vz navagator

This is a discussion on vz navagator within the LG Ally Help forums, part of the LG Ally category; My old phone had the VZ navagator, this one has google maps, I like the navagator better, is there an app with voice turn by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vz navagator

My old phone had the VZ navagator, this one has google maps, I like the navagator better, is there an app with voice turn by turn directions or do I need to spend another 10.00 per month to get that. Does the goole maps have turn by turn directions.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If you upgraded Google Maps, there should be an icon in your app drawer that simply says Navigation. This is what you want to run for turn by turn directions.
    Motorola Droid 4

Mine came with Google Maps Navigator when I bought it, I didn't have to update it. I just assumed all Ally's came this way. If you don't have a "Navigator" icon I would go to Settings > About Phone > System Update. Run all the updates there.

It says my phone is up to date, how do I update Google Maps, when I go there it just shows a Map, zIt does give driving directions, but I really want the voice so I don't have to look at it when I am driving.

Read post #2 again.

Quote Originally Posted by cognac32 View Post
    It says my phone is up to date, how do I update Google Maps, when I go there it just shows a Map, zIt does give driving directions, but I really want the voice so I don't have to look at it when I am driving.

To check for updates to Apps open the Market and hit Menu, then touch Downloads. This will show what you have installed and what might have an update available. Google Maps is definitely one that has had a few updates since I have had my phone. The latest was "Google Maps Street View," I believe (or was that an add-on?).

Make sure your GPS is turned on when you are trying to use Maps or Navigator also. I usually have my GPS turned off to save battery (and because I rarely go anywhere!), and it took me forever to figure out why neither application would tell me where I was or where I wanted to go.

You should have not one but two pre-installed apps that will get you to turn-by-turn navigation with voice in Google Navigation. Neither app's icon is preloaded on the homescreen, as far as I know, so you'll have to go into all apps and look for either the "Navigation" app or the "Car Home" app. If you use Navigation, on the first screen you can type in your destination and it will launch turn-by-turn with voice. From Car Home, hit "directions," then type in your end point and touch "go." That pulls up a screen with driving directions; hit "navigate" at that point and it launches turn-by-turn, etc.

Your thread initially piqued my interest because I used -- and depended on and loved -- VZ Navigator for several years (literally over three phones). But one of the reasons I was able to justify upgrading to the $30 data package for a smartphone was that I knew I could quit paying $10 a month for VZ Nav and use Google Nav instead. I will say this: Google Nav through the Android platform is not nearly as intuitive as VZ Nav. But, once you've learned how to navigate the Navigator, it works pretty well. My only complaint is that it seems to get stuck searching for GPS location, and sometimes I have to back out and restart.

Good luck!

Plus the voice for the Google NAV is pretty robotic. Does anyone know how to change it that doesn't involve rooting the phone and other kinds of hackery?

Nope, you can't change it. I turned my sound off so I don't have to listen to it.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links