Can I remove Apps that came with the phone?

This is a discussion on Can I remove Apps that came with the phone? within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; Hi All, I'm Deb and I just got my LG Ally from Verizon 4days ago. It's my 1st "Droid" and I'm very excited by all ...

Thread: Can I remove Apps that came with the phone?

Hi All,

I'm Deb and I just got my LG Ally from Verizon 4days ago. It's my 1st "Droid" and I'm very excited by all it's capabilities. I'm a former SW Engineer - now semi-retired. I've started my own business ....I'll be traveling some and at times, when I need to show a customer something on my website, it's fabulous that I can "take them there" via my PHONE!!

Here's the issue...."somehow" an application I do NOT want got downloaded to my phone. So, how can I delete the application? I certainly don't want to waste 'bandwidth' with unwanted, unneeded apps!

I'm re-posting this question as I believe I mistakenly posted it to the wrong area ... and I really need an answer one way or the other. I posted the ? originally, yesterday. And while there where many views... I recieved no replies - not even a comment. Could someone please let me know if there's a way to delete loaded apps or "NOT"

My Thanks [in advance] ...I'd appreciate ANY insight you can share with me!

Cheers! "RedFox"

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Android Sr Member blackmetalbuick's Avatar
    We do our best to help everyone out, don't take it personally if your thread gets views and doesn't have any responses yet. Please allow more than 1 day before you repost the question. Then we have another thread taking up room on the forums, and someone else might not get their question answered.

Removing apps is a pretty basic function. You might want to check out the full LG Ally User Guide available online, since the phone doesn't really come with complete instructions in the box.

http://cache.vzw.com...g_ally/ally.pdf

The answer to your question is:

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

From here, you will get a list of your current applications. Press on whichever one you wish to modify, and there will be a button to uninstall it.

Also, I'm not sure which app you think downloaded itself to your phone, but that isn't really possible. It may be an app that came pre-installed on the phone? In that case, they do not allow us the freedom to uninstall those. So if you go to the menu I've directed you to, and you don't see the app that you want to remove, that means it is one that can't be modified or removed. But, assuming this is an app that somehow did get downloaded, you'll be able to get rid of it.
    LG Ally - SW V 8 - Rooted - Velocity 0.3

As BMB has pointed out, this is a pretty basic function, kinda like sending a text message.

New members....please take a few minutes to see if your ? has already been answered in the forums. This ? could have been answered within a few minutes by following this advice. No need to wait 24 hours for a personal reply.

As we see here, the same ? was posted twice, both times in the wrong forum. Make a minimal effort to to see how the forum works before asking for help.

The reason your new topic may get several views but no replies is simple. The members that have read your ? may not know the correct answer. Some might know, but for whatever reason don't take the time to leave a reply. BMB is very helpful here, along with the other big boys, and spends hours here at the site trying to be helpful to other Ally users. We are lucky to have members like him / them.

I see that you say applications that have been preinstalled can not be removed. Take one app city ID it requires a monthly subscription. Assuming I don't want this app or featyre there is no way to remove it after the initial trial period expires?

Thank you.

No, you cannot remove it. At least not unless you root your phone which will void your warrenty. As long as you don't create an account, you won't be billed for it.
    Motorola Droid 4

Why would they make the pre-installed apps uninstallable? I think it's ridiculous that I have to scroll past apps and apps that I will never use to get to ones that I have downloaded. Besides, how much space/memory are they taking up that I could be using for things that I want/need? My sister has been having memory issues with her Ally and I bet that if she could delete the apps she doesn't want, she'd be better off!

I love LG phones; that's all I've ever had, but I think that the uninstallable apps is a bit much. They are basically telling all of us that we HAVE to have these programs regardless of whether you will use them and that's not fair. As consumers, we should be able to customize our phones to our needs, not have to work around the crap that they think we need. I understand that most of the apps are ones that a lot of people would end up downloading anyway, but CityID, which requires a subscription, can go. So can Socialite. Also, Facebook and MySpace should be removable since not everyone has accounts on both sites. Some people don't have accounts on either, yet they are forced to deal with the apps on their devices. Skype Mobile and Talk are also apps that I don't use...yet I have to keep them. Doesn't make any sense to me!

Is there going to be a way to remove them on newer devices? If so, at least I have that to look forward to on my next phone.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetalbuick View Post
    We do our best to help everyone out, don't take it personally if your thread gets views and doesn't have any responses yet. Please allow more than 1 day before you repost the question. Then we have another thread taking up room on the forums, and someone else might not get their question answered.

Removing apps is a pretty basic function. You might want to check out the full LG Ally User Guide available online, since the phone doesn't really come with complete instructions in the box.

http://cache.vzw.com...g_ally/ally.pdf

The answer to your question is:

Settings > Applications > Manage Applications

From here, you will get a list of your current applications. Press on whichever one you wish to modify, and there will be a button to uninstall it.

Also, I'm not sure which app you think downloaded itself to your phone, but that isn't really possible. It may be an app that came pre-installed on the phone? In that case, they do not allow us the freedom to uninstall those. So if you go to the menu I've directed you to, and you don't see the app that you want to remove, that means it is one that can't be modified or removed. But, assuming this is an app that somehow did get downloaded, you'll be able to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by arielokinawa View Post
    Why would they make the pre-installed apps uninstallable? I think it's ridiculous that I have to scroll past apps and apps that I will never use to get to ones that I have downloaded. Besides, how much space/memory are they taking up that I could be using for things that I want/need? My sister has been having memory issues with her Ally and I bet that if she could delete the apps she doesn't want, she'd be better off!

I love LG phones; that's all I've ever had, but I think that the uninstallable apps is a bit much. They are basically telling all of us that we HAVE to have these programs regardless of whether you will use them and that's not fair. As consumers, we should be able to customize our phones to our needs, not have to work around the crap that they think we need. I understand that most of the apps are ones that a lot of people would end up downloading anyway, but CityID, which requires a subscription, can go. So can Socialite. Also, Facebook and MySpace should be removable since not everyone has accounts on both sites. Some people don't have accounts on either, yet they are forced to deal with the apps on their devices. Skype Mobile and Talk are also apps that I don't use...yet I have to keep them. Doesn't make any sense to me!

Is there going to be a way to remove them on newer devices? If so, at least I have that to look forward to on my next phone.
    Ariel,

What i've done is download LauncherPro which is a theme that gives you a lot more functionality/customization. There are a lot of features, one that allows you to hide applications from the application drawer. So if you don't use CityID and you don't want to see it, you can simply hide it. Makes it much easier to find the app you're looking for. Of course, this won't help the OP too much because it's not actually uninstalling it, just hiding it, so it's still taking up space/resources.

BFid

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox View Post
    Hi All,

I'm Deb and I just got my LG Ally from Verizon 4days ago. It's my 1st "Droid" and I'm very excited by all it's capabilities. I'm a former SW Engineer - now semi-retired. I've started my own business ....I'll be traveling some and at times, when I need to show a customer something on my website, it's fabulous that I can "take them there" via my PHONE!!

Here's the issue...."somehow" an application I [b]do NOT want got downloaded to my phone. So, how can I delete the application? I certainly don't want to waste 'bandwidth' with unwanted, unneeded apps!

I'm re-posting this question as I believe I mistakenly posted it to the wrong area ... and I [b]really [b]need an [b]answer one way or the other. I posted the ? originally, yesterday. And while there where many views... I recieved no replies - not even a comment. Could someone please let me know if there's a way to delete loaded apps or "NOT"

My Thanks [in advance] ...I'd appreciate ANY insight you can share with me!

Cheers! "RedFox"

I have to agree. The pre-installed apps that come with the phone are seldom used, and are only taking room and memory away from the apps that I want.

Going to Settings> Applications> Manages Applications only allows you to delete the apps you've chosen to install, NOT the pre-installed ones you don't want. Frustrating. Such a waste of a potentially perfect phone.

The only way to remove the preinstalled apps is to root the phone so that you have Superuser rights. That gives you the ability to make any changes to your phone that you'd like. I've done it and couldn't be happier that I did. I even went as far as to make a custom stock ROM with all the apps removed that I didn't want or use. When I was done, I had 143mb of internal storage space available for apps (which is 15mb more than the specs say it has) plus I didn't have to worry about any of those apps running and taking up RAM either.

Ads