Need to move pictures

This is a discussion on Need to move pictures within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; I got a new Ally 2 days ago. When I bought it at the Verizon store the rep transferred the contents of my old phone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to move pictures

I got a new Ally 2 days ago. When I bought it at the Verizon store the rep transferred the contents of my old phone to the Alley. When he did that I ended up with 16 pictures that appear to be stored in the phone's memory and not on the SD card. I can display them in Gallery but I cannot move them or delete them. I also cannot find them anyplace on the SD card which is why I believe they are stored in the phone memory. Any ideas on how to move them to the SD card or delete them? I have copies so they are not needed.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Get yourself a free file manager from the market and move the files manually. I myself use "Dual File Manager". If you get Dual File Manager, make sure you use the "Edit" menu when using copy/paste/move because they don't show up in the tap and hold menu.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

[s]They are definitely on the SD Card.[/s] If you just want to delete them, long-touch the picture. That will open a menu and allow you to check more than 1 picture at a time. You can also "Share" your pictures from that menu if you want them sent to Gmail or other apps you are using.

OR

The Gallery will tell you in which folder your pics exist. It is the title of that gallery subsection. If you cannot find them, try to connect your phone to your computer (mount the phone from the notification bar so your computer can see the phone), and search the SD Card for the folder title stated in the Gallery. While you are at it, I suggest creating a folder on your SD Card called Pictures. Your phone will recognize the contents as pictures and show them in the gallery. Also, for future reference, the folder "DCIM" stands for Digital Camera Images. That is where your camera/camcorder will send images/movies.

ThinkFree Office that came with the phone is also a file manager but it does not show thumbnails and is a little tricky to understand (use long-touch). Other apps are much easier for file management, but none are as easy as just using your computer IMO! Dual FM looks interesting, but I use Linda File Manager for other functionality like the App Backup and Task Manager included.

Welcome to the Ally. In general, remember long-touch is your friend! Oh, and MENU. Menu does many different things in different places and is a good place to start when figuring things out.

Qasar,

Thanks for the help. I had already set up the SD card according to your tutorial. That was very handy. I know the pictures should be on the card but they are not. I have searched the card on my computer, with ThinkFree and with Astro File Manager. They are not on the card. I used Astro to look through the phone but have not spotted them yet. I tried the search function and that found nothing. In gallery they show up under a group called "Garage". When I long touch a picture my options are "Share" and "More". When I select "More" I get "Details" and "Set as wallpaper". Under "Details" I get Title, Type, Taken on, Album, Location and Size. Location is always Unknown and Size is always 0.00B. Any other thoughts?

So, did you search "Garage?"

Hhmmm, if you know the file type perhaps you can go back to the computer and search the SD Card for the type? Remember to use the computer file extension, like "*.jpg" instead of JPEG, for example. If you know the file name you can also try a search for that... ??

That "Location" description in Details is where you took the picture BTW. Some of my pics have the address of the bar I was patronizing. Pretty cool, eh?

What is the file type BTW? Mine are all JPEGs and the menu offers me Share, Delete, More. More offers me Details, Set As, Crop, Rotate Left, Rotate Right. Set As offers me Contact Icon or Wallpaper.

The Manual (page 209) states:

To delete an album

You can delete an album and its contents from your microSD card.

1. Open the main Gallery window.

2. Press the Menu Key twice. (This gives me the same options as long-touch)

3. Checkmark or uncheck the album(s) you want to delete.

4. Touch the Delete button at the bottom center of the screen.

Touch Confirm Delete in the balloon that pops up.

Aaahhh! The Verizon Rep *may* have put them in the Phone using advanced user permissions. This is the only reason I can think of why a search of the SD Card did not return your sought info. "Linda File Manager" allows you to browse the Phone contents after accepting the warning. I imagine Astro will too but I only used Astro for a little while and do not have the space to download it again until the 2.2 update. In Linda it is the first option called "My Phone." I peaked in there but an wary of messing with any files in there. However, you should see thumbnails of your pictures if using a good File Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    So, did you search "Garage?"

Hhmmm, if you know the file type perhaps you can go back to the computer and search the SD Card for the type? Remember to use the computer file extension, like "*.jpg" instead of JPEG, for example. If you know the file name you can also try a search for that... ??

That "Location" description in Details is where you took the picture BTW. Some of my pics have the address of the bar I was patronizing. Pretty cool, eh?

What is the file type BTW? Mine are all JPEGs and the menu offers me Share, Delete, More. More offers me Details, Set As, Crop, Rotate Left, Rotate Right. Set As offers me Contact Icon or Wallpaper.

The Manual (page 209) states:

To delete an album

You can delete an album and its contents from your microSD card.

1. Open the main Gallery window.

2. Press the Menu Key twice. [b](This gives me the same options as long-touch)

3. Checkmark or uncheck the album(s) you want to delete.

4. Touch the Delete button at the bottom center of the screen.

Touch Confirm Delete in the balloon that pops up.

I searched "Garage". I searched *.jpg. No luck. In Gallery I press Menu key twice and then select the Garage folder and the delete button disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by Qasar View Post
    Aaahhh! The Verizon Rep *may* have put them in the Phone using advanced user permissions. This is the only reason I can think of why a search of the SD Card did not return your sought info. "Linda File Manager" allows you to browse the Phone contents after accepting the warning. I imagine Astro will too but I only used Astro for a little while and do not have the space to download it again until the 2.2 update. In Linda it is the first option called "My Phone." I peaked in there but an wary of messing with any files in there. However, you should see thumbnails of your pictures if using a good File Manager.

Linda File Manager is not listed in the Market. Astro allows me to look through phone storage and SD card storage. There are so many folders in phone storage I was hoping someone may know where to look to narrow my search. The search function finds nothing on the phone storage or the SD card. I guess I will just have to search folders one by one. Thanks.

If you are searching the Phone Storage, I think it would be in the System folder. Try System/Media, maybe?

What a PITA! I feel for you. Short of searching every folder, make whoever did this to you fix it.

Seems all the Linda Programs were removed. I wonder why. It could be a Google protest thing. I guess I'll go back to Astro eventually but I don't have the space. I like the interface in Linda, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links