however that you can place on one of your home screens (a little 'C') that you just have to hit to clear all caches.

Does not require rooting, and does not automate the cache clearing process. It does have a widget however that you can place on one of your home screens (a little 'C') that you just have to hit to clear all caches.

So when you hit that "C" does it do the equivalent of going into the list of apps, clicking the app then tapping the clear cache button?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads